5K compete - what now?

Hi All

A beginner who needs some advise. Just finished an 8 week plan to run 5K. I completed my first full non stop 5k yesterday but am unsure what I should do now.

Should I continue to run more 5k's non stop and reduce my time or look to increase the distance to say an 8K plan. I guess I am looking to achieve a comfortable 10K in the near future.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• That depends on what you want to achieve... If you want to be a fast short distance runner then stick with the 5k and up the speed but if you want to look at taking part in a 10k (which is the next logical step) then slowly increase the length of one of your runs.

Well done on getting this far btw.

• Cheers Caz

I am looking to increase the distance - perhaps I should continue running a few more 5k's and then work an 8k plan into that - I guess - it's all new to me.

I was unsure if I could run the 5K non stop - so 8k is possible with the right plan

• Anything is possible Heritage.  Run the 5k for another couple of weeks and then increase your longest run of the week by 0.5 or 1km, run that for a couple of weeks and then repeat until you are up to 8k or whatever distance you want to get up to.  You will find though that now that you can run 5k non stop the rest will be easy. image
  • thats sounds like a great plan

Not sure on it being Easy  image

• Training for a 10k will reduce your 5k time anyway, my suggestion would be to pick out a decent beginners 10k schedule and have a go at that.
  • Cheers Danowat

That's my goal so I'll have a look - ther have a good 10k schedule on here

Appreciate it

• I'd agree with the others, find a 10k plan and see how you get on with it and if you're impatient to do another race soon, maybe do another 5k while you're building up the distance?

well done on the 5k btw.

mrs w

• Yep - well done, just build up slowly..

oh - and don't get caught up in the marathon bug. I'd stay with the shorter distances like 5 and 10k's and try and do them quicker...like any sensible person would image

Good luck!!

• I think I'll agree with you there image
  • Hi Guys Just thought I'd let you know how it is going - have run 3 non stop 5ks on my own - not a race in

33 mins, 32 mins and 31 mins ( rounded off ) Pleased with that  - kept it nice a staedy with as much as a sprint as I could manage at the end.

To be honest I did think each time that I was not going to be quicker but I just wanted to be near the first time.

I am going to start a 10 plan now and will see how that goes

Cheers

• Hi all,

Have been training with a 5k running program for 5 weeks and am now running 14min, 1 min walk then another 14 min walk. I have never ran before in my life i an 34 father of 3, and looking to hear from others in my position who just need that inspiration to achieve. I aam looking forward to my first 5k race in Oxford in Oct.

Cheers Jam123  

• I ran my first "Official" 5k in 37:36 recently after only 6 weeks of running.

I am aiming to get sub-30mins and am training by simply running 5k 3 times a week.

I will run another "Official" 5k at the start of November to see improvement. If I have made a good improvement I will start adding 1k per 2 weeks to build up to 10k - my next goal.

I'm also trying to shift the bulk of the remaining 4st excess weight I'm lugging around with me!

• Hi All

I have used the 5k plan and have just moved up to a 10K. Like you had done many different sports but never running. Using a plan is perfect for me as it gives me the incentive to reach each one and then once achieved it feel great.

Some days are harder than others - I have progressed to doing 7k runs not fast but comfortable and sometimes when I drop to a 5k or even a 3k it can feel really hard.

I try not to get to down beat - I'll have a rest - relax and think about my next run.

What does really work for me is changing my route - I use various websites to find new routes and it makes the next run more exciting and chalenging.

• Hi all,

I have just finished this six week beginner 5K schedule. It was great.  I loved the way it was based on times not distance and combined walk and runs times.  I also liked the rest days in-between the run days.  I now want to move onto an 8K or 10K training schedule.  Unfortunately I cannot find one that doesn't include distance.  I trail run so I find accurately estimating distance a bit difficult.  Does anyone know of a 8K or 10K training schedule that is similar to the six-week beginner 5K Schedule?   Cheers - LizzieB. 

• @LizzieB - you could try the One Hour Runner which I did -  http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html - which puts you around the 10k mark

• Hi,

I decided to try and go for a run but was worried becuase in the past I have found that my calf muscles can tighten up. Luckily, I managed to run about 2.5 miles in 30 mins once a week over 3 weeks. I've just read this 5K plan and wanted to know how best I should adapt my running now to achieve 5miles? Any help out there?

• made my own plan up

40 mins cardio 3x per week

Early sessions run 1km walk a little then run 1km for 20 mins then onto a step machine for 10 mins to build  leg muscles followed by 10 mins slow jog

after 2-3 weeks running 3km's then walk until Heart rate below 130 then jog again to 5km with a couple of walking for 20-30 secs

After 5 weeks able to run 5km non-stop.

Early muscle building on step machine helps muscle strengthening shortening time to get to 5k 

• I have never run at all. Ever.

I start this plan tomorrow. Hopefully will be able to run by the time the semester has ended. Shall just do stretches on the days of rest

Wish me luck in persisting to become an un-lazy bum!

<3 

• hello,

what would be a good running and walking speeds to follow this plan ? 12km/hr and 6km/hour respectively ? 

• I followed this training and completed my first 5k in 26 minutes and 47 seconds! I'm now training for a 10K. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

Jess 

• Hi all

i have  never run at all in my life and i am starting the plan tomorrow, i've read all the above comments and i hope i achieve what you guys have all achieved 

any advice on breathing would be good

Claire x 

• Hi everyone,

This looks great, feeling V. inspired! Just a question; how do you time yourself? I can't imagine holding my phone, it would slip out of my sweaty palm! Nice.

Is that what you guys do/did? Thanks image

• Claire Langworthy wrote (see)

Hi everyone,

This looks great, feeling V. inspired! Just a question; how do you time yourself? I can't imagine holding my phone, it would slip out of my sweaty palm! Nice.

Is that what you guys do/did? Thanks

smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Erm, try a watch...
  • I downloaded RunKeeper onto my iphone and set up the sessions as workouts in Coaching.  It gives you audio cues and as long as you turn off the auto pause it works well - I have it in my pocket and can hear it well, you could get an armband?
  • I am starting the 5km running plan today. It's a beautiful sunny day in London, so I have a great reason to get started, get fit & load up on some vitamin D!

Wish me luck.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Claire: if youve got a smart phone with GPS, download an app. I've used Nike+, jog log, garmin and Asics apps. If you hope to stick longer term Garmin might make sense because you could get a flashy GPS watch and not lose any data. I havent got my first runs saved and gutted about that.

Check this site out: www.garminconnect.com (not hyperlinked).

As crazy kitten says, armband all the way. Loads of cheapies on e-bay/amazon

Good luck, excited for you!
  • Is there a free app I can download to record my runs and also beep at one minute intervals?