A new cycling classic

Looks interesting...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/16749106.stm

I wonder whether the National Trust will get sniffy about Box Hill access? 

Comments

• Wouldn't it be funny if the size of the Pirate contingent dwarfed the pro teams. Surely a News at Ten item?

• that's fine as a pro road race FF but the 2 day event that Boris is proposing also contains this (from BBC yesterday)

"The first day of the festival will be aimed at all ages and abilities and designed to promote the fun of cycling in London.

It is hoped up to 70,000 people will cycle on an eight-mile (13km) traffic-free loop taking in the capital's iconic roads and landmarks.

On the second day organisers expect up to 35,000 amateur, club and world class elite cyclists to race a 100-mile (161km) challenge course.

It will be largely based on the route of the 2012 Games cycle road race, incorporating the Surrey countryside, and finish at an iconic location in central London."

70000 riders on an 8 mile loop?? fecking carnage....

and 35000 on a 100 mile sportive using the Olympic road race circuit?? even more carnage with a load of testosterone fuelled club cyclists trying to emulate Olympic racing..

great ideas but poorly thought out bar the pro event

• Thanks for that FB- I didn't see any coverage of it yesterday.  35,000 would preclude doing loops of Box Hill a la Olympic route.  It will also be "interesting" to see quite how to get that many bicycles into London via public transport. 
  • Boris started his Skyride in London a few years ago. 55000 apparently took part last year,  80000 the year before.

The 100 mile route would be carnage, esp going down Dustboy Corner.
  • Rummages around for pot of grease to lay out on said corner....

Though I got round it successfully last time....

• http://www.london.gov.uk/media/press_releases_mayoral/mayor-announces-world-class-cycling-festival

So, the press release says:

The Mayor’s team will now launch a tender process, through Transport for London and London & Partners, inviting potential bidders to become the commercial delivery partner for the event.

So no guarantee of anything then

• Just for comparison, how many do London-Brighton every year?  It's walking only on some of the hills when the numbers peak in that one. 
  • About 30,000 Dave if Wiki/google to be believed.

I would have thought this event may attract a slightly more hardcore cyclist.

• L2B gets about 30-35000 each year and it's a figging mare as soon as the roads goes up a little bit as so many get off and walk. I gave up with doing it many years ago because of that.

but my point with 35k harder core riders on a 100 mile sportive is that it will still be too crowded to keep a decent speed going even if most riders don't dismount - a sportive of 500 or so still gets very busy at times. they would need to stagger 35k rider start times over a very long period to make it even half decent as an enjoyable event.

don't see it working somehow

• FerrousFerret wrote (see)

http://www.london.gov.uk/media/press_releases_mayoral/mayor-announces-world-class-cycling-festival

So, the press release says:

The Mayor’s team will now launch a tender process, through Transport for London and London & Partners, inviting potential bidders to become the commercial delivery partner for the event.

So no guarantee of anything then

So then they can blame the organising company when it all goes tits up.  Good one Boris.

• I reckon 35k on a sportive is just about possible but you'd need a staggered start over several hours. Maybe start at 7am and set 2.5k off and another 2.5k every 15 minutes.

Think the Marmotte is about 8k and two starts something like 7am and 8am (might be wrong but it's something like that) but that is on open roads - I'm assuming in the UK they'd need to close the roads due to the amount of traffic.

100 miles in the South East would be much quicker than the Alps though so you could keep setting people off all morning and they'd still have time to finish.
  • Another one for Mr Lunt? Probably puts it out of my price league then....
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

It sounds like a good idea but with too many cyclists taking part. As Fat Budda says - that amount of people in those roads is carnage waiting to happen.