Injinji toe socks - anyone wear them?

Just got a couple of pairs of these faintly comical looking toe socks to try out. Noticed straight away that even though they're the thinnest versions that they still make the toes of my usual shoes feel a lot tighter than normal, obviously cause they push the toes apart slightly. So the shoes are tighter feeling, but on a couple of trial runs (6 miles) it didn't cause any immediate problems.

Just wondering if I should be thinking about going up half a size with my next shoes if I decide to stick with these socks. I shall of course be taking them into my favourite running shop for fitting advice, but I'd be interested to hear how other people have got on with them...

Comments

• I had the same issue. They go well with my "barefoot" shoes, which are nice and wide across the toes. But with any other shoes they feel a little too snug, even in a bigger shoe size. I've given up on them with regular shoes, but I do like wearing them around the house. I'd be interested to hear what they say at your running shop.
  • Well, I've just tried them on with my brand new Inov-8s and I have to say they feel great. Much roomier than with my Asics, but not loose - just a nice fit. I got the Inov-8s for trails as I'm wanting to do some off-road ultras, and it was specifically for ultra distances that I'd been recommended the toe socks, so together they might be a great combination. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about them now, and also about the Inov-8s, whose fit  I was initially a bit unsure of, probably just because they feel totally different to road shoes.

I'm intending to go for some fitting advice this week, so once I've been I'll report back what the 'professional' opinion of the toe socks is...

• I got a pair at Xmas, was looking for some socks I can trust on my trail ultras later this year. Feel very weird to put on first time BUT so warm, so comfy and such a feeling of freedom and flexibility around the foot - I'm converted! Have to say though - haven't noticed any difference in the feel of any of my shoes (road or trail) when wearing them.

Just wish they made a compression version (although they would be a nightmare to put on!). Guess i'll have to go for the normal ones and get some calf sleeves!

• Hmmm. Maybe it's just because I already wear my shoes relatively tight - the last time I bought a new pair of Asics in a 6.5 the sales guy/shoe fitter was wondering if I wouldn't prefer a size 7 as he thought the 6.5s were a bit neat, but I thought the 7s felt too big. So probably with a 7 the socks would be perfect.

I went out for an easy 9 miler today with them on, and by 7/8 miles they were chafing a bit; not in the places where my socks normally chafe, but at the ends of my big toes. I think I'll end up going for the bigger shoes and they'll be fine. Already liking how they stop my toes rubbing together. 

• Well, a few weeks on and I can safely say I'm completely converted to these funny looking socks. Went out for a quick 3 miler wearing 'normal' socks a couple of nights ago and they just didn't feel right. I couldn't wait to get my Injinjis back on.

As for the shoe fitting advice, it was a total revelation. Very helpful. I came away with a new pair of the same old Cumulus that I've always been perfectly happy with, but as I'd expected, in a half size bigger than what I normally wear. I also took along my new Inov-8s, was told they were the right overall size length-wise but a bit too loose around the widest part of my foot, and was given some free insoles to put under the shoes' own insoles to pad them out a bit and make them fit better. 

All in all, a very reassuring fitting session from a guy who obviously really knew what he was talking about. 

• Injinji do Compression Socks - Injinji Compression

Injinji Socks will always make your normal trainers feel a bit tighter in the toe box, as your toes are more spaced out due the fabrics in between your toes. But they are probably one of the most comfy socks I have worn with no blister issues at all.

• I have been wearing these for years and def prefer a tight fit. I am a 6 and have the small. Any movement on the toes and it kind of defeats the object.
  • Hmmm. I'm a 6.5 and I bought a couple of pairs in the medium size. Got them on the internet so couldn't try them on first. Seemed okay but I thought they might be just a bit on the big side so then bought a pair in small to compare. They were definitely TOO small! I do have quite wide feet though. Glad I bought both sizes to compare or I'd still be wondering if I'd got the right ones...
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I've got ToeToe socks which are the same idea.  I only wear them for long runs when blistering was becoming an issue.  They seem to keep the toes free from blisters, but best of all because there's less slack material under the forefoot they seem also to prevent the huge blisters I got on the balls of the feet in distances over 35 miles.

They are a pig to get on though, and no way can I put these in my bag for a change of socks mid race!  They also are have wear issues - they seem to wear out more quickly.  Don't know if that's the same for Injinji.

For shoes, probably best to go for a wide fitting than larger size?

• I'm completely converted to toe socks both for running and mountain walking. I enjoy the feeling of freedom around the toes but most of all where I used to regularly get blistered toes on long walks this now never happens. Recently, after a very long, hard day in the Lakes I was one of the few in our group completely blister free. Having narrow feet, I have not experienced the fitting issues discussed in previous posts.
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I was a bit sceptical at first but wore some on a long run today and I must say they were brilliant, great fit, comfy and no blisters between the toes, I've just ordered some more!!!
  • bought some for use with my vibrams, i still wear them with my other shoes, cant say i notice a whole bunch of difference between them and normal running socks tbh but they are very high quality, last well and are well padded.

• Injinji toes sock are fantastic, but i do prefer to wear a size up as they seem to run a little small. There are a few different weights available also, for winter the Outdoor version are amazingly warm and not much thicker than standard weight Injinji Outdoor Socks

When it's a bit warmer, you cant beat the lightweights, feels like your barefoot pretty much Injinji lightweight socks

• I got lots of blister problems through 2012 these have cured that. Also if you go to the toe toe website, for me, their socks are cheaper and even better
  • Personally i dont feel that the Toe Toe socks are as good quality as the Injinji, although they are a bit cheaper

• The Injinji toe socks in my experience are exceptional, I do wear VFF Komodo and Speed but usually without socks. In my Adidas Adios and my Newton Distance the Injinji work brilliantly, no blisters, no rubbing at all and I wear my shoes pretty snug. They are pretty expensive and feel a bit funny at first but once you are used to them you won't go back. The Toe Toe ones are cheaper and feel it. I only wear the Toe Toe ones when I wear my VFF for work as they do rub a little (in my experience) when running.

I'm robably going to wear my Injinji when I do the White Cliffs 50 and the Rat Races The Wall later in the year as I can't find socks I prefer

• I found the Injinji didn't last as well as the Toetoe ones

• Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent price for Ininji socks-My wife and I have been using these for a year with no problems and we need to buy more, they have lasted a year and the place I got them from before are no longer. Appreciate any help as to buy 8 pairs at £10/£11 each is heavy. Thanks

• That's not a bad price for them

• I wear Toetoe socks all the time now, I thought I'd try them as I used to get blisters where my toes rubbed together. Never happens at all now & I'm happy about that. Got 3 pairs for £15 from a SportsPursuit sale, bargain!

• Weirdly enough I've only ever had sore toes whilst wearing injinji toe socks but that was 15k on snow/ice in the alps over Christmas. Other than that I absolutely love them! I have 4 or 5 pairs now and find that they let me spread my toes out nicely when I'm running in my inov8 f-lite195's or mudroc 290's.

• andy x wrote (see)

I wear Toetoe socks all the time now, I thought I'd try them as I used to get blisters where my toes rubbed together. Never happens at all now & I'm happy about that. Got 3 pairs for £15 from a SportsPursuit sale, bargain!

paulkrunner wrote (see)

The Injinji toe socks in my experience are exceptional, I do wear VFF Komodo and Speed but usually without socks. In my Adidas Adios and my Newton Distance the Injinji work brilliantly, no blisters, no rubbing at all and I wear my shoes pretty snug. They are pretty expensive and feel a bit funny at first but once you are used to them you won't go back. The Toe Toe ones are cheaper and feel it. I only wear the Toe Toe ones when I wear my VFF for work as they do rub a little (in my experience) when running.

I'm robably going to wear my Injinji when I do the White Cliffs 50 and the Rat Races The Wall later in the year as I can't find socks I prefer

I'm doing white cliff 50 as well, looks like we will be meeting each other.
    I had 3 pairs of Injinji, i bought them from US which is not too exp, around 6 pounds each. Have to wear them when I use my VFF.
    nowadays i use other socks too, like Drymax hyperthin which is exceptional thin and good. They never retain water. I have a hilly socks too, use the new socks for a marathon, blister free too
  • I love wearing my injinji toe socks.  I was always suffering from blisters and toe nails cutting into other toes causing bleeding during longer runs.  No matter how short I keep my toe nails, I always get them cutting into the next toe.  These socks stopped that.  They are brilliant.  I always run with them now.