backpacks

I've taken the plunge and I'm selling my car (financial reasons) and have given myself the challenge of running to work and back (only 1.2 miles each way) but I'm looking for a good backpack that won't a) break the bank, b) holds my work clothes/shoes and c) is fairly compact.

Any recommendations/reviews would be greatly appreciated. I've been on wiggle.com and seen a few but would really like personal recommendations.

Mima

Comments

• TBH with you - for 1.2 miles you may as well walk in and then run back. I walk a mile to work - I did have a nice 3 mile offroad mainly route into work that I'd do every day, but I did find it got in the way of longer runs at night.

try the OMM Classic 25L - and its better if you can leave heavy stuff like shoes in work.
  • I got the Nike Cheyenne Vapor running ruck ack in TK Maxx for £30 and it's excellent. Very comfortable, minimal movement and enough room for my work clothes/lunch and a jacket.

Shop around as it can be £50 in some shops but no doubt there will be a bargain out there somewhere. To be honest though, for 1.2 miles, you could get away with a budget rucksack no bother.

I've got a Quechua ruck sack for trail running that'sa little smaller than the Nike and it was under £20 and is very good. Worth a look going to Decathlon and seeing their Quechua range.

• Brilliant...thanks. I'll have a looksee this weekend in York after the car selling trauma is out of the way. Every cloud and all that jazz.
  • Can you leave any clothes at work?

The year I didn't have a car (financial reasons too - I feel for you!) and I ran or cycled to work, I just kept a weeks worth of work clothes under my desk and get changed at work.  I would just have a small running bum bag for mobile, keys, money, work badge.  A lot easier than dragging everything with you every day.

• Walking 1.2 miles should only take 25 mins or so ?

I find it always takes me a few miles to warm up when I'm running the first 15 to 20 mins are always the roughest - so I'd be in work before my warm up is complete - so all of my runs would end up being crap.
  • Nam wrote (see)

Can you leave any clothes at work?

The year I didn't have a car (financial reasons too - I feel for you!)

Thank you Nam...had my meeting with the bank this morning, spent the majority of it apologising, in tears and feeling sick with terror at what I'd discover. Thankfully I've had a good meeting with them, I'm not defaulting on rent, c/t or major bills and I've handed my credit card in for destruction. Feeling much better about it now, my gf has been a rock. I like the idea of the work stash!

@cougie...think you might be right...still in the C25K bit so I'm trying to build up as many runs as possible. I'll give the running to work a go and also try it walking, see which one works for me...as yet I'm still not much of a morning runner...something might have to give on that!

• + 1 on the OMM classic 25. £40 - £50 ish. I use It for running ultras, but it'd be perfect for what you're after. The guys are right about the shoes at work thing!!
  • I went to sleep last night thinking about this image and mentally planning the clothing situations...I need to get a life!

Definitely going to be leaving my shoes at work - towels are at work in the week, I'll just take them home at the end of the week for a wash...will have to invest in leak proof containers for lunches, last thing I need is a bag full of soup and nothing to wear!

• I run to work 4 days out of 5, 2.5 miles is the most direct route and I use it to walk my eldest to school, drop her off and then run in.
    I'm lucky that we have showers and a changing room at work and i can leave suit, shirts hanging up and I have a locker to store shoes, pants, socks, ties in. Previously I've left shoes under my desk and pants,socks,etc in one of my desk drawers.

I take in shirts en masse one day and then bring home the day's shirt, socks, pants every day to be washed.

I use a Salomon rucksack and take my sarnies in wrapped up in tin foil so they don't crumble on the run in. Fruit,etc I'll buy during a lunch hour

• If you are thinking of buying the OMM classic 25 it's £35 at Cotswold outdoor at the moment (and free delivery online) Cotswold linky
  • I have an osprey talon 22 which is nice...
  • Nice spot on the OMM Chimpster - just e-mailed them to see if the offer stands in stores as well, as I'm near Newcastle and might go get one tomorrow - save the postage...
  • Just got the last OMM Classic 25 in the Newcastle store - looks tasty, may even fit my wee Mountain Hardware Solitude tent in there. image
  • PeersPeers ✭✭✭

I was looking for a thread like this.  Ordered the OMM Classic 25.  Thanks Chimpster.  You will need to be on commission soon image

• Mima - for what it's worth, and not having run with it, the OMM Classic 25 is plenty capacious. If you go with Chimpster's recommendation you can get it cheap too - it looks well made and about the size of an average daypack for walking, so I reckon you could get a full work outfit, sandwiches, shoes and any other bits and bobs in you need. I'm well happy with it (I can fit a solo tent and micro-sleeping bag in it with a little room to spare to maybe get some food in too, and that's without using any pockets) and would happily recommend it. The waist pockets are proper cute and undoubtedly useful.

It also has a built in whistle - what more could you want on the run to work, in case you come across an early morning rave?

Hope you get sorted - I'm thinking about selling the car too, so I can get the more problematic leaks in my roof fixed, so I figure running to work will take place soon - just hoping I can avoid it until the weather gets a little better and I can divine the arcane mysteries of the shower and lockers at work... image

Anyone want a Honda CR-V?

• PeersPeers ✭✭✭

It includes a whistle? Awesome. I needed one of those as its a required bit of kit for my next event so thats an added bonus.
  • HI Guys

this is not about a bag I hav just purchased a rather nice caribee,not to big ,the one thing I would like to ask is about outerwear ,I am training for the Brighton Marathon and live 5 miles from work so running to work would be great , my question is if you don't run home how do you deal with a coat jacket for going home at the moment it is to cold  and as I would be in office clothes I'm wondering how I would deal with this.

I don have a rather nice padded jacket but dont think it would fold up into the backpack

any idea's or thoughts would be apreciated.

I have considered running home as well but not sure it is a good idea after 9 hours in the office

Regards

Razkatz

• I do end up with a lot of coats in work....

Typically I'll walk into work and run at night - so often my coats get left in there. And after a few days I've a couple of coats there.

When its milder I have a Montane jacket that fold up neatly and will go in my pack - but thats not an option for winter really ?
  • I have two coats, and try and alternate running either to or from work on different days so that I've always got one coat in the office, and one at home....

Occasionally I get it wrong, and end up at home with both coats in the office, or run into the office and realise both my coats are at home...
  • PeersPeers ✭✭✭
    Without being able to carry the coat to work it would be difficult. I think the alternating between running to and from work is the best idea. Running home might be just the thing you need after a day in the office. I usually run after work and find its just what I needed after a day sitting at a desk.

On another note I got my OMM Classic 25 through the post today and am very pleased with it. Can't wait to try it out at the weekend.
  • Yikes - I hadn't thought about the coat issue - the answer would seem to be to run both ways?

My current plan (yet to be put into practise) is to get a lift in on Monday with four shirts and my running gear, then run home Monday, in and out for the rest of the week, then a lift home of Friday with my gear. 

Might have to up my game a bit first, I currently run three times a week and need a day to get back on the horse. Still, now I've got a foam roller to deal with my ITB problems (it was quite painful, but my leg feels a lot better), maybe I can work on it.

pursuedbyangrybees.wordpress.com

• HI

Thanks for all the ideas ,2 coat system is a good idea ,and I quite like the alternating bit,I have also been given another idea about cycling to work one day then running home ,(leaving the bike at work) then run to work and cycle home all very good ideas but think it might have to wait as snow predicted and I don't fancy breaking my legs

cheers for the idea

Razkatz