HMRC wants your views

Just some background, I help low income people with their tax. HMRC is trying (not before time) to simplify the UK personal tax system and wants opinions on how to improve. I've sent in my penny's worth but in case anyone else wants to add their thoughts here's the document (which contains an email link).

Alternatively answer the questions below (there's 18 of them) and I'll collate responses and send it in from the "Runner's World forum"

Rants accepted!

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_ConsultationDocuments&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_PROD1_031736

Vision image
Do you want to know more about the tax you pay, and what do you want to know? (good start here HMRC I think you wanted to say, "Do you want to know more about the tax you pay? What do you want to know?)

Where do you currently look for information on how much tax you have paid?

If you had better access to tax information do you think that you would have more confidence in:
                    a. HMRC; and
                    b. the accuracy of your own tax?

Do you know what to do now if you are unsure your tax is right?

Do you know what your responsibilities are regarding tax?

Do you want to know why tax is paid and more information on how it is spent?

Online Accounts

If you could access [your tax] online, how do you think this would improve your awareness and understanding of tax?

How often do you envisage you would use an online account?

Pre-filled Tax Returns (your P60/bank interest already filled in for you so that you don't have to gather )

If you complete an SA return [self assessment return] , do you think you would benefit from your information being pre-filled in your SA return?

What do you consider the benefits and risks of pre-filling to be?

What do you think the most important areas are to pre-fill that would reduce the potential for mistakes and save time?

Tax Statements

Would you like to have an annual tax statement that sets out your income and tax liability for the year?

Would you want to view your annual tax statement if it included your overall personal tax contribution, your average tax rate and other general tax information?

What else could an annual tax statement show that would be of use and/or of interest to you?

Education/ Improving Customer Experience image

What educational material would you like to see to help taxpayers understand and comply with their tax responsibilities?

What areas of the personal tax system cause you most confusion or difficulty?

Do you have any other ideas for how the Government can achieve greater engagement of UK citizens in tax?

Comments