Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Sam - that's brilliant thanks. I can just about cope with that image

How on earth did you know that I'm non-elite?
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi guys.

Hows everyone doing?

Good running mcs. How up enjoyed your curry. It's Tuesday. So homemade chicken kebab with potato wedges and mushrooms for me. I'm starving too after today's run. Know it's not the same as running but now biking to the train station and back only two miles each way, but gets the heart rate up. Had my HRM on yesterday and maxed out at 159 bpm...

Kevster: good pb! Yep, ouch! Still a bit tender where got a beating, but no issues with the tendon and been stretching my lower back and glutes.... Open plan office does get you questionable looks though... image

Sam: thanks for answering Ten's question. Sparked the question for me too, but with HR and the BUPA thing I had an idea based on HR... Should try it with pace... I sense an experinment coming on (post marathon though image) Liking the fartleck session, very different to structured intervals... Did a load of run like hell between dog poo bins, trees and big puddles then bit of a jog...

1 11:29.7 1.00 11:30
    2 7:51.7 1.00 7:52
    3 8:36.2 1.00 8:36
    4 7:54.4 1.00 7:54
    5 11:11.7 1.00 11:12
    6 :02.7 0.00 10:20

Might have been a bit pacey but the graph is very up and down....

Think I'll have a look at trail shoes tomorrow, but might wear my casual (non Asics brand trail shoes...) I'm loving my 610. Easy and natural to use, have to admit to using it as a watch too, better looking than my Timex. image
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Tenjico: lol!

;-)
  • I need a 610 my old 205 takes ages to catch a satellite!! Envy envy. Omelette with mushrooms and spuds with peas,lentils,beans and red onion mixed in. Fruit cake for afters...........glad I run.
    Just read your article Sam, very good.......I write a diary everyday which includes running along with other work n family stuff must be a story in there somewhere! Must be hard work coming up with a new story every month.
  • BoD - sounds like trianing is going well!

I am finding training and motivation difficult at the moment but haven't given up...yet!

• Bo the fartlek thing is harder than it sounds isn't it?
    I did a fartlek session yesterday but it is hard to know how hard to push yourself and for how long.
    I guess the solution is not worry too much and keep varying the pace
  • Hi Kevster, if you scroll back through this thread, you'll find my advice on how to do fartlek if you're new to it - gave a couple of suggested sessions - you might find it helpful.

Craig - sounds like you had fun with your debut fartlek!
    I'll sort out what's happening at the next training day and can then see what to do about that half marathon in week 10. Can you remind if you have another half booked in (is it week13?) How juggle-able are things for you over that period?

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi Sam,

I've got a place in Fleet on 26/03/12, which is week 13.

Really enjoyed the session! Very playful and would be even better with someone else to do it with! Maybe I can find someone to do them with and do an evening run, can't see many takers for 5am....

Thanks for having a look, appriciate it.
  • I'm happy with Fleet's timing - 3 weeks out. Your last very long long run will be 4 weeks out, so 3 weeks out gives a chance to practise mara pace in race conditions (though not necessarily all the way.)

The other one - week 10 would have been OK if it weren't for training day. A bit dubious about us putting you through your paces on the Sat and then you racing on Sunday - bit too much overload!
    Is there any chance of finding something in week 9 - there's Roding Valley in Essex, or you could do Tunbridge Wells with Emma (though appreciate it's a bit of a trek!) If not, don't fret... just let me know. Give me a call if you'd like to discuss. image

• Sorry for not getting on before now. Great day on Saturday and so lovely to meet Craig in person. Oscarr my nuggets included some suggestions to Craig about saving some money as he is buying so much food out over the day and some expensive foods for breakfast.  We discussed mobile breakfast ideas as mornings with an 18 month old are a little rushed hence Craig’s lack of breakfast when at home (Craig will correct me if I am wrong!). I suggested if he does not have time (although I am very image to see he had porridge for breakfast so perhaps things are improving…) then a jam/honey, banana or peanut sandwich with a handful of dried fruit & nuts (leave these in the car and just take a handful when planned not grazing because one can!)  or  to leave cereal & 7 day stay fresh milk and some fruit at work  at the start of each week so breakfast  on work time .

I also suggested  this with snacks so plan his snacks when he goes food shopping and bring them in at start of week or make up night before. We also disused if he was having pasta the night before this could be eaten as a cold pasta salad at lunch and if needed he could some tuna (vacuum packed tuna can be open and added easily to pasta in a tomato based sauce without need for tin opener or if you can find ones with ring pull cans) or other protein such as lean chicken  or ham etc. I really think a little more organization would save Craig a lot of money and not having to rely on whatever might be available and may improve fruit & veg in his diet as well.

Craig - keep up the great work and as I said to you on Saturday you have already done the hardest part; stopping smoking and reducing so much body weight and I think this has already been  such a huge achievement  and not to be forgotten along this current 26.2 challenge.

• Ruth - thanks - Craig has done really well so far hasn't he and your tips will certainly save him money as well improve health etc. 

Just got back from Tesco and have bought some avacados (good fats in smoothies - thanks Ruth and SleepyB), nesquik milk shake powder (carb loading - thanks Ruth and Sam) and Hi juice (Ruth - carb loading).  The Hi juice was interesting in that the blackcurrent flavour has 52.2g carbs per 100ml undiluted whereas the pineapple and orange ones had a lot less at about 36-42g so got the blackcurrent one.  I have a half mar race on Sunday and for 2 days prior I plan to try the carb loading diet you posted on Rosie's thread which i think was an answer to a query from mcs - will substitute more museli in place of porridge and eat more jaffas (like them !!!).  I already eat everything else on your plan so it will just be the volume that will be under test.  Never thought shopping could be so interesting but don't tell the OH please !!

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Not been in long. Sam can I give you a bell tomorrow?

Guys, talk to you all tomorrow. Have a good one...
  • Craig - on a non-running related topic we talked about briefly, I managed my first unassisted chin-up last night, from a full hanging position with no weird body contortions image I couldn't do a second one with a gun to my head, but it's progress. Even doing sets of eight with assistance from "woody" bands is harder than it looks. Great exercise though.
  • Hi Craig - I'm too poorly to do the Watford half this weekend so resting (very fed up about this) and doing the Fleet in March instead... hope Sam lets me race it as its flat and could be great for a pb!

Very snotty and grotty at the moment!image

• Good fartlek session Craig, like the mental image of you running fast between dog poo bins - the smell can be overwhelming!

Get well soon Emma.

• Good session Craig all the best for the weekends running.

Just having humous on toast on offer at supermarket yummy and an orange though I did stuff a few Haribos down earlier as on offer too and I cant resist them but I am doing a longish run with a mate this evening.  image

There is always a way to go if you look for it!!

• mcs - hee hee hee naughty naughty!

Toasted cinnamon and raisin bagel (with a slither of butter) and a banana/yogurt and OJ smoothie for me.  

What you having Craig?  Hope you are ok - you've gone quiet... 

• Hi guys and gals - am in day 1 of a 2 day trial of Ruth's carb loading diet ahead of the Watford half - i've got the mid-afternoon and evening meals still to go and i feel full to the brim already and i did a 4 mile slow run this morning as well.  I'll let you know how the rest of it goes but i may need someone to roll me to the start on Sunday !!!!
  • Oscarr: ha ha! Yes, carbo loading does make you 'hold on' to a lot of water and you can feel pretty bloated. But once you start running the water will be used upimage

Craig: Hope last couple of runs have gone OK? Good to chat about Sunday's race and that you're looking forward to it. The plan is to start out slightly restrained and aim to speed up throughout. (This is to avoid the temptation to go off all guns blazing after Craig's blistering performance in the last race!) But the other aim is to not reach the finish line feeling like you had loads more to give and disappointed it's ended so soon image

So looking ahead to week 7. After an easier-mileage week in week 6, with no long run, this represents a step-up - so that means increased focus on all your good practices, like stretching, pre and post run nutrition, rest etc. I've swapped the 200m reps for 2 minute reps as Craig doesn't use a track but otherwise, the schedule is the same as the RW Ultimate sub 4.30 programme, with a grand total of 32 miles. I'm off to London for the VLM Meet the Experts weekend, but will hopefully check in over the weekend to see how everyone is doing! I'm thinking of whizzing over to camber sands before it's dark as it's such a lovely afternoon and can see the sea from my window!image The Sidster is well up for it...

Week Seven w/c 6/2/12 (32M)
    Mon Rest
    Tue 6M of 1M jog plus 4 x acceleration strides, then 8 x 2 mins fast (7.20ish pace), with 2 min jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed Rest
    Thu 6M steady
    Fri 6M slow plus strength training (Craig now has the same 4 exercises that Emma and Rosie were prescribed from the outset)
    Sat Rest
    Sun 14M easy off-road
  • Thanks Sam - really, really bloated now and i've still got rice pudding and tinned fruit to go !!  Which 4 exercises are the gang doing please?

Craig - which race are you doing on Sunday?

• Oscarr looking forward to hearing how it goes
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys. Sorry not been about for a while, work has been manic... Seriously, if anyone saw that Protecting our children programme on BBC the other day, that be my day... Lovely. Wouldn't have it any other way. Will post a link shortly about my working day, was in the Guardian a few months ago...

Back to running: Saturday was brilliant, video though makes my look like an proper inarticulate fool...

Brisk 3 plus 1 mile warm up and cool down on Thursday. Got the stats wrong and only went at 9m/m when intended 8:30... Bum.

But: 6 miles today at 'steady' pace and averaged 8:50ish over the whole run. Quite even overall and felt 'comfortably hard'. HR was around 155, which is 80% of max. Nice run, visualising Sunday...

Ruth: been good and taken mobile breakfasts to work... Mostly be porridge and shreded wheat. Lots of baked potatos at lunch and quite a varied dinner. But have been craving chocolate, which is strange for me... Gonna get some milkshake for post run drinks... Thanks for last week by the way.

Tensico: nice one. I really rate pull ups as a strength exercise, eye wateringly hard to do. Well done fella. Great for the back. This is how hard they are: 20 complete reps are considered the 100% benchmark for the US Marine Corps. 90% of entrants can't do that.

Emma: I've been following your illness. Mate please get well soon... Fleet could be brilliant, going to practice marathon pacing, be great to meet up with you, SB and her mate (hello SB's mate). Grab a cuppa afterwards. BTW have you got yourself signed into Paris yet?

KR/mcs: thanks very much! Yummy sugar... Sweet , sweet sugar.... I've had a cider and clam chowder with bread to seem further be jnksem

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Oh, sorry Oscarr: its this one: http://www.frostbiteleague.org.uk/

Just seen the big red warning... Oh lord...
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Also: good luck with races and running over the weekend etc peps!
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Got a post Paris race arranged. 16 of us from the club, two teams of eight. Looks like a right crac:

http://www.endure24.co.uk/
  • Update on the carb loading experiment - yesterday's (day 1) total carbs consumed was 673g vs Ruth's menu of 705g so not bad - I could not have rammed any more in me - could not eat anything midafternoon and replaced the morning's banana sarny with 4 jaffas.  Felt OK this morning and will do a few tweeks today but basically try and stay with it again.  All this and the race may be cancelled tomorrow !!!  If it is I will still do a 14 mile run so the loading will not be wasted.
  • Snowing here in Edale waiting for daughters horse riding to finish and up to minus two now!
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    To the Watford guys: you heard anything yet? I'm having to wait till 7 tomorrow morning to find out about the race. Have to just do a seven mile run if so.

Good work on the carb loading oscarr! You all pasta'ed out yet?

mcs: how cold????

I want to eat everything in the world just to keep warm...
  • Watford inspection at 8am - it's looking grim because it is forecast to snow all night tonight until about 7am image

I've gone through the motions of getting my kit ready, number fixed, etc. Looks like I'll also have to dig the car out tomorrow in readiness, just in case it goes ahead. If it is cancelled, then I'll hop on the treadmill for 13 miles, though I'm not sure whether I'll "race" it or practice marathon pace if I do that.
  • Holy moley bat-folks - it's chilly. On the plus side - I took 42 seconds off my 5k PB this morning in an attempt to keep warm despite wearing tights, thermal and gloves.

I'm right there with you Craig on the eating front - haven't stopped since we got home.  Logs are now roaring nicely and there's a chocolate cake in the oven.  Oscarr probably can't move by now - and mcs has probably turned into an icicle. I've got my old lady blanket over my knees on the sofa and not leaving this room unless I really, really have to!

Only tiny tiny mist snow here so far - really hope your races don't get cancelled - what a nightmare for all involved.  Still better safe than sorry - can't run if you're in a car crash and get hurt! And if you do get to run - for goodness sakes wrap up warm!