Does this mara schedule make sense?

Hi everyone

I'm training for my first marathon and training 'properly' for the first time ever. I'm following the Garmin training schedules; doing the fast runs from the 4hr schedule and the easy runs from the 3hr 45 schedule thought they are fairly similar.

However, I'm a bit confused by what they prescribe for the Tuesday sessions which are usually some sort of intervals.

Today was 1.5k warm up, followed by 5x(1k at 10k pace and 200m recovery)then 1.5k cool down.

What's the point in running 1k then doing a recovery when I can run 10k at 10k pace?! Surely for an interval session, I would run the 1k as hard as I could sustain for 5 reps before cooling down? I ended up feeling it was a bit too easy for an interval run.

Plus, the total mileage for this week (week 4) is only 32 miles? Should I add a few k to each of my runs? 32M doesn't seem very much at this stage.

I've done a few HM, and shorter races before but new to marathon training so any useful info gratefully received.

Lorraine.

Comments

• LP84 wrote (see)
    What's the point in running 1k then doing a recovery when I can run 10k at 10k pace?! Surely for an interval session, I would run the 1k as hard as I could sustain for 5 reps before cooling down?.

Interval sessions don't need to be flat out. They can have different purposes depending on what you're training for and that session for a marathon is actually a pretty good one (although 200m recovery is too short IMO, I would look at 400 or even 600). If you feel good you could perhaps do the last 1 or 2 approaching 5k pace.

You say you're running a marathon for the first time after shorter distances? You need to look at longer but slower intervals to really build stamina - remember this race is going to take you almost 4 hours, so being able to maintain a solid pace has to be your primary goal. It's a whole different beast to 5k and 10k running.

LP84 wrote (see)
     What's the point in running 1k then doing a recovery when I can run 10k at 10k pace?!

But you can't - not in training anyway. That is of course assuming that is your 10k pace. Even 5k @ 10kp in training is very very difficult. Remember you get adrenalin rushes, competition etc in a race which makes the pace seem easier and allows you to hang in there in the final few k's in a race. I guarantee trying to run 10k @ 10kp (that is your actual 10kp and not an estimated pace) in training will not end well.

LP84 wrote (see)
     Plus, the total mileage for this week (week 4) is only 32 miles? Should I add a few k to each of my runs? 32M doesn't seem very much at this stage. 
    yes, I'd absolutely add more mileage. 32M for marathon training is not sufficient at all. I'd look at building to 40mpw in the next 4-6 weeks, then in the longer term of 12-16 weeks getting up to 50mpw. If you want to do yourself justice then the base easy mileage is the key - everything else is secondary.
  • If you race a ten k today - youll be knackered tomorrow.
    10 x 1k intervals are much easier to recover from.

And I'd not add extra miles. It may not seem a big milage but the miles add up.
    Fatigue and overtraining will affect your times far worse than under training.
  • 32 miles for week 4 isn't bad either.

Lp84, what are the peak weeks, how many runs near to or 20 miles?
  • Thanks for the replies so far.

@Duckinator, I know 4hrs is a bloody long time! Thanks for helping me to get it right. Think you've revealed a bit of a flaw in my pacing; I've actually got no idea what my 10k pace is. It's been years since I've raced a 10k but I did a HM in 1hr49 last summer with 3 casual 'training' runs per week. I just guessed my 10k pace to be 12.2kph.

@Fit Running Cat, the mileage peaks in weeks 9,10,11 and 13 with roughly 42-45 miles. There are 4 Sundays with 15M, 2 with 18M and 2 with 20M. Does that sound enough?

Not sure if it's significant but I also play squash twice a week (training and competitive matches) on top of the running. I'll probably be able to squeeze in another few k onto each run but may struggle to get up to 50M per week for this round of training.
  • 32 miles for week 4 in my opinion is fine. Four long runs of 15 miles is probably not what I'd do - I'd probably be doing 2 x 15, 2 x 18, 20, 22. The thing is LP84, marathon is probably 80% psychological - you have to trust your schedule. For your first you'll probably follow it slavishly and worry if you miss a session. Then you realise you can tweak it. If you do 80 - 85% of a schedule you'll still achieve your goal on the day. The first marathon is a real learning curve and teaches you just what you can achieve - when you've a couple under your belt you will figure out what works best for you. I guess what I'm trying to say is everyone will give you a different answer based on what works for them! Use your schedule as a guide and you will not go far wrong. But don't over-cook it - running faster (particularly on your LSR) or more reps than is scheduled is not necessary and could lead to problems further into the schedule.
  • LP84, program sounds fine to me. If you can gradually build up to a couple of 20s would help, take them slow.

RW estimates 10k time of about 49-50 minutes for you.

I'm sure the squash will help in terms of cardio. nothing wrong with time on your feet and I'm sure the stop/ start nature of the game will help. I'm similar with football and circuit classes.. help in different ways.