Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• Please make him catch flies with chopsticks Sam - pleeeeeease, pleeeeease! BoD - we'll need video footage!  image

Kevster - check out Rosie's thread - Sam posted some stuff there earlier image (I have similar intentions ...)

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Rather do the dodging the spikes thing....

Change of plan this morning: up at 5:00, dressed into running gear, looked out window, realised everything frozen and slippy, back into bed with intention to run this evening instead...
  • Good move BoD, there's no sense in trying to run on sheets of ice and ending up flat on your back! I did the same (not at 5am though!) and went for a good swim instead. Much as I am wholly underwhelmed by treadmills, this is one of those times when they can be quite handy. Do you have access to one at all?
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    I've got to go to a hostel later, so might ask if I can use one at the local pool with a gym... Fingers crossed!
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    They will let me on the dreadmill for £8 a session!!! But get to use steamroom and sauna too... Could have a swim too if I can get my meeting done.
  • Hi Gang - just a heads up for anyone wanting a PB marathon in the autumn - Abingdon is on 21st October and is as flat as puppy roadkill and voted top uk pb event by RW - entries have just opened and last year it closed by end February so need to hurry if you fancy it (i've entered) - one good thing about this one is that it is always oversubscribed (1100 max) and they work a waiting list so you can enter and if you get injured or change your mind you can transfer your entry to someone else so no risk entering early.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Thanks for pointing that one out mate. Think Lee was talking about it at the London day, really rated it. I've got my hometown half the week before and intend to give it everything I've got (be the anniversary of my first race)... Not going to be in any fit state for a marathon the following week... Maybe next year though!

By the way, how did Rosie do a marathon on a treadmill??? Just done 6 miles of repeats and wanted to hang up my Asics for good... Not really but bit of a struggle... Could have been also related to the fact that my mathematics was really off (I've got an A level in Phyics for heavens sake)... Though 9.5mph was 7:20 pace...Woops, seems that is 6:19... Found it really hard to judge the effort as the place was really warm and sweaty... That was deffo hard...
  • Ha ha! Well done though - got your eight quid's worth!

Oscarr, thanks for the Abingdon alert. I might be up for that. Am holding one of my marathon workshops next Sunday so busy preparing for that this week - and hoping the snow disappearsimage

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Needed to feel it for that kind of money!!! If I'm going to bankrupt myself running, it's going to be on gear not a dreadmill...

Totally famished too. Only had a couple of shreaded wheat, few slices of toast and a tin of beans... Got some harrisha chicken and couscous going on tonight. Maybe more beans and toast for dessert...
  • I don't get very far at 9.5mph Craig! Well done.

Since the race was aborted on the weekend, I decided I could add a speed session into my program this week. With some trepidation I had another crack at the interval session that caused my injury a couple of weeks back. I started with a very easy warm-up mile, then a mile of "strides" from 6mph to 10mph to loosen up, then eight quarter-mile intervals at 7.5mph (2:00) with 0.15mile (1:45) jog recovery It was very comfortable, with no sign of any pain! Finished with a mile jog.

Had a beef stew afterwards, and an early hot cross bun image
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Good work Ten, you really are back on form! Have to love those repeats, and no pain!!!

Yummy beef stew...
  • Hi Sam - where is your workshop this week? hope you get a nice hotel with a big roaring fire
  • Good session Tenjiso - really glad you've outwitted the injuryimage

I'm just not feeling it this week. The snow is pretty bad here and I am so hopeless at running on ice/snow that I've just stuck to cross-training. Did a one-to-one yoga session this morning which felt great. Really worked on my hip flexors, that have a tendency to tighten up, and then pull my pelvis a bit out of kilter. I have had a real on/off relationship with yoga over the years but when I moved to Rye I found a great teacher and it's been part of my regime for about 18 months now. I find it really helpful and it's a rare (!) occasion that I don't feel competitive or that I need to push myself. I just let my body do what it wants to do. Any other yogis out there?

• Oh, and my marathon workshop is at crystal palace in London... so I'll be driving up the night before and staying at the five star 'My mum's house' down the road in Blackheath! Incidentally, she lives directly beside the first mile marker on the VLM route, if anyone's passing that point and needs a quick pitstopimage
  • Sam - always good to stay at mum's hotel !  I tried pilates but couldn't find a class i was happy with - did a session of yoga once on a mgt training course which was fun and i can see the benefit cos we did a lot of floor stretching exercises.  For this spring mara will stay with my exercise routine which i have worked on a lot but after that may look at something like pilates or yoga again.  At my age, keeping the body supple will help a lot i think - i sometimes get right thigh/hip tightening which leads to pain in knee for a day after so certainly need to strengthen the core, glutes, quads etc to combat that. 
  • boy that was a hard session !! hill reps - 3 x 10 mins with 2 min recovery up a 1 min hill so a total of 15 mins hard uphill - 2m w/up and 2m c/dn - fingers nearly fell off inside my gloves coming home - smoothies then peanut butter and jam on toast 
  • If anyone is racing Bramley 20/10 this weekend look out for me - marshal at left hand turn after 6.7 miles
  • BD, too right dreadmills are a curse, in this country there is never a weather condition that can't be run in. When in Quebec it was -50 with wind chill which was too cold
  • I really enjoy training on the treadmill image
  • Good effort Oscarr.  Just a quickie to say morning all - as still being technologically challenged - I like treadmills too but I also like getting outside - horses for courses!

What you up to today Craig?

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Had late night reporting yesterday, so didn't get back home till half seven. Nice 12 hour day dealing with stuff...image Been out for my sheduled 6 miles steady... Now eating far at too much. Slower than intended due to ice and no appropriate shoes... Have to post later.

Deffo horses for courses with treads. Personally not for me, I even struggle with them having gait analysis.... Dont like the feeling of running and not going anywhere. And totally have issues with £35 + per month gyms or fitness studios (with two year I breakable contracts). Had a think about it this morning on the run and remember seeing people doing the same stuff I was expected to do: 10 min on this, 15 on that and another 10 on that and never making much progress.... Frustrating.

Was something that made it worth the £8, sweat, mild passive aggression and all that: really enjoyed being out this morning. Really enjoyed it. Hit of oxygen, movement, rhythm, space, engagement, felt smooth and like I was passing through space and time with effortless ease. Disappointed when finished. Hummm, might be a good way of sparking things up if need to get re-Invigerated.

Good work on the hills session oscarr and nice move marshalling at the weekend. Hope it goes well.
  • Oscarr, totally agree. I'd never really enjoyed yoga (more endured it) until this current teacher. It's all about finding someone who you trust and respect and click with. Same as coaches really image

Morning Craig, done your 6 miles steady yet? Was thinking about your long run this weekend and our chat about pace and finding it hard to run at a very easy pace (getting a bit mind-numbed!). So I was thinking about throwing in some faster bouts.

My suggestion is 3 miles easy (10.45ish?), 1 mile MP, 4 miles easy, 1 mile MP, 4 miles easy,  final mile at 9.40ish.

How does that sound?

• BoDuke wrote (see)

really enjoyed being out this morning. Really enjoyed it. Hit of oxygen, movement, rhythm, space, engagement, felt smooth and like I was passing through space and time with effortless ease. Disappointed when finished. Hummm, might be a good way of sparking things up if need to get re-Invigerated.
    Bo - you should publish some of these quips to enthuse other first timers to take on a marathon !!
  • Sam - how did you find your yoga teacher, advert/recommendation/friend ? and do you do it in a class or always one on one?  is it expensive and how often do you do it?  Sorry for all the questions but good to log for the future.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Just as I've got a quiet 5 minutes: pace this morning was an ave of 9:54, slower than intended, but avoiding slipping on the ice and skipping Bambi like between the sheets (not sure if that's the case, never seen Bambi... I know, how did that happen???)

Sam: I'm taking note of the yoga thing too. Was reading your thinking of the Alexanda technique, but don't think that would have much following here, Cambridge maybe. So yoga is an option after this... I'm liking the sound of the long run, breaking it up a bit file be good. The first MP mile would also be uphill (I call it up hill, but everyone else would see it as a slight incline...) Also got some cycle route maps to try to keep it interesting for the 16/18/20 milers...

Thanks oscarr! I can see why people might not want to do the distance, but the training is as much fun as anything else. Requires motivation and drive, but once your out... Was thinking about the right hander onto the Saine, running towards Notre-Dame, 14/15 miles and feeling strong...
  • oscarr wrote (see)
    Sam - how did you find your yoga teacher, advert/recommendation/friend ? and do you do it in a class or always one on one?  is it expensive and how often do you do it?  Sorry for all the questions but good to log for the future.

It was through a friend's recommendation. I normally do weekly class (about 10 people) which is £7 but that was my second one-to-one, and you get so much out of the personal attention, that I think it's definitely worth doing every 3-4 weeks... informs what you do in the next class. The cost is £25 for an hour (the class is 90 mins) but it feels quite concentrated.

BoD, well done on getting out there - and pace was only a few secs off 'steady' so nothing to worry about.. I just road-tested some overshoe ice spikes yesterday - review on my website. They instil huge confidence and are mega grippy, but not very comfy image.

Btw, you can see if there's an Alexander Technique teacher near you by looking at their website which is www.stat.org.uk

• BoDuke wrote (see)

Thanks oscarr! I can see why people might not want to do the distance, but the training is as much fun as anything else. Requires motivation and drive, but once your out... Was thinking about the right hander onto the Saine, running towards Notre-Dame, 14/15 miles and feeling strong...
    Bo - as this is your first one the mental side of it when you are on your feet for over 4 hours will be part of the challenge so great you are starting to develop your own ways to addess this - the visualisation of how you want to feel at points in the Paris race will be good for you.  I think Sam has already posted my favourite running quote which is "pain is inevitable, suffering is optional" and you will hurt in the latter stages and that's when its as much mental as physical so try and develop your own thoughts that will get you to the end (e.g. your wife's smiling face, that glass of red wine, any running mantras you have like "push, push - will get there etc" - they have to be your own personal ones to be of any benefit)
  • Sam - thanks for the yoga info.
  •  Knight Rider; a cut and paste from other thread but would like you to start thinking about the below. As you will be doing some half marathons & some very long runs in lead up to Paris can I ask you to start using these races/runs to practise: 1. What you plan to eat and drink in the days leading up to the marathon? Are you going to carb load or not if yes you need to practise this for at least 1-2 days as this will not work for everyone. 2. What you plan to eat and drink the morning of the race: as far as I am aware the race starts at 8.45am? The best pre-marathon breakfast/snack is a well practise one but consider stomach comfort so make sure portion of what you eat suits you and the time you eat works for you as an individual. The pre race meal & snack should be low in fat and protein as these will take longer to leave the stomach and longer to digest (than carbs) and  both protein and fat are not needed  to fuel your race at this time as you have enough stores of these. Most runners tend to eat 3-4 hours before (for example cereals/toast/pasta/fruit juice) but then often will have a very light snack 2 hours before (banana, ½ jam sandwich, cereal bar, sipping on sports drinks). Sport drinks and gels are not necessary before the race but if it works for you then that fine.  3. How do you plan to fuel during race? Elite runners will get away with consuming very little fluid and fuel during  a marathon partly to do with  their ability to store carbs, their high VO2  max and running economy but for most non-elite runners you  will need between 20 -50g of carbs per hour. The fluid advice is to drink to thirst but one 500ml bottle of isotonic sports drink will provide around 32g of carbs so if you need 32g of carb an hour and want to use a sports drink can you drink 500ml of fluid per hour or will this be too much for you? (This is probably too much for many but weather will play a big part in this).  The advice is not to drink more than 400ml an hour for smaller runners and 800ml per hour for larger and to drink to thirst.