Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Spen: you might get more use then you imagine out of the treadmill. I find them invaluable for interval and hill sessions. The accuracy you can set the pace and incline too is hard to replicate outside. Is worth always setting the incline to 1%, regardless of the session as this allows for air resistance you get from running outside.

If Brighton do make it a case of everyone has to collect there numbers in the days before the race next year from the Expo. am not sure if I will bother. Seems to much hassle for what it is worth, but guess it will finally depend on what I think of the race this year as it will be my first Brighton.

• Spen - great news re treadmill you don't mess around do you!!

Was booked to do intervals at a track session tonight but it got cancelled due to the surface conditions.most of the road round here don't have pavements and are very icy so I daren't risk going outside, so just done my intervals on the treadmill.

I realise it's an easier option but surely getting the mikes in the legs all counts doesn't it?

Tim0 - I hear what your saying with temptation of not venturing out when a treadmill arrives but there is still no nicer way of running than taking in everything around!

Hopefully this ice will clear and we'll all be outside running really soon image
  • Morning all

well was a complete an utter wimp yesterday i could have gone out for my run as we have no snow or ice but knowing i had to ride the bike to work just didn’t fancy getting cold twice in one day so i set the treadmill up in the living room and did the 5 miles on that while watching old episodes of Dragons Den

got to say i don’t mind the treadmill and have used it to keep up with the training for the past 2 marathons when the weather is bad but do agree with Sarah you can’t beat a run outside i tend to use mine for speed work as i think i said before i am a bit of a plodder and find that the treadmill forces you to run at a quicker pace

Rest day today hopefully i will go down and collect the car

Spen hope you find your treadmill as usefully as i found mine

• My treadmill was one of the best bits of exercise equipment ive brought...its never been used as a clothes horse!! You cant beat running outside but in these weather conditions you have to be safe...my daughter who has been training for the brighton half has had to pull out as she went over on the path and is now in a light plaster and using crutches!!! with another hospital visist in 2 weeks time to see if her fracture is healing..that happened sunday night....yes the treadmill isnt ideal but for me intervals and tempo runs are better done on there as it makes me run at a greater speed for longer..or ill fly off the back and into a wall...i dont attach the safety string either ...

Im hoping though the weather forcast is wrong as i dont fancy 15 miles on it though image 11 was bad enough last weekend...

Safe running to all

• i am a broken man.

after the succes of tuesday i ran 8 miles yesterday at my target MP of 8 minute miles. Again without pace watching so I seem to be locked into that. Felt absolutley fantastic.

went for my 4 today and three miles in and not pushing it i ripped my left calf.

i am at a loss on what to do next.

• I did an hour on a treadmill this morning, seeing I've not been able to get out with any confidence. Physically fine, but my brain turned to cream cheese. I don't think we'll be getting one...

Rondo - you need to rest and mend. Get yourself to someone for some massage and advice, but that will include rest.

• Rondo - hope your calg gets better soon.

Sarah - no messing around here running is a serious business.

SR / Toby3 - I hope I do get alot of use out of it especially for hills and intervals, I cant wait until Sunday when it is delivered, but got to clear the garage first and sell my weight training stuff.

Yvonne2 - really bad news about your daughter I hope she gets mended very soon, I fell over twice on Tuesday and my knee and hip still hurt.

take care everyone

• For the ice, buy some Kahtoola microspikes (or similar) and continue to run outside. All conditions image
  • Rondo, sorry to hear. Injury is horrible, good luck with the recovery.

Treadmills are good in the right time and place. I have done a few runs on them this week to avoid injury, but most of my training this year has been outside because its been quite nice out.  That said last year i was coming back from injury and ran all my long runs on the treaddie. A 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 & 22.  Sounds tough, I guess it was but with prep it made it easier. I like footy so lined up the runs whilst watching a game on sunday afternoon.  ( I can imagine that would sound like a nightmare scenario for most folk).

Anyhow. Hope everyones training is going well.  Doing "ok" here. Have a slight sniffle but nothing that is stopping me do what I need to. ....

• toby: I hope you have more luck with the new car then the last.

yvonne: I wish your daughter a speedy recovery. Probably best if conditions have not warmed up to do your run on the treadmill.

rondo: you need to RICE your calf, (Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation), give it some time and if it has not improved might be worth a Dr's visit to find out how severe it is and how long off running you need to take. Let's hope it is not long.

Spen: did 5 miles myself on the treadmill earlier, with a 1% incline. They are no where near as bad as some people make them out to be.

AGF: I see your also doing Abingdon this year. Will be my first time at this event and am planning on making it my Autumn A race, so will be full on attempt at a PB.

• Good man Solent. It's the same plan for me. In fact it's my a race for the year. It was my first marathon last year and really enjoyed it !! A good choice. image
  • AGF: probably my A race for the year too. Everything I am doing in training and racing at the moment feels like it is just building to hopefully a peak at Abingdon. It feels strange to get excited about a race so far ahead, but I have high hopes for this event.
  • Morning all

snowing here at the moment so will have to see how bad it is when i wake up before i decide about my LSR this week which should be 20 miles
  • I see the runner's information packs are being sent electronically.

We've had more snow - which makes my plan to work from home look like a really smart move. image I'm thinking of sneaking out for a run in my (slightly long) lunch break.

Worried that this weekend's race (Stamford) might be cancelled, then I've got to find 20 miles from somewhere.

Karen - if you pop in, I know you know Folksworth, how does that compare (hilliness wise) to Stamford?

• SR - I cant wait to get my treadmill, just got to sort the garage out tomorrow to fit it in, I was hoping for more snow today so could stay at home and get started, but no luck managed to get to work.

18 miles for me tomorrow, due to conditions may just use a 4 mile loop from my house and just do a few laps.

take care everyone

• FayaFaya ✭✭✭
    I've had a terrible training week. I was away over last weekend, so I only did 7.5 miles (non stop in 1 hour 47 mins) on Saturday with the idea that I would do another 7.5 on the Sunday when I got home, only it was snowing and I caught a cold overnight. So a few days rest and I've only managed a quick 3 mile run on Wednesday and now it's snowing again. I'm hoping to pop down to one of the local gyms over the weekend, I just don't know if they'll let me run for 3-3.5 hours on a treadmill without telling me off image
  • Faya - I think loads of us are in the same boat. I had a word with the gym and they had time limits at busy times. However at less busy times they were happy for people to use apparatus as longas they liked as long as no-one was waiting to use the machines. You might have to find out when the queit times are and see if you can't get down there then.

Don't envy you that long on a treadie though - an hour did my head in!

• i woke this morning feeling very positive.

In marathon training terms running 15 miles over three days is fairly minor, but coming back from an injury and doing that is plain stupid. I checked on endomondo and even though my splits were 8min miles, I was actually running 7.30s but stopping to cross roads. This isn't exactly taking it easy for me.

I am confident that my fitness is good so I am going to try and stick with very very easy LSRs every saturday. I am going to stick with the half next weekend as it is paced so I will just run with the 9 minute pacer to get used to it. The shorter runs are just too tempting to speed up on and I find it difficult to resist so I will replace those with my cycle commute.

I have heard a lot about cycling shortening your muscles and I think that is exactly what has happened from  only cycling with no running for a year.

Everyone seems to be making great progress at the moment. I used to love the treadmill in the gymn for intervals as you could really push it for speed.

• Hi All, Checking in after another fairly long absence. You all seem to be doing really well and adapting to the harsh weather conditions with the use of dreadmills or just extra clothing and spikes.
    I have been having a bit of a rest after completing Tough Guy the weekend before last. Can honestly say its the hardest thing I've ever done - but then I've never done Tri's or ultra's! Got a tremendous sense of achievement out of it and the best cup of Hot Chocolate ever. We had a team of 20 entered and all managed to finish and have raised £32000 for the NSPCC and Childline, so far. Managed to tweak my calf fairly early in so could only shuffle and it took me longer than most of you are predicting your marathon time!
    Hence rest apart from Bootcamps in the snow and strength training. Planning to get back out there this weekend. Leg feels fine. Now have to really crack on with my distance training because have yet to do a ten miler!
    I am going to take the advice on wearing a buff to cover nose and mouth as I had to go to Doctor re exercise induced Asthma, so thanks for that tip. I think coughing after a run in the cold is due to cold air hitting lungs and irritating the lining. Apparently far more Winter sport athletes suffer from Asthma than summer ones due to all the exercising in cold dry air for long periods.
    Re missing runs- we will all probably miss a few throughout our training for all sorts of reasons. Thanks for reposting Dips advice, Toby, wise words. I got to 19.5 last year so didn't break the 20 barrier beforehand. Totally get the psychology of doing it but don't thinks it will make much difference on the day.
    Rondo- Hope the calf heals quickly, don't be tempted to get back to training too soon. Better to let it heal completely.
    Keep safe everyone and happy running!
  • fortysomething  - well done image image so have you signed up for next year yet ???? I am supporting two charities this year and one of them is the NSPCC.

take care everyone

• So a quick question, What do most of you plan to do. A steady pace all the way round or a slower first half followed by a quicker second ?
  • Stig - I am going for steady pace, and possible negative split depends how it goes on the day
  • Spen -No not signed up for next year. Have to let the bruises fade first!!!
    Stig- I'm planning on a steady pace all the way round. Will be glad just to make it to the start line without further injury!
  • fast pace all the way round for me, well what I call fast others call slow!!!!

Going to run with  st albans striders tomorrow 8am start!!! 14miles I think. Hopefully will finish of what has been a great weeks training. Some really good runs going on out there and some very long distances being run al ready.

Happy running 

• Stig - I've got my times all planned out to allow for a complete blow out at the end like last year!!!
    mile 1 - 9min
    mile 2 - 9min
    mile 3-18 - 8.45's
    then add 15secs per mile on for each of the remaining miles
    I make that 3:59:09 and that Sir will be the end of my marathon career
    And I reckon that's a pretty cushy last 8 miles too, I've got a £50 donation if I bust 3:55
  • Stig - a nice concervative approach for me - finish is the important thing. First 5 at MP + 30, then pick up to MP. Hopefully survive on that. I've been having trouble hitting MP - tend to drift up in speed, hence the slow first 5 to ease myself in.
  • Stig, I'm hoping to ease in with gentle first few miles then moving to MP for first half. Second half the main aim is not to hit the wall. Same plan as last year, only last year I didn't execute the plan!!! -too quick on the first half and hit the wall at 19.5 miles (give or take a 100 yards!)

Just had a couple of days off, as knee was a bit sore (not sure why!) Good, if mentally difficult, session on treadmill this am. Gradually moved the pace up slightly for each km of a 12km run on 4-4.5% incline.  Did however, use my MP3 player at the gym for the first time ever! And cos I didn't have my glasses with me, discovered an album I haven't played for years!! I'm hoping the snow clears soon, but I have to admit, I would not have pushed as hard on a run outside!

Sarah, miles on the treadmill definitely all count! image

Rondo, hope it goes well. You may find, especially if you have got shortened muscles from all the bike riding, that you're particularly prone to muscle pulls on very cold days. I found this a bit when I came  back to running and had to experiment with finding out what worked for me clothing-wise. My initial experiment with running tights didn't work, got a strain after about 2.5 miles! Then a few runs later got a strain after slightly shorter distance. Now I tend to run in warmer tracksuit when its very cold, rather than take any risks.

Some good running going on out there. FSAF, impressed that you managed to complete the Tough guy and as a team did so well for the charities image

Enjoy the new treadmill Spen !

Thanks to all for your updates. Even though its not my first marathon, I really appreciate not feeling on my own in all this!

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Thanks guys. I was thinking of a steady pace. Which brings me onto my next question. Has anyone ever followed a pacer round and how did you find it ?

Sorry having only done beachy which I couldn't plan a pace for it's all new to me.

• Stig: in my previous marathons I have mainly gone off fast at the start to put time in the bank for when I slow latter. This got me to where I wanted to be at the time, but for this marathon I think for the first time I will write all my marathon pace, mile times down and with also water/Lucozade stop points for working out when to take gels, then look at it each mile to see if I need to speed up, (most likely), or slow down. Hope this will keep me consistent and get me my target time.
  • Genius juggler. I think that is the answer. I bought some compression socks to help that but my calfs are so skinny they just fall down when I run.

My plan is slow first half so I can enjoy the last half more and maybe speed up through the dreaded shoreham bit.