Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• AGF - thanks for that. Was starting to feel bad for missing it today.
    I just realised I'm a week ahead in my training plan and would have finished a week too soon. Better repeat this week I guess DOH !
  • I quite like running in the cold I tend to feel less fatigue than in the humidity and heat. However, I draw the line at the temperatures of the last week. My face was so cold on Tuesday I couldn't speak properly - not everyone minded!!! And I have a burning sensation of my thighs from this morning, still!

40something yes I am a Croxley Green boy and work in Hemel. The more I hear about these GVH runs the better they sound, I might give them a go, but the 9.30 starts will give me earache from Mrs H!!!

My watch and ipod ran out of juice today, watch after 2miles. That is what you call preparation. Anyway I ran what I thought was a relaxed slow pace for 18miles and refreshingly I still hit 9.10 pace. I'm getting all uptight again about 15th April. I keep revising my expectations, I need to stop, that's what I did last year and I ended up disappointed, I need to stick with that 3:59 target. I've just been looking at my training efforts from last year and quite frankly its lucky I got round!!! I am soooo far ahead of where I was last year.
  • What is a gvh run? Soory, looks like I missed something.

A hilly 18 for me in 3 hours today, not sure where I'll find the extra 8 miles from on the day! Waves to everyone!
  • GVH is a secret code. And if you don't know its because its a secret!!!

GVH = Gade valley Harriers. Club in Hemel Hempstead do 3 marathon training runs of increasing length with marshals, drink stations etc. And by all accounts a cake at the end
  • Wow everyone the LSRs seem to be going really well for everyone there are some excellent times being recorded!!

I on the other hand bottled it yesterday and did my LSR (15 miler) on the treadmill it was full but stuck a film on and that helped. Trouble is my plan says my LSRrs should be in 11.50 and I tried really hard to be that slow but discovered I can walk at that speed anyway managed 16.5 in 2hrs 48 which I was sort of pleased with especially since the last 6 were done at 9.30 miles.
    Is it really really important not to do MP on the training LSRs? or does it not matter? I don't want to burn out too soon, but I find i jar my back more when I go slower than is comfortable!

Kids are off this week so I'm gonna struggle to get much done, it's a bit too unlit round here to run at night so the treadmill may continue to be pounded.

Well done everyone I find you all inspiring!
  • Some brilliant LSRs over the weekend, Karen, Helen, Charlotte, Yvonne, Fay, DannyH, Huffapuff, Sarah, SolentR, Stephen E. You should all be feeling pleased with those runs. And you others who got them in before the weekend!

Sarah I'm a strong believer that you shouldn't run slower than you can run comfortably. You'll generally know if your LSRs are too quick, because you'll spend most of the next week recovering and feel jaded on all your other runs(!) Plus, finishing at MP is no bad thing. What you want to avoid, is starting at MP and then slowing down. So sounds like you are on a good path.

AGF Another good solid week, despite the cold.

Stig Sounds like another wise choice. image

Welcome to Trotting Frog sounds like you have a lot of experience on the marathon front! We'll be happy to learn from your experiences! image

No running for me today, off visiting family. Nearly went for a run when I got back a little while ago, but decided that that would be daft!

Waves to all imageimageimage
  • Morning all

well reading through some great runs  achieved  over the weekend with times that put me to shame image and make me think that it’s time to pack it inimage as your all making me feel like an old manimage

An especially well done to Sarah and Yvonne for doing there long runs on the treadmill now that take some commitment

I only have 5 to do today an those will be on the treadmill in front of the television

• well I am officially a wimp, i went out at 6am Saturday to do my LSR of 18 miles, and after 2 miles my hands were so cold they hurt, and that is with 2 pairs of gloves, so I wimped out and went home. At least my new treadmill turned up yesterday so managed 7.5 miles in an hour this morning, this week is going to be a good week.

well done everyone on your successful long runs, take care everyone

• FayaFaya ✭✭✭

Hi everyone! Seriously impressed with everyones LSRs, I feel so slow compared to everyone else!

I managed a 15 mile run in 3 hours 34 mins on Sunday. Thankfully the snow and ice had gone from around here. I started my pacer at 8.30 per K (I haven't played around with the watch to set the pace in miles yet >_<) and I managed to keep that pace for about half the distance. Then I ran for a mile and walked for 0.1 and repeated until the end. Finished the run much happier then my previous long runs, so I'm happy about that. Next weekend I'm going to try the run 1 mile, walk 0.1 for the entire time, see how I fair with that. My left ankle isn't happy today though, I had some frozen sweetcorn on it for a bit last night and I'm going to do that again tonight. I'll see how it feels tomorrow before I decide to go out for another run.

• 8 mile long tempo in 1:10 for me yesterday, I do my long runs on Thursdays as I'm always off work then. Apart from this week as it's half term. Running the Windsor paced half this Saturday. Got to try to fit in 3 x 1600m and a 10m tempo before then though.

The GVH sound good may join you all for the 20m. Seem be quite a few of us from the Watford area.

• 6 mile tempo run this am. Hit a nice pace and managed to hold it together for most of the way!

Toby, there is never any shame in being a runner! Your commitment puts most of the population to shame!!! Likewise Faya, remember, people post times for all sorts of reasons, sometimes / mostly to just encourage ourselves image and once it's posted, it's posted(!) 15 miles in 3:34 sounds like a good return and puts you well on track to enjoy Brighton!!!

Waves to all, including the "definitely non-wimp but finally showing he's human like the rest of us" Spen image

imageimageimage

p.s. Faya, hope the ankle is resolved quickly!

• According to my plan I should do a half marathon race on Sunday (19th) however I didn't notice this until today! image But the good news is I have found one fairly close to home (well 40miles away) in Sleaford. I'm so pleased as I don't think I could keep to a race pace on my own.

I had lost a little bit of confidence after my 15M LSR yesterday but now feeling very upbeat! image It will be great to run with other people as it as been a fairly lonely effort so far, well apart from the great support of from lot! ! imageimage

Keep up the great running everyone! image
  • Well failed for a second week to do a LSR.

Still to soon after the birth of the baby I think as the mrs didn't want me to go out for too long. Still feeling it bless her. All my others runs done though. May try and squeeze in some extra miles this week image

• Never mind Stig you've got a really good excuse, its not like you just thought your hands were too cold and turned round and came home.

Lots of aches and pains appearing on here now. My knees are sore from yesterday. The Mighty 'Orns are going to slow me down this week as we play Leicester Tuesday night, I normally run up and down the local hill on a Tuesday. I was going to swap it to tonight but I'm not sure my knees will appreciate this.

But I need to take advantage of the fact Mrs H has chipped off to the in-laws for half term and I run without the "pre-run tutts"!!!
  • STIG - dont worry, I hope the family are all doing well, they are far more important than running, you could easily miss two weeks with illness and still make the marathon ok, and you are still getting the other runs in, take care.

juggler - well done on your run today, and the kind, well new week now, just really gutted as lost 100% in Febulous, but its only abit of fun.

Sarah - just enjoy your training, I dont always stick to pace as some days it is nice to go abit faster, and others abit slower, just go with the flow and have fun.

Toby3 - hope the new car is ok have you got it yet.

Hi everyone else keep up the good work

• Stig- Congratulations on your new arrival. Missed saying it before.
    Toby- Don't do yourself down, you are a great runner!
    Faya Hope your ankle holds up, perhaps a longer rest period between runs will help?
    Re timing - I haven't even started recording how long my runs are taking me, simply because I am recovering - very slowly from injury and didn't want to put any pressure on myself too soon. I will opt out if my leg begins to get painful again because I would rather be able to carry on running shorter distances than train for this marathon, ignoring all the warning signs and be out for months, like last year.
    We all run our own race and what I like about this forum is that there is such a mixture of experience and ability. As a slow runner it is great to see some of the times that can be achieved, plenty of room for improvement and something keep aiming for.
    Another 6 miles for me yesterday to test the leg and bootcamp today. Out for my long run on Wednesday.
    Happy Running All!
  • Some great long runs I see.

I managed a bit of a catchup after a poor week due to the weather.  Managed a 11 mile MP run on sat and 19.5 yesterday. 

Was a bit tired on the LSR but found each time I was tempted to stop a quick burst of speed seemed to give me more energy to carry on.  I find it difficult to run my LSR at the right pace as I find running slower more tiring, if that makes sense!  I think if I run slower I tend to slap along which probably takes it out of the legs even more.   Anyone else find this?

• Thank you for the warm welcome Juggler234 -  just because I have experience with marathons doesn't make them any less daunting! image

As I said, my challenge this time is to try to run all the way and still make it under the 4 hours (have done that once before - my first marathon, Edinburgh 2007, but all others have been with walk breaks - I find that this actually increases my average pace per mile in the later stages)- DannyH's plan is one of the most sensible ones I have seen (much more realistic than a negative split).

Looking forward to Brighton as I hear good things about it.

• Hi Spen the car seems ok at the moment i picked it up last Thursday

• Spen: I was out Saturday morning first thing too. Was chilly, but once the sun got up was lovely and almost perfect running conditions, but saying that I doubt it was as cold here on the South coast compared to where you are. Besides, now you have the treadmill there can be no excuses in the futureimage.

Stig: still a while until race day, so doubt a few missed runs now will make that much difference to the big day.

Jolyon Bland: you may find that running slower does use more energy if you have poor technique, faster running naturally makes you run more efficient in the pursuit of speed. It does make me wonder what your core is like though as I find poor running style personally is not speed related but more a strength issue. You could do some do core work or weights to help with this.  Also running the 19 & 1/2 long run the day after 11 @ MP might have an effect on your posture due to fatigue effecting running efficiency. Good on you though for smashing out two sessions that hard on successive days, I would not want to do sessions like that back to backimage.

• SR - I went out in the car about 3 hours after my run and it recorded -12c, so really cold. Like you say now i have the treadmill there will be no more lame excuses and a bit of cold wont stop me running.

Toby3 - glad the car is ok.

Jolyon - good hard running over the weekend.

DannyH - enjoy your peace and quiet at home, I bet you miss the pre run tutts though, and what about valentines day tomorrow. Hope your knees are ok for the hill session tonight, I hope you dont get cold hands.

take care everyone

• Flowery Fay what plan are you following it sounds like mine with your 15 miler at the weekend and a half marathon this coming one im doing brighton half image are you down to do a 30 min steady run today and a 40 min with 6x2 mins tough /easy tomorrow...?? or similar?

Off to the gym today to do my 30 min run i know i have a treadmill but its so my daughter can use the gym too...

Toby your never too old /young/fit or unfit to run its all in the enjoyment of it ...keep your chin up..

• Spen - I've got some real treats lined up for Valentines Day (for myself). A day of general rubbish at work, then a bag of chips and the evening at the football followed by 3 pints of Guinness and a bag crisps. I'm all about romance and good nutrition this week.
  • Spen: minus 12image,  it was probably minus 1 or 2 here until the sun came up.
  • Hi everyone, it's practically sub tropical now with the temp today reaching +4. Unfortunately/happily, I have taken the kids to Alton towers for a couple of days so will have to cram the training in somehow when I get back.

Danny you sound just like my hubby, there's definately no pining being done from his end and it sounds like his valentines evening will pretty much mirror yours. Also what is this very sensible plan you're following do share!

Congrats to Stig, I'm surprised you have the energy to run at all with a new baby in the house.
    Also congrats to spen I wish you and your treadmill many happy miles together!

Joylson, I totally get where you're coming from. Now my comfortable pace ranges from 9 - 10.30 min miles so not terribly fast and not ever so slow. I completely get the comment about core though. After 2 kids my core was pretty shot and I found distances of above 8 miles really hurt m back. Now after a couple of good sports therapy sessions and some dedicatd core work I haven't suffered for 4 months despite ramping up the miles. It's definately worth doing even if you don't know of a problem.

Happy running allimage
  • Thanks to all for the messages, I was feeling a little crap about missing a couple of LSR's but feel better now.

They probably wouldn't have been great quality anyway.

Main thing is the family are well, even if all are a little sleep deprived.image

• Sarah its not a sensible training plan I'm following the same exhausting rubbish plans as the rest of you. Its a very realistic plan for the day that basically allows for near capitulation and complete energy failure. It involves running really quickly for 18 miles then increasingly slowly for the rest, and any improvement on that will be a bonus!
  • Yvonne - I am doing the RW Garmin-ready sub-4 training plan. My mid-week plan is slightly different to yours but it looks like we sync for the LSR. I don't expect to do sub-4 by the way !

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-garmin-ready-marathon-schedule-sub-400/2765.html

I switched to this plan a couple of weeks ago as I was struggling to know what pace to do my training. With this plan you enter recent race times and it gives you pace times for Slow, Steady, LSR etc. I've found it invaluable, as up until this point all my runs where the same pace. I must admit I can't do my LSR as slow as the plan as it affects my form but I do try to stick it for the other runs.

Its a rest day for me today with 3 x 1M Fast (8.05 - 8.20 / mile) with .25M Recovery to look forward to tomorrow - definitely one for the treadmill! image The hardest part will be converting this to kilometres !! image
  • 15 miles done today in just over 2 hours. A bit milder but it's still quite slippery out there!

Brighton Half on Sunday. Sub 1:30 is the target, which would be a 5 min improvement on last year's debut. Hopefully I can do it and then celebrate with a few beers whilst watching the super SEAGULLS take on the mighty Reds...a perfect Sunday!
  • Flowery Fay im doing the marathon training plan for experienced runners who live in the real world imageby Sam Murphy...i followed it for my first brighton marathon in 2010 and it got me round without hitting that dreaded wall and i felt good... last year i changed plans and lets just say i felt like pants so its back to Sam..

My aim for the brighton half this sunday is sub 2 hours..even by 1 second ill be a happy bunny...my fastest half was in october 2:02 and thats cos toby 3 was a tonic on that day and was very encouraging but the heat got to me that day..