It's possibly quite depressing when :-)

Last night, jogging merrily on the dreadmill, keeping out of the cold, decided to finish with a flourish and then as the rollers stopped I looked at the display and it hit me I'd just done a "Brisk 200m"  in what was my usual half-mara speed two years ago pre-injury....aaaaargh! It's a long road back and caused a combination of depression, mirth, disbelief as the PE felt quite high. Good indicator of either the work ahead or the shape of things to come! Anyone else had one of those moments? How did you deal with it?

Comments

• I am currently marathon training and my marathon pace is quicker by a minute a mile than it was in 2007  but slower by half a minute a mile than my half marathon pace in 2009 so I have a similar dilemma.

I guess I deal with it by knowing that a marathon PB, if I manage it, is not to be sniffed at even if it means I don't get one at half mara distance this year.

You'll get there Straycelt, as KK says, keep plugging on.

• Yep, 6 months sedentary post VLM2010 then 13 months out after Athens, Oct 2010. Would be lucky to pace 10mm in a half just now so keep plugging away to get back to 8mm KK. Still, got until 22nd Aprilimage
  • Shit happens image  There's no point comparing where you are now to where you were at your peak. Keep it real.
  • Think positive: assume the treadmill is incorrectly calibrated.....
  • Little Ninja, two years ago certainly wasn't my peakimage Kicked-it...that must apply to all sevenimage I'll let you know how I get on at Windsor. Sub 2 there should see me sub 3.40 at London as long as my knee holds out
  • Sadly my 'peak' was in 1992 - I've never run a marathon as fast since then and it's not likely I'll ever do it again. On a positive note I've not been able to run for 18mths due to illness and I've had my 50th birthday so decided that all past pb's are null and void and I'm starting again - so every new distance I get to is another pb and I totally ignore the fact that I'm at least 4mm slower!
  • Sunluvva wrote (see)
    Sadly my 'peak' was in 1992 - I've never run a marathon as fast since then and it's not likely I'll ever do it again. On a positive note I've not been able to run for 18mths due to illness and I've had my 50th birthday so decided that all past pb's are null and void and I'm starting again - so every new distance I get to is another pb and I totally ignore the fact that I'm at least 4mm slower!
    Great attitude Sunluvva. I may well "start again" at 50 too.