Treadmill speeds?

Hi All

Can anyone help me ? i'm doing some training on the treadmill and am not sure about speeds.

What speed in kph is a 1.25 half marathon.

or a 7 mm

and a 6.30mm

many thanks

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Hi

1m = 1.61k, so

HM in 1h25 = 14.89 kph (wow, that's quick)

7mm = 4'20" per k

6'30mm = 4'02" per k

best of luck, speedyimage

• Hi ashman

To my reckoning - (anyone else...?)

7min/mi = 8.57 miles per hour (so x 1.6 to change to km) = 13.7kph

6.30 min/mi = 9.52 miles per hour (again) = 15.2kph

You'd need to run 6.29 min/mi to get a 1:25 so 6.29 min/mi = 9.54 mph = 15.3 kph

Hope that helps ....

• (worked mine out using the RW pace band generator for the pace to get a 1:25)

• Thanks Teknik and Sleepy bear thats great
  • TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭
    The question is whether it is possible to run that fast on the treadmill without falling off? I have tried running at 13 km/hr speed and I have to say, I was worried about flying off the belt!
  • I know what you mean Timea once you get up to about 14.5 it gets tricky to stay on!!
  • Timea  - trying doing an interval session at 5 min mile (I think it's about 19.2k pace) pace feels unreal compared to roads or track HAHA
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't have the nerve to use TM's for speed work. One lapse of concentration and bam!!!
    I just set mine on the highest gradient it has; 12%' and leave it there.

🙂

• I was having similar issues when I was training sometimes on the road where I work in mins/mile and sometimes on a treadmill which is in kph. I put together a simple web page to calculate all the different values, which you might find useful: http://fereday.me.uk/running/

It's a bit glitchy, and it doesn't do nay error checking, as I've never properly finished it, but it works well enough to be useful I think. All you need to do is fill in one value each in 2 of the three sections, click calculate and it'll fill in the rest.

Let me know if you find it helpful

• In theory, genuine "speed work" should be easier on the treadmill because the faster you go, the higher the relative benefit of having zero wind resistance.  On the other hand, in the real world I suppose you have more than 3 feet of leeway to play with before you have a perilous kerfuffle.
  • It's all about balance, I can run fairly well at 16 kph but it needs concentration and pretty good form. I did a progression run on a treadmaill yesterday 14kph for the first 5k and then cranked it up, 16kph for 1k, 17kph for next 2k, 18kph for 1k and finished last 1k in 19.5kph 

• I've always found this little cheat sheet handy... I keep it on my phone so I can plan treadmill sessions: http://www.bx3.com/phil/tri/treadmill-cheatsheet.pdf

Don't forget 1% incline needs to be added for all these paces to become equivalent to outdoors.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    PhilPub wrote (see)
    In theory, genuine "speed work" should be easier on the treadmill...

In theory....  but not in practice in my experience.  I've no idea why speedwork feels so damn hard on my treadmill compared to outside, though I suspect it's lack of cooling air (there's no air conditioning in my garage).  My heart rate appears about the same both inside and outside on these sessions, so I guess it may be more about perception.

Ross - personally I don't agree with the 1% incline theory.  There are just too many factors involved to be able to reduce it to a simple formula.

This is all off-topic, I know image

• Luckily the treadmills at my gym have a switch on them which enables them to show speeds in British rather than European units. Makes it much easier.
  • Nice cheat sheet Ross - thanks for posting

• Tenjiso, 1% is to a certain extend going to be down to personal physiology etc, but it orignally comes from coach Jack Daniels who measured blood lactate from athletes until it was the same effect as running outdoors. His recommendation is between 1 and 1.5%.

• So DavKel you say you ran 73 second 400m pace the last 1km after you had 9km behind you.
    I had complated between age of 16-23 more than 50 times 400m dash,so I can tell you that is a hard pace for a hobby runner.
    My best was 48,43 sec,so I know what I am talking about.I am little doubt this performance.
    I had seen runners back in the days with sub 14 min/ 5000m.They had been able to run peace like that end of they session.

• It's maybe been mentioned (coming in on this thread a bit late) but the Running for Fitness website has loads of good tables and converters for all this kind of stuff. Mighty handy

Trouble with the dreadmills are they're so unreliably calibrated and you can't 100% trust the little blighters. That said I retreated indoors for my MP run today...

Certainly sounds like an impressive session DavKel
  • I use a garmin footpod that I calibrated on the track and use this for the great indoors. I've run on several treadmills around my town recently - its shown how variable they are for pace info, with Most of them quicker than my garmin.

I set the workout parameters in Garmin, so that tells me to speed up or slow down, rather than the (un)calibrated treadmill. It works for me, and I can work in the units of measure I choose, and also get the cadence data if I was interested. Its an option if treadmills are your thing

Some gyms
  • Hi

I've found that treadmills are good for concentrating on technique, because you are in a neutral environment with few distractions and the speed is constant. You can experiment with longer/shorter strides, strike angle of leading foot etc and see whether it takes more or less perceived effort at the same speed. Also if you speed up the mill you can see/feel how your technique starts to deteriorate.

For me, at around 16kph it takes too much concentration just to avoid falling off  esp. when tired and I tend to reduce the speed to 11-12kph but at max incline-this gives me a tough workout but without being so fast and furious.

Hope this helps

Paul