Liverpool Half Marathon 2012

Comments

• When we came for the Liverpool Marathon we stayed at Travelodge in Wallasey New Brighton, its on The Wirrall but it was easy to get a bus from right outside the travelodge ( they ran every 10mins i think ) which took us into Liverpool They are doing rooms for £55 a night which is quite cheap if you share it

otherwise there is a new travelodge opening not sure when in Liverpool itself Liverpool Central The Strand, £86 a night, it doesnt include breakfast but when we went , i took a toaster and some brown bread and honey and some bananas for our breakfast, and we made our own breakfast in the room

( will be doing that again this sunday as bf running Gloucester marathon )
  • just a bit of warning about HM entries, there will be an email prompt about HM, Festival of Running, Tunnel 10K and the Marathon next week. The focus is on HM entries as they will stop on 26th February or before if the 8,000 limit is reached. Going well and on the way to 5,000 at the moment so no immediate panic but I wouldn't leave it too late.

If you have already entered then no need to worry.
  • Oh I will be picking up an entry on Sunday! Its either Liverpool, Chester or Loch Ness Marathon for me but as a scouser who lives in Chester, Loch Ness appeals! Come sell the Liverpool one to me people. My friend did it last year and loved it. However is there not quite a few laps around Sefton Park?
  • Helen Owens 2..........

As a scouser (im not) living in chester and only a 30min drive away, having not done it before who likes running and your mate did it last year......you shouldnt need talking into doing this race!!

Its a great event, the course is scenic and not to punishing (unless there is a head wind on the last 3 mile).  The number of people entering when i first did it 3 years ago was 5000 approx, last year was 7-8000 i think and this year is the same or more (ask Allan).  The event WILL sell out before race day and people WILL be cross with themselves for not entering sooner as demand is more than they supply!

As for Sefton Park, i think its just the one lap round it, i may be wrong as i just look at the floor the whole way round image

• I'll be entering pay day, but I'm hardly running at the moment due to my knee/IT Band. But I'm hopeful to getting a few weeks training in and will happily jog around and enjoy the atmosphere.

Hope the negotiations with the rusty gate are going well Alan.

• Warkie wrote (see)
    AlanRothwell wrote (see)
    Warkie - good to see your total commitment in advance!! I'm sure you will achieve your target times and I hope your training goes well.

Thanks Alan

Mrs Warkie  wants to get under 4 hours,for the Marathon ....image (she is 13 years younger than me)

My son James will be at the festival of running doing the 1 mile childrens fun run (he's 2 now) and Mrs Warkie will be doing the womens 10k P.B 55 minute

Went for a run yesterday 3 miles 23 minutes so getting there,booked to see a physio,i intend to stay on top of it this year...image

Whers's Liverbird ???

Barney Wales wrote (see)

Helen Owens 2..........

As a scouser (im not) living in chester and only a 30min drive away, having not done it before who likes running and your mate did it last year......you shouldnt need talking into doing this race!!

Its a great event, the course is scenic and not to punishing (unless there is a head wind on the last 3 mile).  The number of people entering when i first did it 3 years ago was 5000 approx, last year was 7-8000 i think and this year is the same or more (ask Allan).  The event WILL sell out before race day and people WILL be cross with themselves for not entering sooner as demand is more than they supply!

As for Sefton Park, i think its just the one lap round it, i may be wrong as i just look at the floor the whole way round image

Barney.....I think Helen was talking about Marathon plans...not half's.  The Liverpool Marathon did spend quite a bit of time in Sefton Park.....but in hindsight, those miles are going to be tough in any marathon....and there's worse places to run them than Sefton Park.  The rest of the course has some stunning features...Birkenhead Park was a suprise for me, the Liverpool Waterfront as we ran the Wirral riverside...Hamilton Square...the Tunnel, and the Tunnel Exit through to the Town Hall and James Street.  Upper Parliament Street was a pain in (more than) the arse...but the feeling at the top by the Cathedral was worth it...then into those hard 'park miles' but you get to run up to the Cathedral again and look down UPS as you realise the end is close...and as you draw in toward the Albert Dock the crowds will almost carry you towards that 26th mile marker and round the corner to see the finish line at that fabulous Waterfront.

Thats my sales pitch Helen....and I have nothing to do with RunLiverpool......I'm just someone who has decided to give it a go again in 2012!!!

• Only 8 weeks to go just hope to stay injury free ,
    Alan will there be any bands playing round the course like in the full marathon ?
  • Xabidood........Sorry, i just thought with her wanting to be 'talked' into doing the event, i thought she meant this one with it being L-HALF-M thread?  Any way, no harm done
  • Blue Steve - can't confirm bands at this time but will see what can be done.

Quick update on the start / finish - it will be as last year as I can't get an assurance that the rusty gates by the bridge will be removed in time and refurbishment work completed. That said I have had a very positive discussion about next year when we should be able to start and finish at the Pier Head when the building work around the Museum (and more importantly the approach road, bridge and access point) will be complete.
  • T shirts (technical fabric!!) have now been ordered so the race limit is now set at 8,000. Can't take any more over and above that so if you haven't entered I suggest you get a move on. Just on 5,000 entries now so they are going well.

Now, if only I can work out a system for the safe distribution of T shirts...
  • Technical Tees ? Ambassador you are spoiling us !!
  • Yes, I know! Speaking to Jakesy yesterday and he mentioned you lot are all on Facebook now to discuss the events?/ Thought it was quiet. I'm not on there!!
  • Sending mine and Keith entries on Monday. Payday Tuesdayimage. As usual skint in January.image. Looking forward to it. Really enjoyed it last year. Definitely spoiling us with technical t's. Just hope they are not tangerine. Coming from Preston hate anything tangerine/orange coloured!!
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I remember doing this the other year and it is not easy we ran though a park that was abit hilly but had a good time
  • Sefton Park, compo.

I entered last, doing it with a few mates and going round town for a few drinks afterwards as its my birthday that day.
  • I managed to walk the dog for about 3 miles today without any pain in my knee, maybe need to increase my mileage a bit to set a new pb for the half!
  • Elvis - you've got seven weeks so I wish you a speedy recovery! Entries are going well and we're on our way to 6,000 having just cleared the 5,000 mark. we should be at least on a par with last year at 7,500 and hopefully should be nearer 8,000 by race date!!

Should have the Tunnel 10K entries open online this week as well as the new Men Only 10K on the morning of the Women's 10K (May 6th). Will be interesting to see what the response is like to that one!!
  • Really looking forward to the Liverpool half marathon now,I just hope Alan turns the wind machine off this year, I was on for a pb until we hit the prom in the last race.

i clocked 79:13 at the 4 villages half last week so if i can stay ninjury free and we get a still day i`ll be targetting a low 78 mins.

• Jakesy - I believe young Atkins was disqualified from Helsby. Too young!!
  • Good to see it's on a different date to Chester this year will try to do both
  • Oh this is the half, just noticed I thought it was the full.
  • Does anyone know if there will be organized pace groups (i.e. 7,8, etc minute miles) as there was in 2011?
  • Jonathan Barnard 3....
    I have done this event the last two years on the trot (and doing it this year) and they normaly have 'Pacers' holding the min mile you want lolipop sticks in the air for you to see.
  • We are in. Got the email confirmation today. Thanks Alan.
  • There won't be any Pacer Groups in the race this year. RW were invited but declined I'm afraid.
    Perhaps if we took out advertising with them...?

Numbers are fast approaching 6,000 so we may well close entries on 26th February. Would be good to reach the 8,000 limit. Considerably bigger than Wilmslow and Chester HMs so well done to everyone taking part.

It's reassuring to know we can get access to the Pier Head for 2013 so that will make the event even more attractive and we will probably look at staging for entertainment on the day then as space will allow for this.

Someone asked me about seating at the finish (this year) and the seats will be there (as last year) so spectators will get a grandstand view.

JC - good to see you're in!
  • Entered. looking forward to it. Done this in 2009 and 2010 and the full last year. Always good events and a tech t-shirt this year! Quality. Be a good indication of how london marathon is going to go

• Really looking forward to this race, having pulled a hamstring with only two miles to go last year I am hopeful of running sub 1:30 this time round image
  • your not alone mate. my last three half's have been 1:30:04, 1:30.50 and 1:31.23 need to break 1:30. my best Liverpool half is 1:34 tho.
  • Alan or anyone else - any free car parking round there or in the area as looking to book a hotel for the Sunday night & set off early on the Monday.
  • Free parking in a city centre?? No. Some of the smaller hotels have their own parking but no sure which ones have free parking. Some do.