Odd ankle pain!

I don't know how I managed to do this but I have ankle pain which also seems to relfect to my mid shins and I also have shin pain.

It hurts to walk but more then any impact pain is the pain I get from lifting up each foot (called 'dorsiflexing') and then lowering my foot back down again. The areas that hurt are the front of my ankle when my foot is pointed or moving downwards and the middle of my shin, dead on straight in the middle (not to one side) when I lift or raise my foot. It does wear off a bit when I run but its straight back again when I stop and doesn't ease off after sleeping well or walking around, only running or cycling.

I have no idea why! I am assuming its to do with the weather, that I am colder then normal and so starting out I maybe should have spent longer warming up- I notice that (I run a lot on a treadmill) where I used to just hit the treadmill running from the word 'go' and build up speed, after about 3-4 mins I am warm enough to begin sweating, this evening it took 20 mins just to feel warm enough to take off my jumper- in a gym!! And then a further 10 more mins (30 in total) to just begin sweating so its obvious my body requires more time to get the circulation going but can't help thinking that as much as I am wondering about this, its maybe not the problem: I get no other pains in my body, say quads, upper body or even back, last year I was given a diagnosis of cartilidge damage in my knees which apparently is osteoarthritis yet even my knees feel better them my ankles!

Comments

• Rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE) are keys elements in the treatment of both sprains and strains.

Depending upon the extent and location of the injury, it may take many weeks to return to normal function. That does not mean that all activity must stop; instead, there needs to be a gradual return to function that is guided by the body's response to activity. Most often, the patient can "listen" to their body's response to activity and increase or decrease the amount and intensity depending upon whether there is pain with the activity or whether there is subsequent pain.

It can be a difficult balance between resting a part of the body enough and resting too much and losing strength and range of motion. For example, when the rotator cuff is strained, it may take a significant amount of time for the shoulder to return to full function. Resting the arm for a prolonged period of time in a sling to rest the muscle group may lead to stiffness in the shoulder joint and loss of range of motion. The health-care professional and patient must appreciate that balance and minimize the loss of function while maximizing the rate of healing.

Muscle, tendon, and ligament heal themselves naturally by repairing the fibers or filling in the damaged area with scar tissue. Full muscle and joint mobility may take time to return and gradual stretching may be required to return the injured area to normal. Additionally, depending upon the area of the body that is injured, the damage sustained, and the amount of loss of function, physical therapy may be suggested. A variety of treatment modalities may be considered, including ultrasound and massage, to encourage healing and preserve range of motion and function.

Buy Kamagra

• Jenn, don't think it's to do with the current low temperature or warming up. The pain you describe seems to be the at the "true ankle joint" between the talus bone and tibia. As you have a bit of osteoathritis at the knee is it possible you also have a bit of degeneration at the ankle as well? I'd see a professional if you think it's bad enough and you get no improvement over the next couple of weeks if you rest.
  • Thanks for the relies.

I didn't think it was serious and so didn't want to bother the GP with it and as far as my GP goes, anything sports related brings on a shrugging of shoulers and a referral which itself takes the best part of 2-4 months depending on issue. Instead I took some ibuprofen and kept it mobile (which is not hard when public transport is your only method of distance travel). I had done RC but not the Ice or Elevation, having said that my feet and lower legs have been so cold they have felt numb many times this week in the cold weather and snow and I'm wondering if that counts as 'ice'!

Incase it helps anyone in this positin: I layed off as much as I could by keeping down the speed and time I ran- thing is exercise makes it ease off so I was reluctant to do this, but I do think it made a difference that I did. I kept both ankles compressed with ankle strapping/support wraps and this seems to have made a difference too and in terms of the pain for the first 15/20 mins of movement, it was much easier to get past this and feel 'warmed up' with reduced pain. It still feels sore after almost a week but doesn't feel as bad as it was last week at all. I'm hoping whatever it was (a strain?) its going away. Last week I couldn't walk without limping and now I don't think twice, its still there but nothing like before.

• Pain could be from tibialis anterior. This is responsible for dorsiflexion..... and could well be having a hard time of it due to overly tight calfs perhaps. Tbh dorsiflexion doesnt really/ideally come into play when running but is used alot when walking so thats probably why you feel it post run more and at this time your calf is probably tighter.....than a tight thing.

Seeking pro advice is the way forward but i would consider wrapping/compression socks to try and get some/keep some heat into that offending area.

• Thanks- I don't get the ankle part of the pain so much when running but its like any movement at all sets off the pain- well its there but its not as bad as when walking, its the landing on the ground with each step that seems to reverberate into my shins and that I feel, does feel much worse when walking then when running.

It does seem to have gotten a lot better now. I can manage to sit on my feet like I used to (tops of feet on the ground, soles facing my thighs, its a yoga pose and is normally very comfortable for me).

Compression does seem to help- I wear it on my ankles as this is where it seems to help most.

I hadn't considered tight calves- guess its my old 'friend' The Foam Roller again...

• ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you so much for providing such a information.

Buy Kamagra