Kalahari extreme marathon

Spoke to people at the Comrades expo and this seems to be a great event without the hassle of trying to get into the marathon De Sables. It is held in October

Has anyone done it ? I would like to put it on my bucket list , perhaps for 1- 2 years time. NO experience of hot desert running and just a few ultras under my belt. Any advice or reports most welcome

Comments

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    If you are referring to the Augrabies Ultra in the Kalahari, I haven't run this myself, but I know plenty of people who have (and who have raved about it), and I also know the organisers (who are welcoming and supportive).

I've heard nothing but good things about it. It does have smaller fields than the MdS (dozens rather than hundreds), without the media circus and profile that follows it. Mimi Anderson, who is one of the UK's most experienced ultra runners often says that it's her favourite race in the world.
  • Oh, and apparently there are giraffes along the trail side!

Don't get little touches like that at the London marathon. 

Seriously though, there are probably more than half a dozen races in SA that would justify the cost of a plane ticket.

• FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Thanks for that. Perhaps that needs to go on the bucket list now that Comrades has been done image

If this thread pops up in a search , and you are considering it as an event. Please PM me .

• I have run the KAEM twice and loved every minute of both races. There are usually about 30 - 40 who enter per year and the route is changed every year. The wild life is stunning and Nadia and Estianne who run the event are fantastic people. Its one of my most favourite events and one that you will never forget. Definitely one to put on your bucket list and in my opinion far better than the MdS.
  • I wish i was of the calibre of Mimi ( big fan and I follow her ) but unfortunately I damaged my Achilles doing Comrades up last year and had to take 7 months off all activity,. I started back February this year with a walk run strategy. So far so good. Did 18k last week with no problems and hope to get back to marathon distance asap.

Its probably not realistic to be able to make it until 2013 but is there anything specific one could do to prepare for this kind of desert race more than any usual ultra?
    Does one wear lots of warm clothing for summer training here or what is the best approach.
  • Poor Fizziofinn

You didn't have much luck at Comrades between the food poisoning and the injury. 

Still got a smashing time though! 

Another South African event, which all the local runners raved about, was the Addo elephant trail.