moral dilemma

would you take the points for speeding to prevent your OH getting a driving ban?

Comments

• Yup. Just in case we got divorced ten years down the line and I wanted to shaft her and wreck her career.
  • Not really, of course. Whole thing's rather tawdry imho.
  • Muttley wrote (see)
    Yup. Just in case we got divorced ten years down the line and I wanted to shaft her and wreck her career.
    And your own career as well when you get prosecuted at the same time?
  • How on earth did this story get out..?    If it happened, and we can only assume that it did if the CPS are going to proscute, then why now, after so many years and how did anyone find out..?

I bet other people have done it...

• No it’s perverting the course of justice and can lend to a prison sentence. You would have to be very stupid to do it. image
  • Seems daft for two people to risk going to jail so that one person can avoid the inconvenience of a short driving ban.

Mind you getting 12 points on your license seems pretty daft too, you'd think once you got to 6 or 9 you might have a bit of a think about how you drive.

And I love the front cover of Private Eye.

• Story got out 'cos Chris Huhne cheated on his wife (now ex-wife). She told The Times that "someone" had taken the points for him. A concerned citizen (Labour MP) contacted the police. The police obtained emails between his ex-wife and The Times and the CPS feel they have enough evidence to bring a case to trial.
  • Hmm... dunno - depends what was at stake. If I was unemployed and she needed the car for her job - i might.

I know, I'm a bad person.

• Tom77 wrote (see)
    Story got out 'cos Chris Huhne cheated on his wife (now ex-wife). She told The Times that "someone" had taken the points for him. A concerned citizen (Labour MP) contacted the police. The police obtained emails between his ex-wife and The Times and the CPS feel they have enough evidence to bring a case to trial.
    ahh... 
  • Doesn't make you bad JB.  I know people who have done it.

Don't think I would personally.  It does highlight the risks of what policing by camera can do though.

• no because if it is to save their licence... they must have already had lots of points on their licence.....

and still risked others lives by driving too fast.....so that means they have not learnt from being caught earlier and still think that their right to drive fast is more important that other peoples lives..

or they are in the spot light and not prepared to face the music.......if its a one off who cares

so no
  • It does happpen.Probably more than we think. A friend's  boyfriend payed an employee to take points!a nd haven't there been cases where people have tried to claim theydon't know who was driving at the time (falsely?!) to try get out of points.

Personally I wouldn't do it.

• Nope. And I've no sympathy for anyone who does and gets caught out.
  • so...  I wonder what will happen..?   will the courts be lenient because of who he or make an example out of him..?   I wonder if he will get a driving ban and they both get a fine...?

• You're assuming he's guilty already DV?  Innocent until proven and all that.
  • I do know someone who has done it as the person who would have lost their licence would also have lost their job and income if they were unable to drive.

Having said that I wouldn't do it intentionally because of the potential recurcussions on me.  I say intentionally, as I also know a couple who got caught but genuinely couldn't remember who was driving at the time.  They asked for the photo and it was poor quality so they were still unable to determine who was driving.  So in the end the one with the least points on their licence took the blame. I could see myself doing the same in their situation.

• Dark Vader wrote (see)

so...  I wonder what will happen..?   will the courts be lenient because of who he or make an example out of him..?   I wonder if he will get a driving ban and they both get a fine...?

There is a series on BBC 3 about stupid crimes and trying to get out off speeding fines by claiming someone else is driving is a recurring theme on it. My favourite one that’s been on is someone from Manchester claiming someone from eastern Europe was driving, travelling to somewhere like Romania I think and posting a post card from there to prove the person existed and wasn't until it went to court and the police said that Interpol had no record of the driver ever being born before the muppet admitted they where fibbing. Ended up with the court costs of several thousand pounds a suspended sentence for 2 years the cost of the travel and also the original fine of £60 and point on there licence. From all the talk on the show it’s the sort of thing the police get annoyed at and they will do you for fun and make an example off you for.
  • Nope....    Don;t get points and you have no problem
  • I bet the ex-wife is kicking herself now for not keeping quiet about it......

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)
    You're assuming he's guilty already DV?  Innocent until proven and all that.
    yes, but in this high profile case I presume that the prosecution wouldn't go ahead with it unless they were fairly certain of the evidence they have.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Catalin Bond wrote (see)

It does happpen.Probably more than we think. A friend's  boyfriend payed an employee to take points!

i know someone who was jailed for that. 6 months i think.

i wouldn't do it.

it seems that people regard this as a trivial matter though and then go on about the stupidity of jailing someone for speeding. but that isn't what it is about at all.

• That argument is often used.  So the CPS determine guilt rather than a court and jury?
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)
    That argument is often used.  So the CPS determine guilt rather than a court and jury?
    no, but i think in this case they'd prefer to drop the case due to lack of evidence if they weren't fairly certain of guilt. but i agree with what you are saying and he should get a fair trial. the jury will decide.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

i'm not usually a daily mail reader but this story might make people think about the consequences:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1390586/Would-ask-loved-speeding-points-I-did-I-live-consequences.html

• SuperCaz wrote (see)

I do know someone who has done it as the person who would have lost their licence would also have lost their job and income if they were unable to drive.

Surely that's all the more reason follow the law, like the rest of us do, rather than try and illegally get oput of a punishment.

For the record, I wouldn't take the points for someone else, if I did have a driving licence

• So the police have spent 8 months investigating, the CPS have spent time putting a case together and now the courts are going to prosecute. Where's the public interest in spending that much tax payers money on this?
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭

so the law of the land can be upheld?

or shall we only prosecute financially viable cases?

that wouldn't leave too many.

• It's a deterent to others Mr. W.  People do think of speeding in the same sort of category of seriousness as illegal music sharing - we all know that we shouldn't but who's going to know or care?  Hopefully by making this case so public it will deter others from transfering points, or even from speeding in the first place, which in the long term will reduce the number of cases needing to come to court, and hence money, and also the number of accidents caused by speeding, which could save lives.
  • I'd have thought this is a very serious crime. The guy seems to have been flouting the law repeatedly with little or no consideration for other road users ? And then lying about it to save his own skin. A driving licence is a privilege - not an automatic right.