Talkback: ASICS Target 26.2 Team: Craig

Comments

• Hi Craig, glad you got a hit of endorphins from  your outdoor runimage. I cannot tell you HOW SICK I am of this weather. Went to Crystal Palace today to check out conditions for my workshop on Sunday and it's pretty terrible - still v icy and snow covered so will just have to make the best of it. I guess it helps to foster tenacity, if nothing else! So you had/have 6m today and then the long run Sunday. I can't imagine you'll have any intention of doing that on the dreadmill. Hope you can find somewhere safe and accessible to do it.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Ruth: thanks for the loading advice, got it in my diary and on my desk thing... Gonna be interesting to eat that many carbs over three days.

Sam: been to the gym again. Had issues getting up this morning, Thomas was up all night and bearly slept at all. Don't think I've been this tired in a long while... Can hardly talk... Oh well, got my six in on the dread (easier to get more kip). Hoping he sleeps tonight and I get rested tomorrow.
  • Ruth - a query please re the protein in your carb loading diet which i tried (successfully) recently - you mention above that you don't need protein on race day cos you have plenty from the previous days intake; if the previous 2 days have been on your carb loading diet which are the foods in those 2 days that provide the protein you need so you can skip this on the morning of the race ?? need to know so i don't skip these, thanks.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Found out why tired when woke up this morning... Let's leave that one between me and the smallest room in the house... :-/
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Thanks oscarr... This isn't good...
  • Oh no - get well soon BoD - make you you stay hydrated if you can. image

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Thanks SB image

Trying ultimate get stuff in, but struggling... Bit of a shocker to be honest, wasnt expecting something like this to get in the way. Not much I can do really except drink and hope.
  • Oh dear oh dear... another of the team succumbs to illness!image I really feel for you BoD. Goes without saying that if you're feeling this bad then the long run ain't happening this weekend. The priority is to just get better. Plenty of fluids and rest. Wishing you better...
  • Get some rest and get well soon Craig.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Hoping it's a 24 hour thing. Can't eat, only had a few slices of toast. Trying to drink, but making me queasy. Looking after Thomas today too, so he's not getting me at my best and not good company for him, CBeebies childcare... Feel a bit guilty... image
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys BTW!
  • Don't feel guilty - it's only one day.  As long as the tv doesn't babysit every day you're doing the right thing!  I'm being a rubbish wife if it makes you feel any better - sat at home all cosy LOL.

Take it easy - hope you're right as rain very, very soon  - best to get these things out of the way now not in March or April image

• It may well be a short-lived bug, BoD... think there's some going round. One of our group on this morning's session suddenly went into violent vomitting. She was really embarassed and said it just came out of nowhere (the things people will do to get out of a threshold session..image)

Anyway, you're probably going to feel a bit wiped out by tomorrow, so play it by ear.
    I'm posting next week's training - we're HALF WAY! Week 8 image but we can discuss how to rearrange if you end up being taken down by the dreaded bug for longer....

This is pretty true to the sub 4.30 schedule - I've switched the 200m reps to a time-based session as Craig doesn't have track access and it's easier to do these on time. (I like this session by the way - it always seems to go really quick). And I've sneaked an extra mile in on Thursday's run! The long run on Sunday, I've suggested he does on a fairly level, even surface with a slight pick-up to race pace over the last three miles. Enjoy! I'll be in Crystal Palace park tomorrow, running a workshop as best I can in the ice and snowimage Hope I manage to stay on my feet!

Week Eight w/c 13/2/12 (33M)
    Mon Rest
    Tue 5M of 1M jog plus 4 x acceleration strides, then 12 x 1 minute fast (7.10ish pace) with 1 min jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed 7M easy
    Thu1M jog, then 3M brisk, 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat Rest
    Sun 16M on road (or fairly even surface). Try to work up to MP over last 3 miles.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Been on facebook and it appears that one of my colleagues in a different office was sick when visiting a prison yesterday.... Deffo something going about.

Thank fake the support guys. Feeling really bad and hope you don't think I'm a Larry Let Down...not had to miss any long runs thus far either....

Good luck with the rest of your weekends guys, stay upright and don't get a stomach bug! I'm off to bed.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    I asked Mrs Duke if she would look after Thomas as I went out for my run this morning... This was after being up all night with 'issues' and having what sleep I could got on the sofa.... Needless to say, that joke didn't go down very well... image She did make me a cup of hot chocolate though. Proper comfort, but might regret it in a bit.

By the way, I really don't like the auto-correct on my phone, says fake on the post above and that should be 'thanks for'... Big difference..... Grrrrrrrrr
  • BoDuke,  I really hope you feel great again in the next few days. Eat as you feel and if you don't feel like eating don't eat and sip on water or if been very bad a re-hydartion solution. One of my kids have been sick since Wednesday and 2 days ago moved from bed to sofa and cbeebies has been the saving grace!

oscarr wrote (see)
    Ruth - a query please re the protein in your carb loading diet which i tried (successfully) recently - you mention above that you don't need protein on race day cos you have plenty from the previous days intake; if the previous 2 days have been on your carb loading diet which are the foods in those 2 days that provide the protein you need so you can skip this on the morning of the race ?? need to know so i don't skip these, thanks.
    You have plenty of stores of protein and the carb loading diet which usually contains bread, pasta etc &  dairy products (yoghurts, milk, rice pudding...) all actually have protein in them (although bread and pasta contains very small amounts compared to meat or dairy they still have some)  so your carb loading diet is not as low in protein as you may think. After race, protein is good! Let me know if you still have any questions. Are you pleased with how your  training is going so far?
  • RUTH  MCKEAN wrote (see)
    You have plenty of stores of protein and the carb loading diet which usually contains bread, pasta etc &  dairy products (yoghurts, milk, rice pudding...) all actually have protein in them (although bread and pasta contains very small amounts compared to meat or dairy they still have some)  so your carb loading diet is not as low in protein as you may think. After race, protein is good! Let me know if you still have any questions. Are you pleased with how your  training is going so far?
    Ruth - thanks, very clear.  Yes, i'm very pleased with the training thus far and seem to be enjoying taking it all with a good deal more patience and caution this time and i feel stronger and bit more confident as a result so it's working so far (i'm 4 weeks into my 16 week schedule as my marathon is 3 weeks after Paris).  Thanks again for the valuable nutrition advice and info which i am benefitting from greatly - no more questions as yet!
  • Rough as a dog here with man flu and streaming cold so getting a lift to work not run since weds evening, had a good few months so just got to be patient now and I stll have 14 weeks next Sunday. Amazing how the strength goes when you get wiped out with something like this, my oh has it too.
    Get well soon Craig.
  • BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭
    Ok, after a night on the sofa (so OH could get some kip) feeling a bit better. Just a bit, occasional cramp and dyscomfort but nothing else. Legs ache and very tired. Also very, very dehydrated. Looking quite gaunt, lips cracked and all that. Gonna take a day off work to recover. Was meant to have training for two days, so not a major issue.

Get well soon mcs. Good point, got to be patient. Worse than the actual illness is that sense of being knocked off course...

Ruth: my mission for today is to get rehydrated. Feeling very hungry at the moment. Toast and marmite and see how I go from there. I've got CBeebies theme tunes running round my head and they are most likely to be there for ages... 'Welcome the band, Zingzillas...'

Sam: hope your session went well yesterday. Was it still icy? I've not been out the door since Friday so totally disconnected with the world at the moment. Going to reassess how I feel this afternoon. If I'm able, I'll get out of the house, might help.

SB: thanks mate! I just made the comment to Rachel that 'Charlie and Lola is really nice, you ever properly watched it?' retort was: 'you really are ill aren't you...'

Oscarr: the carb loading sounds good, got it planned in my diary and will do three day menu at the end of the month
  • Hi Craig, really glad you're feeling a bit better and good decision to take the day off. You've got 7 weeks training in the bag, remember, and this is the first long run you've missed so don't worry too much. Keep glugging down the fluids and resting and you'll be back on track soon.

A hot bath and a bit of gentle stretching can feel quite nice after you've been cooped up for a couple of days I always find.image

• Get well soon mcs! Take it easy Craig! Good to see you're in touch with your inner-beebie image
  • Hello all

Craig - so sorry to hear you are poorly, take it easy, hope you feel better today.

mcs - see you have manflu - take care too!

I only managed two 4 mile runs last week and no LSR as I have been away for the weekend. I have a bit of a cold but did 6 slow miles this morning and it was okay!

• Bo and mcs - get well soon guys - no apology for repeating the good advice from others, but do get the bug out of your system fully before doing any hard running so it dosen't give you a bigger problem later and the rest will help your muscles recover as well
  • Bo had to watch a few episodes of Tracey Beaker with my youngest she is ten nearly 11 she watches everyone on the iplayer if she misses them. Used to be a great Fireman Sam fan but I see its been updated now........."everybody knows his bright red van........" lost it here streaming with cold in my lovely posh new office. 

Oscarr you are right on the muscle thing my right hammy is enjoying the rest it is always aching.......usually when training is happening. Thinks a day or two off then maybe get the bike out and a swim before I get the trainers on properly again. Feel like a wet lettuce.   Serves me right for boasting about wellman vitamins!!image

Have a better week Craig!!

• mcs - know what you mean about boasting about something and it coming back and biting you !! just smile and enjoy the irony.... get well soon.  For your hammy - have you tried a foam roller to stretch it and get rid of any knots in it ?  About £20 in shops and used in all gyms. May be worth a try.
  • Bo - just read back this thread and meant to mention that you need to try the carb loading diet a couple of times well before Paris so you can make you own tweaks and get your stomach used to it and know if anything upsets you.  I know it's prob not something you want to think about right now with your tummy upset but keep it for future reference if you want.
  • Hope you feel better soon Craig - sounds nasty. 

and I just spent the last hour catching up with the last 2 weeks of chat on here after a 2 week holiday...spent a week skiing which I think has made my legs a bit stronger...though maybe all in my head but 12 miler yesterday felt surprisingly ok.  Sore left ankle today though so I'm currently sat with feet up covered in a bag of frozen peas...hoping it's ok.

Oh and I had a sports massage last week for the first time which was...interesting.  The physio also recommended a roller to stretch muscles so may give it a go - saw someone earlier mention them.

Sam - re yoga - I have a yoga DVD on the way from amazon so will give it a go later this week...haven't done yoga since Uni (which was 12 yrs ago).

Anyway...get well soon Craig, and you too mcs.

• Hope you're on the mend Craig - and you too mcs. I guess at least illness has more of a limited timespan than do injuries...

Good work on the yoga DVD, Louisa - remember to start conservatively though! Nothing too full-on if it's been a while since you did it.

• Been on the sofa a few times too BD when the OH is ill - at least you both have a chance to get some kip. Hope you are on the mend now and the rest does you good.