Options

Motion control shoes for faster runner?

My running was advancing fairly well, but I've been suffering left leg problems which have been traced by my physio to left glut and weak obliques.

I recently bought some Asics Sky Speed 2 shoes. I love the weight and comfort, but these offer no support for my feet and cause lots of pain.
My older shoes were Asics Nimbus 9. These give better support, but still not enough.

Having tried lots on and check the tracking of my knee, the best were Brooks beast. But these seem to be designed more for the beginner or heavier runner.

I'm light and want a lightweight shoe for faster runs.
Are there any lighter shoes that offer similar motion control to the brooks beast and other "beginner" models?

If it helps I overpronate, sometimes knocking knees and I have a morton's foot.

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately the answer is no. Motion control shoes are inherently heavier than shoes without support. Have you considered changing your gait to resolve your problems rather than using shoes to do it?
  • Options
    I think I really need some different shoes to help, the ones I have are just not compatible and causing pain.

Taking the time/effort to change my gait would be great, but I don't have the time to put into it, running is not my main sport.

Any ideas if Mizuno Wave Nirvana shoes might be a good shoe to get?
  • Options
    I also overpronate and can recommend both the Mizuno Wave Elixir and Brooks ST5 (currently using ST5s).

Both of these are performance stability shoes - I alternate these for speed sessions/races with a more cushioned shoe (Brooks Adrenaline) for long and easy runs to mitigate the extra stress on the foot.

Have used both of these for half and full marathon distances.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look into the Elixir model, they look good weight wise, could be type I'm after.
  • Options
    I'm a heavy bugger and am therefore "supposed" to wear something like a brooks beast but found it was like running with bricks on your feet. I went for a brooks adrenaline -fantastic shoe and on my 12th pair. They give me enough support and aren't to heavy. The other advantage is that brooks only do minor tweaks to them each year unlike some other manufacturers who deem to go for a complete revamp.