Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• Evening all

Well  that’s second of my 20 mile runs done i had to kick myself out the door today and when i left it was snowing but fortunately it stop after about 2.5 miles the whole run took me 3:31:37 with an Avg pace of 10:49 m/m

Which i am pleased with as i set out to keep the pace slow and the good thing is i managed to run the whole 20 miles this time with no walk breaks

It will be a steady plod for me on the day

• Just read the race info they e-mailed. To be honest I think I would have preferred a magazine. With all the details in that e-mail it would have been easier to take a magazine with me on race day, rather then print offs of the important parts. They said it was due to them being green, but does make me wonder how much of it was to do with moneyimage. I mean for nearly £50 to enter, surely a magazine is the least we can expect.
  • Stig - I don't have a pace strategy really, just want to finish but I will try and not go off too quickly at the start and gradually build up. My legs are good at deciding how fast (or slow) they want to go. I think it will also depend on the conditions on the day. I can guarantee I won't look at my Garmin all the way round, will just see what I've done at the end.

My training has gone pretty well this week. I did drop one of the mid-week runs due to the snow but given I've got a 15 miler on Sunday I think a little less trainings is no bad thing.

Solent - I had the same thought: £50 and they can't even supply a printed magazine. I'm all for saving trees but I also thought it was due to them penny pinching! image The mag would have also been a good keepsake.

Rondo, whats the deal with the Shoreham bit - no dreaded hills I hope!? image

Have a great weekend everyone! image
  • Ooh rondo do take it steady if you rest for a few days now you will hopefully recover well, start back too soon and you could cause more trouble for yourself. I do hope you're fully recovered soon. I agree RICE

Yvonne, I bet your daughter is gutted after all the training, hopefully she'll heal really well and be training for another race soon

I am encouraged by the treadmill debates I was feeling guilty about using it for the LSRs but it is definately the safer option now.

As for the strategy on the day - I'm a first timer and I'm finding that I struggle to do my long slow runs at the recommended slow pace. I'm supposed to do 11.50 min miles but have been running about 10.15 min miles (a huge difference) I suppose I just try to get them finished as soon as possible. Trouble is my MP is 10.21 for a 4.30 finish.

So I definately don't have a strategy. I think I'll try to keep my pace slow for the first 5 miles and then see how I feel in 5 mile blocks. If its comfortable slow I might keep it like that i just need enough energy to climb over this ' wall' that I've heard about. (Still think of run fat boy run when it comes to the wall. ) Fab film by the way everyone should watch it!!

So Stig I suppose I'll be able to answer that question after Ive built my mileage up cos 15 is my longest so far in 2hrs 22. ( not the target 11.50 min mile rate though) so perhaps I'll need to take some climbing gear with me to Brighton! image
  • Flowery Fay don't worry no hills.

I grew up near Brighton and we would sometimes go and see the ships in Shoreham so know that bit well. Basically from mile 20 to 24 (ie the wall) it is as boring and grim as you could ever imagine. All the rest of the run is either in town or beautiful countryside. Nobody wants to go and watch there so it a bit of a wasteland. You do however run back on the seafront and it is very very flat. I thought it might be bad from my knowledge of it, but it was even joked about at the seminar. Because of that they are makiing efforts to attract people with the stalls and things for kids to do so there should be some cheering smiley people.

I think on youtube there is a speeded up footage of the 2011 route which is almost identical. Its quite fun to watch as it was filmed on race day so gives you a feel for the crowds. But you will get the idea when you see it. All this from someone who has never run a marathon, never mind the Brighton one

• just watched the youtube speed footage, now very nervous - 26.2 miles looks a very long way! image
  • Just had a look through the race day details and theres no mention on i pods not being allowed this year that I can see....

Sorry to open that can of worms....well done on all the long runs thats happening..got mine tomorrow

• Dr Who - I've seen it somewhere that you can't use them. In the small print somewhere
  • Treadmill for me today me thinks!! just took dog out and its way to icy and snowy for my liking to risk injury running outside today...image ...

I pods well ive used them last 2 marathons in one ear only..lots of people i saw did the same..you can still hear the crowds but on the quiet areas i found it spurs me on to listen to a bit of music..

I think  its for insurance purposes if you get knocked over by an ambulance etc and you had your i pod on and didnt hear it coming you cant claim for injury ????

• Dr Who, Sorry, I just checked the email and it says:

Can I use my iPod or similar device on race day?
    No, we do not advocate the use of headphones on the day, due to health and safety, plus there are plenty of entertainment sites and crowds to cheer you on. In addition, wearing anything that isolates you from the sounds of the day would mean that you would miss out on the marathon atmosphere.

Having said that, I don't think they are going to try and strictly enforce it and the ipod in one ear is rarely a problem. However, I am a strong advocate of the "don't put both ear pieces in!" Doesn't matter what you say, there are things you can miss when  you can't hear what's going on around you. Most of the time, not a problem, but there are odd occasions when it can have a significant impact on one or more other competitors. For instance, I've only ever been kicked / elbowed as I went past people in races by people who were wearing ipods. So yes, I am biased!  Having said that, whatever you decide, enjoy the day, respect other runners and I'm sure it'll be fine! image

Waves to all imageimageimage

p.s. No offence is meant by the above. It's a personal opinion and I do respect the fact that others feel very differently!!

• Flowery Fay: yes it is a shame about the magazine, I always keep looking at them in the days before the event to make sure I have learnt everything that is useful come the race, sort of helps me build up anticipation and excitement, doing this on-line or with print offs is going to seem different.

As for the music when running debate, this makes no sense to me at all. I listen to the gym stereo when on the treadmill, but that is back ground music, when outside I like my peace as I find running is a time to clear my head and then there is the safety concerns. Nah, music is not for me and never understand why other people want to either.

17 & 1/2 miles done first thing this morning in 2:23:45, so just under my target 8:15 m/m pace. Felt good today and am now more confident about going longer when the time comes. Was dark when I left home, but after a few miles the sun came up for a crisp sunny dawn.

• On my easy slow runs I like my i-pod on so I can sing along. Must look like a nutter but I reckon if I can sing every other verse then I'm at a nice slow pace.
    I also like my music on to completely empty my mind. I spend all day thinking and with phone ringing while mobile going off. I find with my dubious music on I forget all that work rubbish, which incidentally will be all gone in less than 3weeks as the business sale should have gone through by then, and I can just run. So music on for me.
    Looking forward to my long run early doors tomorrow with dubious anticipation. It doesn't want to be as cold as it was today, at -10 I would probably back out of that!!!

The info sheet being emailed is a cop out. Budget obviously up the spout, sponsor no doubt backed out. And I would imagine the existing advertisers of the booklet will now want a reduction too as only half the booklets are going to be printed out. FAIL

Been invited to a 50th party tonight of one of my trade customers. It's in THE roughest pub in hemel, body armour is ready. If I survive catch you all tomorrow.
  • i wear an iPod shuffle when training but never for a race
  • Great 14mile run for me today. V.Cold at -11c went with st albans striders and that helped me get up early to go. Felt really good all the way nice easy pace run. Out on the rd for over 2hours first time for a while.

Can enjoy a beer or Two tonight!!!

Happy running everyone, if that b today or tomorrow.

• Great 6 mile run for me today just to feel how the calf was. All OK, fingers crossed. Fantastic sunshine on crisp white snow. Out over the fields in Harpenden. Didn't set out until mid-day so it had warmed up a bit from -10c. A few icy patches on roads but otherwise bliss.
    Stephen E2- you can't be very far from me if you are out with the St. Albans striders. Enjoy your well deserved pint! Will you be taking part in the Gade Valley training runs?
    Danny H are you in the area too?
    Solent - Great pace over 17.5miles!

I'm strictly a no music runner, like to feel truly outside although I do see the benefits it can bring. I certainly enjoyed hearing it on the last Brighton Marathon although house/trance wouldn't have been my music of choice!
    Will be setting out for another 6 tomorrow before tackling a long run midweek
  • fortysomething, yes I will be doing GVH training runs. Ant LSR that I can do with pacers, or groups I always find easier. Was running around st albans, bricket wood, London colney ect

• I really enjoyed the GVH's training runs. Lovely route, friendly runners and delicious cakes!
    I enjoy running with similar paced runners, if they are too fast I just hang back and let them go, otherwise I feel too pressurised and peeed off because I'm not as fast/fit young/thin etc. I've got all the excuses!!!
  • Bad times - 30k race tomorrow is cancelled, thats a real shame given the number of carbs I have troffed today, nothing for it but a lonely 20 miles on my own in the morning, dont want to completely waste a days leave, but on the bright side can have a glass of wine tonight.
  • A 15 miler done on the treadmill..my son helped carry it in and i watched man utd/liverpool match followed by a bit of open season 2.. must say it certainly felt a bit quicker than last week just staring out of the garage into snow...

Still a 13.1 miler next weekend with a medal thrown in for good measure image..

I listen to my i pod in 1 ear so i can hear traffic etc and i sometimes forget its playing when i start thinking about what ive got planned , looking at the surroundings and putting the world to rights...but i feel its like a little safety blanket for when i need to dig that little bit deeper...

Safe running to all image

• Well done on everyones training.

Not much to say here, a little under the weather ( sniffs, headaches, tired etc ) etc so have modified training this week to do some smaller slower runs. Will still do over 40 miles so not too bad considering. I think its that time of year/training when it all gets difficult = bad weather, feeling tired, still plenty of weeks lift, motivation drops, a few aches and pains etc.   However it will not be long now before we are towing the line... so dig in if you can !!

Enjoy your weekend folks

• In the same boat as Karen, race cancelled. But - on the upside, looks like a number of people who are heading for marathons will be out and aiming to end up at the same cafe for coffee & cake. Could be a worse way to spend a Sunday.
  • Well I decided to get up at the same time and run anyway. Now given that I was planning on racing today, was well fuelled, hydrated and rested thought I would go for it.

I miscalculated the distance a bit and did 22 miles, possibly a bit more than I wanted but had the right fuel strategy, found some nice energy bars and had bought a nice comfy belt that holds 2 small water bottles and sits in the small of my back, why not I thought?

Did my 22 in 3.09 which should put me well inside 4 hrs on the day and I also have lots of time to do a couple more runs of that distance so feeling very pleased today. Have decided thats its not too fast for me - I can still come home, do the hoovering and cook dinner.

AGF i do agree that this time of year it gets hard, I am so fed up with the cold, my stepdaughter is also running and really really struggling with the distances for all the reasons you give, because of your post I was able to assure her that she is not alone.

Supposed to get a bit milder next week up to about 3-4 degress, positively tropical, we will all be out in our shorts at this rate!

• Well due to lack of sleep I missed my LSR today. Went back to bed for a nap instead. Now planned for tomorrow instead. I figure trying to do it when already knackered is pointless although am now slightly jealous of how yours went Karen. Sounds like a good run.
  • Hello all,

Ran the Bramley 20 miles this morning in 2 hours 51 minutes, very happy with this. Looking forward to Brighton half next weekend now.
    Look after yourselves.
    charlotte
  • Karen/Charlotte, Congratuations in two very good long runs. your both nailed on for sub 4 with that training under the belt !!!image

Stig, I think you made the wise choice there. I head one top runner say that rest is one part training that some people ignore. Sounds like you listened correctly today and your runn will be better for it tomorrow. 

A 6 mile bimble today took me to 45 miles for the week. Head still full of cold......but I am sure the roast dinner I am about to cook will help kock it out of me image

• Hello everyone - My husband and I will be coming down from Glasgow for this and are hoping to run it together.  This will be the first marathon we've run together since he ran 'roun Edinburgh with me (my first marathon) in 2007 - I have run 6 since then and favour a walk/run strategy after the first half (this brings me in under 4 hours, and I reckon that, for me, it is quicker than keeping running). 

Bob usually runs around the 3:30 mark, but has been fraught with injury of late and so is planning to run 'round with me.  He doesn't like the idea of taking walking breaks and so I decided to make my challenge for Brighton to run the whole way in under 4 hours.

I just wanted to thank "DannyH" for his timing suggestion - makes it seem much more manageable knowing that I can slow down to 10'45" for the last mile.

• Blimey that was tough going...but 15.45 miles done! image Really struggled over the last mile. I've lost my iPod and really starting to miss it now, just for the mental boost when I start to fade! WIll have to see if Mr Valentine has taken the hint and I will have a new one on Wednesday image

Karen and Charlotte - hope you are really pleased with your efforts today?! Great times both of you! image

Stig - good luck with your LSR tomorrow.

Week 8 of my plan now complete. Me thinks I have earned a chorley cake and a cup of tea to celebrate! image
  • Plus one on congratulating karen and charlotte. Well set for good marathon times.

Also like dannys suggestion.

swam a mile this morning.

My sprints were much improved due to stronger legs and lungs so definitely getting fitter.

Crossing fingers for injury free windsor half. Not doing any excercise until then.

• Also might do gvh runs for motivation
  • Nice going Karen! image and that's a really good time, Charlotte image

Flowery Fay, it's getting through the tough miles that mean you'll be prepared mentally for the marathon. Well done on getting to the end - I think cake is certainly appropriate!

welcome to the thread, trotting Frog. You'll find a number of people in that sort of time bracket in here. I'm not, I think 10:45 fearsomely quick! But that's OK - my time will just make all of yours look better. image

I did 20 in 3:59, so very pleased with that. Quite tired now though. image