Buff Lightning 12hr

WiBWiB ✭✭✭
Going to be entering this... according to ProveloSupport on Twitter the entries open tomorrow. Anyone else going for a run out?

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Nice one! Done it before?
  • gmikegmike ✭✭✭
    Nope! First attempt at this type of sillyness image You?
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    My first race set by time instead of distance, but wont be my furthest race in distance. Seen the winner ran 12 laps last time, 120k in 12 hours. That is pretty good going.
  •  yes , doing this one in a mixed pair. as a warm up for the thunder run 24hr in july!!!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Just seen the Thunder Run thread... I can't make that one. This will be a good warm up for you both though no doubt.
  • I ran in the winning team last year. Going solo this year. Great course and nice and hilly. Well organised with a great goody bag last year. See you all there
  • I'm gonna be back for the 3rd year in a row as a solo runner. Love the course and the challenge of the 12hr format. I surprised myself in 2010 doing far better than expected but in 2011 the course kicked my arse and spat me out. So going back for
    some unfinished business image
  • See you there Stu, hoping for at least 12 laps,tough course though
  • Wayne - oh yeah tough as old boots! Make the thunder run course a walk in the park by comparison. For some reason the popularity of the Thunder is growing expoentially whilst it's sister race isn't. I actually think the lightning it a tougher race because of the profile and speed run. Love them both though!!
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

What is the course like under foot? Do you need full on trail/fell shoes (inov8 x-talon) or will something a little less radical (inov8 f-lites) suffice? I will bring both pairs with me anyway and check the course out the night before if possible just trying to get an idea.

Hoping for 12 laps at least myself... sprint finish anyone!? image

Wayne - Dropped you a message on Fetch recently. Good to see you on here too!

• Can't comment on thunder run,as I haven't seen it Stu, but definitely tough, especially at the start. I ran 38 minute laps last year, but will be taking it steady this year, looking at just under an hour a lap, and try and keep it steady.
    Wetter,thanks ,maybe do a few laps together if you fancy. Last year I wore Adidas Kanadia trail shoes to start, and they were fine, but the course was quite dry, the last two laps I wore road shoes for a bit more cushioning . It's grass to start, and you go straight up a hill for about a mile , then it levels off ,through some woods and down hill to half way, then a short climb into some more woods, and then on to a private road where you can see the start/ finish, then you drop down ,come back on yourself for few hundred metres on grass then quite flat to finish the lap. My Garmin said it wasn't quite 10k. Perfect for a sprint finish.

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

You luckly people doing this - I would do it again if it wasn`t clashing with something else...

Anyway my blog from last year LINK & while I was recovering I put together this Video....

I will look forward to reading the race reports.

I`m in for the Thunder Run later this year..

• I did Lightning last year as a solo and loved it. 
    I did no real training and was a broken man by 30 miles. image

It is however a cracking little event but unfortunatly my sensible head is telling me not to do it this year as I haven't done any training and wait until next year.

Best of luck to all taking part. image
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Cheers wayne for the info, will have a catch up there for sure. Will be interested what you have done since Lodnon to Brighton... and Mr K that video is useful too, I will take a read of your blog shortly.
  • Had a bad year last year due to injuries, after L2B, I ran Snowdon Marathon, still not fully recovered, but managed 3.08 ,was aiming for 3 hours. Then in January I got hamstring tendinitis behind my knee which messed up my plans for London, in March I ran lightning 12 hour in a team, but was running injured, and ran London really unfit, just managed to get under 3 hours. Took a break from running through to June to get over injuries and then in July I tore my Achilles which put me out until November. I entered Thames Path 100 for next month, but pulled out due to lack of mileage, just getting fitness back.now, hopefully avoid injury and have a good crack at Lightning run.I checked out your races on Fetch, you seem to be running well.Some good races and good time for London
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Had an ok last year, London was a badly run race but I was aiming for sub 3 so got what I went there for which was good. My first marathon and followed it up with my first 100 a couple months later!

I have been running ok so far this year and have an ok number of miles under my belt this month. I think I can manage 12 laps at Lightning 12 if I have a good day but will see how it goes! Best of luck with the next few weeks training mate... hope you can avoid injury image I am itching to go racing so this event cant come soon enough.

• I did it in a team of mixed 5 last year , we came 3rd. Was my first race after being out for 15 months on 6 weeks training.......Sh$te no one mentioned how tough it was. Still enjoyed the day, was fastest in the Team and went onto be selected to run in Welsh 10K Champs.....very character building.........good luck you Solo guys. Am doing it again with some ladies this year, thankfully not as fast as i have a key Championship race the following month. Fun day out in the Hills of Worcester.........image.
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Nice one Lexi - I have just been thinking about this race myself today. Really looking forward to it now. Got a few more weekends of back to back long runs and then should be good to go.

Go easy on us solo runners as you blast past image

• You will recognize me........I will be the tiniest runner there me thinks, dressed in Pirate Kit image. Give me a shout and i will cheer you on when i am having my rest.....erm unless the other ladies decide I can run some more laps for them......then i will be the one cursing the course en-routeimage. I had been out since before Christmas, pinged my Piriformis muscle, not content with resting, i started back and an awkward gait meant i rubbed my toe on the other foot, caused a blister that got so seriously infected i ended up in A&E with a balloon of a foot...Eeek.image. Out went a Half marathon Championship, but now am up and running, this will give me the incentive endurance to train for the next one in April. image (just need to get my speed work started........image). I do admire you and some of the Pirates who are doing it Solo, jeepers.. Good Luck and fingers crossed for a good day......am praying it will be dry....I don't do mud..........image.
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    The pirates should be easy enough to spot! I will most liekly be in club colours... black with 3 yellow bands.
  • Will def look out for you...........image Any other distinguishing markings?? Scar on the cheek, rose in the running vest or just the one after 3 hours looking as though he could kill a sausage sannie.....................image. x
  • Can you all answer something for me?

How do you feel about having a break after each lap? Is it easier or harder to keep running or to stop?

I really fancy this run because il ike the idea of a rest and a stretch after each 10k image

• Depends on how you have been building up to the race. image As we had a Team of 5 last year, and ran 3 laps each. I did 5.5 mile runs, then few hours later, did an hour on the treadmill at speed 14K. Then into Spin session and came out and did 20 minutes at speed 14K. But then i did have only 6 weeks to get my fitness back, so probably did OTT training, which worked for me.

If you can run after stopping for 10 minutes or so without the lactic acid kicking in then do that. Once again, its how you have conditioned your body prior....now is the time to try out what you will be doing on race day........don't wait till race day to have ago. Same with nutrition, don't be tempted to eat stuff that you would normally eat after a race, if you are going to run again. image

This Sunday, try a very very long run, and stop for the length of time you have planned for each lap...see how/if you recover better to go again, than if you would doing continuous running.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Less than 3 weeks!

Nigel - As already said it depends on your approach. I take it you are a solo runner by your question? Over 12 hours a lot of people will take walking breaks and things like that who are doing it solo. I intend to run as much as possible, I have heard that it is quite hilly early on so will use that as a natural walking break when required. If you are strict with yourself you will not lose much time by stopping briefly each lap, you will need to be slowing down near the start area to get food/drinks I guess anyway. I know I am only going to carry enough to get me through each lap and pick up fresh at the end of each lap.

How many laps are you aiming for?

• Hey does anyone know what the route is like? I'm planning on running solo (running sure)'. I did the thunder run last year as a pair and the route was a litte taxing in parts, so it was nice to have a 50 minute break between laps.
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Scott - Someone kindly posted a video or link on page 1. Also a description of the course...
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Good luck this weekend...can`t wait for the race reports to come in.image
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Sleep well folks & run well tomorrow.