Preston Guild Marathon

Comments

• Hi Whortleberrybearer,

Thanks for chipping in, but I'm seriously getting the impression that nobody gives a monkeys about the community guild spirit of Preston and making our route navigate both north and south of Preston to fit in as many communities as we possibly can.  It's looking like this marathon thing is just a PR stunt.

Surely the whole of Preston can be shut down for a measly half day once in 20 years?! ...Hell, London do it every single year for goodness sakes.

Yes you're right, the first 9 miles are dual carriageway and main roads, but that is deliberate to allow the main volume of runners to settle down and spread out a lot, but more importantly, it navigates around and through the communities south of Preston (namely Penwortham, Leyland and Bamber Bridge) allowing them to come out and enjoy the spirit should they so wish.

Once everyone is more spread out we can the run around the northern part of Preston on well known roads allowing communities on London Road, New Hall Lane, Blackpool Road, etc to do the same thing. What an atmosphere that would be!  Eastway, Tom Benson Way, more Blackpool Rd and Riversway all have communities, although smaller, with the final mile and a half or so in the centre itself.

There should be no traffic whatsoever. If we can't organise that for half a day in 20 years then we simply are working together properly. Many other marathon organisers can. Why can't we?

By the way, if you've ever been out into the Wharles/Inskip countryside areas you'll notice there's only fields.  Why have 'a bit of encouragement on the way through tiny villages' when the we should be exactly where the communities are?. 10-13 miles of quiet emptiness is definitely nooo joke.

It's now February and I'm beginning to sense a major opportunity is being missed here.  ...And to be honest, Brian's lack of input on this forum is very disheartening, but then he isn't a born and bred Prestonian so probably doesn't really care that much about Guilds anyway. It's just another marathon to measure. Why should he care where it goes?

Before long they'll be telling us at Easter that it's all too late and we're sorry for giving you a disappointing course. We'll maybe do it properly for you in 20 years.  ...Ho hum. C'est la vie.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's easy. But I just sense that we aren't working together properly on this. ...Like I said, it's just a PR stunt. Who cares if we talk to empty fields for half of it?

• How many people do you think will get out of bed on the 24th of october to line the streets of these said communities. Can I ask pete if you are a prestonian runner I dont think I saw you at the volenteers meeting last month  that is your chance to put your veiws accross not on a public forum. The main Guild Party is in the middle of the year where all communities have the chance to celebrate the guild so everyone get a chance to be part of the guild if they wish. We have a meeting on the 9th of this month and would love your input as we need people to go round these little villages to get them involved so that we do get people cheering us on.  
  • Hiya Alan,

Yes, I was born in Preston and am currently living in the Riverside area just before you go into Miller Park.

I haven't a clue what a volunteers meeting is I'm afraid, nor have I a clue how many will come out to watch and support or run the marathon. The point is, I've asked Brian for the course a month ago and to date he's just not commenting.

Brian is the course measurer who is working with the organisers so why not put my views direct across to him from here? It's obviously simpler and easier to do, to the point, written down, and faster. ...or would be if he answered. ...Do any organisers go to your 'volunteer meeting'? Maybe you can speak to him or the other organisers there?

The bottom line is, if we're planning a disappointing marathon course, that disappears away from communties and off out of Preston for a good half of it, then we're basically just planning for a disappointing day. ... so there's no need to 'go round these little villages to get them involved so that we do get people cheering us on' is there?

The route comes first, and until we know it, we can't do any planning.  They'll probably tell us what it is in March or April, and then say it's too late to do anything about it.

If Brian was the slightest bit interested, he would be chatting to us via here wouldn't you think?  Anything else just looks like you're hassling him/them.

• I was told about this race this morning and I'm going to enter asap.

It would be good if Brian was to commentate as I seem to remember getting quite a lot of verbal abuse from him in a seaside resort marathon a few years ago image

It will be good to see you again Brian image

• Having read all the comments, I have to agree with Pete on the course and his thinking.

I have never run a marathon before (done a few halfs in the last few years), so at 54 on race day I thought it was time I did one and the Guild series includes the marathon. I am born and bred in Preston so I understand what the Guild is about, I remember doing the schools play on Avenham park in 1972, the park was full of people. All week the town was full of people watching or participating in Guild activities. Going back to the Guild marathon, being run at the end of October (not Guild week), people may have forgot about the Guild by then, but a reminder to go and watch in the sticks will not get them out.

If the main sticking point is the traffic being stopped for a few hours, big deal, it is a once in a 20 year event. Preston gets grid locked every week. During Guild week roads will be closed, therefore another day won't be to bad.

I know there is a lot more to organising a race than just planning the route, but lets not take the easy option as a token gesture.

I have no knowledge of the volunteers meeting, I assume this is a group of people who are going to help the Guild to be a success, if so, please listen to others opinions and ideas before making the final decision.

Sorry that I have gone on a bit.

• Hi folks

I had a look at the "suggested" route supplied by Pete. All looks very good and inclusive but (a) you'd be trapping a lot of people inside that area for a long time and (b) you'd be excluding a lot of people from outside that area for a long time too - how do you get access to the city centre from when the road closures come into place (usually an hour or so before the race starts) plus you are closing off access from all 3 motorway junctions at some point as well?

Because of the way that runners spread out during longer events, I reckon that from about mile 9 to mile 26 would effectively be closed all day (assuming there's any sort of road closure in place which re-opens after the last runner has passed through - can be 8 or 9 hours for some marathoners) and where does the half marathon fit into this plan? That will be the bigger race in all probability, so that would have to cut across the course at some point.

Some of the bigger marathons that have road closures and are popular tend to be linear i.e. they can be approached from both sides of the route by vehicles or on foot (London has it easy of course - perhaps we should build some tunnels in Preston!)

I can understand why you might think this is a missed opportunity, and as a runner you might be right, but what about the thousands of ordinary folk in Preston who DON'T want to be involved with this event or be inconvenienced by it? Would you want to be forced to stay a prisoner in your home in Preston all that day?

What is likely to have happened is that the Council and the Police (and anyone else with a vested interest) has got together to find a route which would cause minimal disruption to the good people of Preston (I believe there are a few of those image) which doesn't involve multiple laps (because you runners don't like those marathon course either) but which can start and finish in the city centre (unlike the marathons at say London and Brighton which are point to point and avoid the major shopping and other centres)

At the end of the day, whatever course is designed won't suit everyone, whether a runner or a non-runner. How many times have you been harassed at a race by an irate driver who can't wait a couple of minutes to get his pint of milk from Asda or somewhere? I doubt that the Capital Centre or the stores at Riversway or the opposite side of Preston would agree to closing down for the day either.

Don't flame me for these comments - I'm not attacking or defending anyone, just making some observations .....

• Great post ukresults. I think there will always be pros and cons with everything I'm just glad Preston doing a marathon, it saves me on travel and I supposes whatever the route it's going to be a great experience if everyone gets behind it.
  • imageI`m really keen to do it too. I feel like I`M in decent shape at the mo after a fair few injuries last season so I`m kinda thinking about doing Manc or Hull as `practice` for PN!?
  • Do Hull 'cos I'll be there timekeeping! image
  • Hi ukresultsman,

your post explaining things made sense, therefore there is only one thing to do and that is get the application in and get training.

Lets all try to make this a success for the efforts people have put in organising the race, for the volunteers who help on race day and any others who help at anytime.

• As you can see I don't spend a lot of time on here, and there are many reasons for that.

Pete Lovick, as you have such a lot to say about YOUR marathon, please take a look at this link to the Guild web site

You will see how to volunteer on the siteand your input will be welcomed.

I have a few comments to make about your rather harsh posting about me on 5th February. They are in bold text below:

Pete Lovick wrote (see)
    The point is, I've asked Brian for the course a month ago and to date he's just not commenting.  I am now but I don't spend all day every day on here.

Brian is the course measurer who is working with the organisers so why not put my views direct across to him from here? It's obviously simpler and easier to do, to the point, written down, and faster. ...or would be if he answered. ...Do any organisers go to your 'volunteer meeting'? Maybe you can speak to him or the other organisers there? No, actually it is NOT easier through a forum that I visit irregularly. However, a quick look at my profile would enable you to send me a message through here. Or you can contact me through the course measurement web site. Or contact the Race Director, Phil Walsh p.walsh@preston.gov.uk I'm sure he'll be delighted that after hours of meetings with the Police and other stakeholders, you want a different route. Phil will also let you have details of the next Guild Marathon Meeting

The bottom line is, if we're planning a disappointing marathon course,  that disappears away from communties and off out of Preston for a good half of it, then we're basically just planning for a disappointing day. ... so there's no need to 'go round these little villages to get them involved so that we do get people cheering us on' is there? Why the use of WE? By your own admission you have not registered as a volunteer. Please do so.

The route comes first, and until we know it, we can't do any planning.  They'll probably tell us what it is in March or April, and then say it's too late to do anything about it.The route has come first, and is the result of many meetings, as I said above. It hasn't come out in March or April, I published it on here over a month ago.

If Brian was the slightest bit interested, he would be chatting to us via here wouldn't you think?  Anything else just looks like you're hassling him/them.I take ABSOLUTE EXCEPTION to this remark. You clearly do not know me, or my involvement with a great many things. Saying I am not interested is so far off the mark as to be laughable

I look forward to your apology for that one in a private message through this forum

The course has had preliminary measurement that I did on 28th December. It was blowing a gale and by the time we finished we were frozen.
    I may need to go round it twice more to get it right. But I'm waiting until we get warmer weather and lighter days as it is likely to mean a 4am start. Pete, you will be welcome to join myself and the race director on the measurement so you can see first hand the extent of the planning that has already gone into this.

Durham Dawdler, you may have to put up with me commentating only on your run, because I want to run this one. I may never get another chance so I'll talk you to death all the way round image
  • Just want to say I'm looking forward to this series of races and taking the opportunity to do the full series as the next time a Preston Guild comes round I'll be 66 and probably not running full marathons or even halves. Having done Dublin and London the streets of these marathons are not packed from start to finish and is some areas are very sparsley supported. Pheonix Park Dublin has no support what so ever and minimal until you get to the last few miles. As for London I think most of the support disappears once the elites have gone by. Tower Bridge area was packed, Canary Wharf is sparse as is the road to the tunnel before you come up to the Embankment. From there in is packed even for the slow runners like me but the support and encouragement in the last few miles was there when it is needed most. These are both well established marathons (30+ years) that go through city centres and housing estates. The point being that you will still probably only get a few people out watching and supporting whether it's run in residential or country areas till we start to get back into the city centre when it is most needed. I for one am looking forward to this series of races image. Glad it's not laps!! Plus we train without support so we should be able run without support!!image Bring on the summer training.
  • Hi Brian, so good to hear from you.

Firstly, don't get the impression that I've been out to attack you or any organiser. I'm not a forum person at all and have only joined this one to specifically ask you why the organisers are intent on sending us out into the countryside where (if I can tell from your early Jan post correctly) it seems that 10-13 miles of the course is well out of Preston and totally away from the communities.

Your post didn't give the impression that the course had been finalised, hence me making a suggestion. (..and that's all it was, merely a suggestion). So are you now saying it IS finalised, even though the actual exact start and finish incidentals aren't finalised?  Then if so, then why don't you just give us an outline of the course via gmap-pedometer or something, instead of leaving us with a vague, ambiguous description of the course that's been agreed with all parties?.

In the end, I'm asking why have the organisers decided to send us out into the countryside away from all the communities? This is a once in twenty year event so why would we do that? Plus, why would we allow a 'dead zone' of some 10-13 miles? (I don't believe it's a traffic problem, because with all your vast experiences between you at organising top level races, shutting down a lane or part of a lane on a dual carriageway, or even wide roads like New Hall Lane, Blackpool Road, Tom Benson Way, etc isn't a problem. Heck, councils do it all the time for roadworks for days and months on end and still keep traffic flowing). I'm just trying to understand the thinking behind it.

Thanks for giving me a link to become a Guilder, become a volunteer and 'give my input', but how is that going to answer my question? Do you think Phil Walsh is going to let me know? That's why I'm asking you. And if it IS finalised now, and no suggestions or 'input' is asked for or even warranted, then I'm sure that, being an insider, you could now let us know the reasoning behind the course? Yes?

Apologies for not emailing you via here to ask, but like I say, forums aren't my bag. I didn't know you could do that, but if you can answer me I'd be truly grateful. ...A bonus would be if you could possibly provide us with a visual outline of the course that's been agreed. Even a link to a gmap-pedometer outline would be good, then we aren't trying to continually guess are your description.

Secondly, yes of course I'd be more than happy to measure it for you or with you. A 26 mile bike ride at 4am isn't a problem. By all means just let me know. ..but the point here of course is WHERE is being measured that's the problem, not the actual measuring of it, but I think you've kinda guessed that by now).

Hopefully you can enlighten me, a mere mortal runner, of the wisdom behind what's been agreed as a course that's fit for a Guild. Separately, why we are not racing during Guild Week would also be good to know too.

Leave it with you. Cheers.

• Seems to be a hidden agenda going on here.

How long has Preston Council and all its staff been under the control of Brian Porter?

• Bring on the Preston Guild Marathon, it will be the best thing that has hit the North WEest in many a year.

With dozens of charities likely to be raising funds both locall and nationaly, I would like all runners, joggers & walkers out there to consider taking part in this event for our wounded heroes and raise funds for the fastest growing charity in the UK, HelpforHeroes. For you help we will offer (sponsored) all runners raising a minimum of £500 a FREE Garmin Forerunner 205 to help with those training runs and health support, FREE,  All inclusive trip to the 2013 Paris Marathon including entry (20.000 runners) and FREE entry to the 2013 Central Lancashire Half Marathon on 6th January, ideal preparation for Paris.  Contact Ron on 01253 395976 (Answer Phone)  

• Bring on the Preston Guild Marathon, it will be the best thing that has hit the North West in many a year.

With dozens of charities likely to be raising funds both locall and nationaly, I would like all runners, joggers & walkers out there to consider taking part in this event for our wounded heroes and raise funds for the fastest growing charity in the UK, HelpforHeroes. For you help we will offer (sponsored) all runners raising a minimum of £500 a FREE Garmin Forerunner 205 to help with those training runs and health support, FREE,  All inclusive trip to the 2013 Paris Marathon including entry (20.000 runners) and FREE entry to the 2013 Central Lancashire Half Marathon on 6th January, ideal preparation for Paris.  Contact Ron on 01253 395976 (Answer Phone)  

• Keith OB wrote (see)

Seems to be a hidden agenda going on here.

How long has Preston Council and all its staff been under the control of Brian Porter?

I agree Keith.

Pete, the best person to answer your questions is Phil Walsh.

Do I think Phil Walsh is going to answer your questions?

Yes I do, particularly as he is about to get an email from me telling him to expect your email

• Keith OB: Rest assured, there is no hidden agenda. It's just a simple question.

It's just that Brian, with being a senior course measurer working with an excellent team of organisers for many a race, may be best suited to give us the insights about this once in twenty year planned Guild route and answer the question for me.

If he's not been involved in designing the route, and maybe Phil Walsh has just given him an agreed route that he has to go measure, then I'm sure he'll advise us of that.

No hidden agenda. ...I'm just flummoxed as to why the runners, joggers, walkers and communities of Preston would be given such a route for a very special occasion, especially when we have such high expertise and experience working on our behalf. The answers may be something simple, who knows.

• Pete,

My job starts and ends with measuring the course.

You'll have to ask Phil Walsh al your other questions. I know a lot of routes were considered in consulation with the many running clubs in and around Preston, and the route is solely within the PR Postcodes.

I've only lived in the Preston area for 20 years. The last Preston Guild was well under way when I arrived in the County. I am a Cumbrian by birth and have adopted Lanncashire as my home now. I have been interviewed and accepted as a volunteer, and I am looking forward to whatever roles i'm asked to perform.

You perhaps don't agree with Jose Carreras performing in Avenham park either, but he IS coming and thousands of people will enjoy it.

You may not like the idea of Preston passion either, but that's happening too.

The bottom line is there are a lot of people working INCREDIBLY hard to put on a year that people will remember.

There will be events that people do not want to get involved with, but a look on the Guils web site this morning shows 59 different events planned so far. Surely there is something for everyone

• Ha ha! Hiya Brian,

I have absolutely noo beef with anything else to do with the Guild, and I'm also highly positive that many people are working incredibly hard to make many other events happen this year, so uhm, I don't know why you're even mentioning that!. lol. ...I'm not a complainer you know.

My only beef is with the course you have been given to measure. Nothing more and nothing less.

If it seems you have no idea why we are not having a course that runs through Preston's communties then yes it's Phil Walsh that I should ask isn't it, and I'd be more than happy to meet him for 5 mins if that's what you advise. Feel free to let me know how best I do that.

Also, now that you're giving me the impression that the Guild course was actually finalised and agreed before it was given to you to measure then could you please give us a link to it now?

• To be fair the course ain't great.

I know people don't like laps but I would prefer a course that comes past the Harris a few times. I know it is only a 10k but the Leyland Boxing Day goes past the centre area of the park 4 times, without actually doing laps. It seemed ok to me running it and people spectating said how great it was to see so much of the action.

Anyway, it sounds like the route is a done deal so no problemo. Not sure whether I will be doing the full or half. Usually do Preston 10 and Run Preston so think I just need to add the other race to get the Guild set.

I live in Longton now but am from Leyland so to be honest I still think of myself as not being from Preston!

• Pete, I posted Phil's email adress for you yesterday, or call him at The Council offices. You want the Phil Walsh who is in charge of The Guild (there are two of them in the council)

I'll stick a Garmin trace online when I finish the measurement.

There is lots of time between now and the race.

as an example of how much time, there is a marathon in Manchester in April and through much procrsatination it still has not been measured.

I won't be doing any more on this event until the spring when the weather is better. Before then I have about 6 races to measure that take place over the next couple of months. They have to take priority.

There are some on these forums who think I am some sort of miracle worker image but the reality is I only have one pair of hands, one bike and 24 hours in a day image

• Ok Brian, many thanks for coming back and sharing your thoughts and position, although I really thought that senior measurers such as yourself had a lot more to do with the deciding on the route than you obviously have. ...Shame that. Shame for all of us.

So to sum up, if you're saying that the course ISN'T a 'done deal', as Maxpower has just succinctly put it, then it's worth me emailing Mr Walsh to see if there's any leeway isn't it, but if it IS a done deal, then well, there's absolutely no point in me wasting anybody's time is there ...as the course would be signed, sealed and delivered and we'll all just have to go wherever the 'powers that be' say we have to go.

Let me know will you? Cheers.

It would be good if you would give us a proper outline of the route they want you to measure though. Gmap is ideal for doing it quickly from your armchair before you even set out on your bike. I do it all the time with my runs, so there's no need to wait for your Garmin, or spring.

Oh, and if you want any courses measuring within a 20 mile radius of Preston just let me know and I'll happily chip in, noo probs. Ciaoo for now.

• There are always measurements to do so please take a look at the course measurement web site where you will find details of how to become a measurer.

Theres and introductory lesson on there.

• Thanks to those who have responded early to run for our charity HelpforHeroes in October and especially to a Preston double glazing businessman who is sponsoring 4 of his employees to take part. It is also nice to see  three local club runners from Preston supporting our Heroes. Looks like Paris 2013 is going to have quite a contingent from the North West, keep it going and thank you.

Ron

• RocketRon wrote (see)

Thanks to those who have responded early to run for our charity HelpforHeroes in October and especially to a Preston double glazing businessman who is sponsoring 4 of his employees to take part. It is also nice to see  three local club runners from Preston supporting our Heroes. Looks like Paris 2013 is going to have quite a contingent from the North West, keep it going and thank you.

Ron

RocketRon

Welcome back to the Message Board.

Congratulations on a superb offer to those promising to raise a minimum of £500 in sponsorship for Help For Heroes by running the Guild marathon. Garmins, trips to Paris - very generous. Will the money raised be in addition to the £150,000 you are raising for Help For Heroes by running from Land’s End to John O’Groats in “late March or early April 2012”  (Gazette article, 1st September 2011)?

When you do Rons Challenge, in “late March or early April 2012”, is there anywhere within reasonable travelling distance where we will be able to come and support you when you pass through? I can’t find details on the Rons Challenge website. Come to think of it I can’t find the website anymore. How is preparation for the run coming along? Still putting in alternate weeks of 130 and 65 miles or have you upped it?

• Soupy

Running not good presently,  only on 5/6 miles a day, plus cycling on doctors advise, waiting to go into BVH for an Atrial Fibrilation operation to clear a blocked artery, challenge put on hold last September, looking like mid may when everything should be OK health wise. The challenge will be done, run, walk or crawl for this great charity. A lot of support already signed up. I will let you have full details of the route and the run (A6) from Preston to CARLISE.  With over 150.000 miles & fifty years of running I think I know how I am to acheive this aim. Thank you for your concern, hope by returning to the forum it will generate some good support also.

Ron

• Soupy

Forgot to reply to one of your questions, I will be fundraising for H$H for the next three years or so with many events locally, bike rides, golf days, runs etc.

Ron

• i asked Pete Lovick if he had an agenda which  he said he didn't but we all know someone who does have an agenda now don't we??
  • I think you're right KOB I live in Preston and I was looking for a marathon for October. I have done Snowdonia in the past fantastic race,lovely people, lovely scenery however terrible weather and 4 times of being soaked to the skin for 4 and a half hours was no longer funny. So last year I did Liverpool against my better judgement because I cannot tolerate the runliverpool mafia.It was okay but not one of my favourite races just local. I saw this and thought Preston Guild only comes around every 20 years might be worth doing but already I can feel the animosity from just 3 pages. People moaning about courses, moaning about measuring, Soup and Ron back in the old routine I think I'm going to risk being pissed wet through in Snowdonia with happy friendly people in beautiful scenery. Hope you all enjoy!