Brathay Windermere Marathon

Doing this for the 1st time any tips and hints. Also does anyone have a copy of the route.

Comments

• I ran this in 2010 as a first marathon and really enjoyed it. It's hard work and hilly but don't let that put you off.

• Race route and profile from the event website

My favourite marathon - and not just because it's on my doorstep.  Not that hilly by Lake District standards but will catch out the underprepared - do you training on undulating routes and you'll be fine.

• I am a 10 in 10 runner image

As CA saidIt’s not so hilly for that part of the world but a real undulating course in places, has a great finish where you run up the hill towards the house (where is everyone you say?) over the hill wow hundreds of people cheering you home on a little downhill section and across the line you go. Incorporates the marathon with a little fun day as well to keep the family entertained whilst you run.

I am with CA, its one of my favourite UK marathons, very well organised, fantastic atmosphere, timing chip and not an expensive day, very friendly and good medal, no  shirt though unless you are 10 in 10 imagerunner but you can purchase a very good WM tee from Pete Bland (£15 I think) on the day.

• I'm going to do this as my first Marathon... looks like a great route, hard, but I figure the scenery should keep me going!
  • B78- It’s a really good marathon and well done on choosing it for your first, very friendly marathon and I’m sure the other runners will keep you going, I don’t remember it being as hard as people make out and sure you will be ok if you put the training in. image

• Hi All,

Sounds like a great event, would like to see if I can stay uninjured  before committing, but don't want to miss out - does it usually fill up?

Cheers,

Rob

• Hi Rob,

We usually have entries available right up to the closing date a week before the event however it is growing more popular each year. I would suggest you check back with us in January/February just to be sure.

Best Wishes,

Ali Harris
    Brathay Trust
  • Thanks Ali, refreshingly earnest. I'll hopefully be straining at the bit by then.
  • Rob- I would just book it , why not raise some £££'s for the Brathay Trust as well along the way image
  • I've entered, so need to get some "undulating" practice in before May.

If the start's only about a mile from Ambleside, do most people walk there? I'm guessing that'll be the best place to find somewhere to stay.
  • I've just looked at the route as a spectator I would either see the start and the finish with the way the route goes, although if i took my bike, i could cycle on ahead mmmmmm, has a think , how hilly is it lol
  • b78 I'm a newb too. Only been running since May but I'm up for the challenge image
  • This will be my second marathon image I've done the London 10000, Derby Kilomathon, Brighton Marathon and Robin Hood Half Marathon, so can't wait for this will be something completely different. I need some hills to train on though!
  • I'm back again! Was here last year to seek revenge on the evil short steep climb at Bowness around 20.5 miles. It made me stop and was worried that I weren't gonna finish the race as i'd totally hit the wall. Fortunately I found the energy to finish so I'm back this year to set things right. I stopped for 8 minutes to recompose myself again and those 8 minutes meant I missed out on a 3:30 with a 3:38.

Mie 7 is the worst hill up there but at least it's early. The worst of it's over after 20.5 so save yourself till then is my advice. Then it's flat / downhill until the last mile when it slightly goes up again.

It's a beautiful course, best i've seen from any HM / FM ever! I met the legendary Steve  from Coventry (500 Marathon Man) who gave me some great advice.

For accomodation there's a few b and b's in Lake Road  Ambleside only just over a mile from the start so go there if you're not local.

It's all about subbing 3:30 this year; doing everything in my power to ensure this will be the case.

Thanks Ste

• Does anyone know what gels will be available at water stations? Would like to give them a try in training first so I can decide if I need to bring my own or not.
  • Hi Chris (Charles) I have run Brathay for the last four years, there has never been gels at the water stations, just Kendal mint cake! They have had a sports drink in the past (I seem to remember SIS one year) but I have only ever taken water on at the drinks stations. It is a nice run, think you will enjoy it!!
  • Thanks for the info Richard, will take my own gels then as I don't like Kendal Mint Cake! Will probably stick with the ones I used last year for the Great Langdale marathon (Lucozade), they kept me going a treat.

Chis (not Chris ha). Charles on Sunday's of course, ha!

• Are there any 12 in 12 runners that are doing this marathon?
  • Hello, can I do a bit of cheeky promotion for the race I organise - the South Cheshire 20, a low-key but very well reviewed event. I mention it here because it's on April 29th so potentially (I realise three weeks is a bit close in some people's books) a useful test/last long run before Windermere. (And only a tenner if you're a club runner and enter in advance.)

Good luck everybody with your marathon training and race, and if promoting another race here is poor forum etiquette, will happily remove.
  • http://artsy72.blogspot.com/2012/01/brathay-windermere-marathon-2011.html

My report from the race last year. This is a great race, highly recommended. Yes there are some hills but last six miles or so are pretty level.
  • Hey CharlieR (and everyone else)

I'm back at the South Cheshire 20 again like I was last year; it was a great test ahead of Windermere and I'm doing this ahead of Windermere again this year. Mile 9 is a great test (and VERY tough) which is good training for that tough mile 7 at Windermere.

I can fully recommend SC20, it's a 20 mile "loop", ie the last 5 and the last 5 miles are the same but in opposite directions unlike alot of 20 miles which are 2 rounds of 10 (Oakley, Spitfire etc.), very rural and scenic and very good value for money.

No i wasn't paid for this haha! image Looking forward to both races.

I've got mom and dad coming this yearto Windermere and I've found pubs for them to wait at, at Newby Bridge and Bowness-on-Windermere for them to wave at me from image

How's everyone's training coming on? I've done Ashby 20 and an 18 miler recently though I have done plenty of 13-15 mile runs too.

Ste

• Last Sunday I done a 22 mile training run by myself in 2:52:18, very happy other than picking up a sore ankle so I've had to have the week off to let it rest. Hopefully I can just train as normal now ahead of this marathon.

Doing the extra 2 miles was a big psychologicial boost, looking to push that wall back to miles 23-24. By mile 25 you don't care no more... 1 run around the block to go image

How's everyone's training going?

Ste

• Hi all

I wonder if you could help, I am doing this marathon for the second time, last year I started running in the January and then did the marathon in the May so had a few injury problems for some reason!!!!

This year is going better but I seem to be struggling with the right nutrition, am doing an 18 miler on Sunday and was wondering if you could give me some guidance.  I am upping carbs intake through pasta, rice etc and also eating more meat than usual as seem to be craving protein!  Should I consider a protein shake and such like????  I have been using SiS Go drink and gels during the run.  My main problem is energy levels.

Cheers, Laraine.

• LL2, i'm not any expert in the nutrition but what works for me before a LSR or when i did my marathon was porridge for breakfast and a banana, also fruit smoothies work well I was also told dont have red meat before a LSR or marathon as it takes longer to digest so before all my LSR's and my marathon i ate chicken or fish

as i say i'm not expert but that really helped me and then on the day i found i had good energy levels, the other tip someone told me and have found it to be worth a weight in gold is not to start too fast so u have plenty of fuel in the tank for the latter half of the marathon

good luck for this, i'm going to be cheering on as my bf is doing this so hopefully i'll get to see you nearer the time and give you a big cheer on
  • LL2; I think the usual idea is carbs before, sugar during and protein after.

I most of the time have a form of pasta with a chicken / tuna filling, I have the SIS Go-gels during and a protein shake after. Protein recovery as protein aids the bodies natural repairing mechanisms so you ache less than you would otherwise as the micro-tears (that happen with any muscle fibres when you run) are healed quicker. Protein recovery bars are good too as give a "good" hunger quench until you can get home and have something more substantial. I normally take a protein shake pre-made and leave it in the boot for my return after the finish line.

A piece of advise with gels (if you do, or will take them) is take them at consistent mile points so you're mentally ready and waiting for them. I take my 1st one at 6 miles and every 4 miles thereafter.

I hope this helps.

Ste

• Not long to go now! image

How's the taper coming along? Recovered from any injuries? Feeling ready for the big day everyone?

I did the South Cheshire 20 Apr 29th in VILE conditions; it kinda helped in a way 'cos I feel like I can now face anything. Felt a bit slack this week, taper ironically has made me feel tired but I guess that's your body slowing down ahead of the big day. I did a 6 mile tempo run at 7.6 m/m ave to kick myself back into shape.

I had a leg massage last week and doing the same Saturday morning so I've rewarded my legs for all their hard work for the past few months.

Apart from a couple of minor tweaks I feel ready and can't wait to be back at this beautiful venue image

Ste

• Good luck to the TiTs getting underway today. 262 hilly miles in 10 days is a damn good effort.

Not long to go for the rest of us.

• Steven, I ran the Manchester marathon on the 29th - I too feel like nothing could ever be that bad again! In fact I would not race again in those conditions. Here's hoping for a better day next Sunday! My first time for this one, really looking forward to it. I was in the area on Tuesday, and drove a section of the course - Newby Bridge up to Bowness, and it seemed to be constantly undulating. I guess I will be running on feel rather than pace.

I can't imagine running 10 in 10, I echo Andy's comment.

• I'm looking forward to next weekend - Windermere will be my first marathon.

I planned to do shakespeare marathon 2 weeks ago but it was halved due to the weather. My training up to that went well and I'm aiming for 3:20-3:30 though my longest run in the 6 weeks up to Windermere will have been 15 miles.

Good luck to everyone.