Brighton Marathon 2012

Comments

• GiantElf, that sounds like your training is going well! Good luck to you and Yvonne for your PB attack at Brighton! I should be there as well, number 177 (registered early!)

Not  sure I'll be up for a PB this year. totally amazed myself last year with a PB, but after the loss of running months in 2011, will be pleased to get round in a decent time.

Just purchased some new running shoes today, after having done my tempo run. Hope to get a couple of runs in them this week. Gone from the Nike Vomero to Brooks Ghost.  Will see how they fare this week, but don't fancy a proper half in shoes as old as the ones I was wearing today!

Hope everyone keeps well and enjoys the current heatwave!

Waves to all imageimageimage

• Morning all

Well  i did 5 miles yesterday used  the treadmill as i just fancied watching the television have 8 to do today as the weathers warmed up a bit i will make the effort to get out for a run to do them?

I had a look back at last year’s 20 mile runs and to be honest the times are not a lot different for last years

so there's hope for me yet

• Toby3 - keep your chin up all will be good on the day.

DannyH - you romantic

SR - yes it was -12 and that was hours after I went out, absolutely freezing, but I wear my wimp badge with pride, it is a good motivator to get out this week and get some good runs.

Yvonne2 - bring on that pb, you can do it, my fingers are crossed for you on sunday.

Stig - glad the family is all ok, and who needs sleep.

Good luck to everyone else this week who is racing / running a half

take care everyone

• SR and SM I think you are right and I need to do some core work.

I am  following the a Hal Higdon plan which has a semi long faster run on the sat which of course means I am already tired when I do the LSR.  I think this has exposed my weak core which was the reason for the injury I picked up last year.  I did get some execises from liz yelling at the NSPCC marathon training day but of course haven't done any.

The plan makes some sense to me in that if I can run 20 on tired legs then I will be ok for 26 on fresh legs.  Got to be careful not to get injured though!!!

Got my marathon trainers last week.   As it was my birthday I splashed out a bit but can get the same pair for £25 later in the year.  Has everyone got their intended trainers yet?

Need to start trying gels and drinks as only a few LSR runs left now!!  60 days to go!!

• Jolyon - I have not got my trainers yet, but I always go for the same each time, so no problem, I also still have to order my gels, but still have some left I use Torq gels
  • Do some of you buy trainers purely for racing in ? I've been using the same ones for training and racing.

Does this not cause problems re blisters, breaking in etc ?

A nice easy 6m trail done today.
  • No I need to buy some cos they're only supposed to last 500 miles and ice had mine 18minths now and done over 200 so far this year, so I perhaps need a new pair.

Plan to get them in plenty of time so that I can test them out with some LSRs sweatshop is brill though if you have problems within 2 weeks of it chase they'll exchange them for something else (and they do running gait assessment)

Hoping to get back from Alton towers ready for 6 x 1mile reps later. I'm so cold now though I'd rather just collapse in front of the telly

Happy valentines day!! imageimage
  • No me, I just bought 2 pairs at the same time. Am doing 90% of my training in one pair, and will race in the other. Meaning I'll have a pair of nicely worn in but not worn out shoes come race day.

They were different colourways, so I can tell which is which!

• I dont buy new trainers for racing in, but try to get a new pair so I can get about 50 miles on them prior to race day to ensure they are worn in.
  • I got new trainers last year a few months before race day and they gave me blisters everytime i trained in them and until well after april..i still have the same pair they no longer give me blisters and i think are now well and truly run in so ill stick to those...

Thanks for reminder about gels need to get some more for this sunday too....

For the record spen i dont think your  a wimp for not running in - 12    i wouldnt of run either..

• Will be heading over to my nearest Sports Direct next weekend for a couple of pairs of trainers. I've got 3 pairs on the go at the moment but two of these are coming to the end of there life. Normally use the Asics Kayano and Gt 21** series, but have been having some issues with the heel cup on the Kayano's wearing out before there time, so think I will just buy the GT 21**'s and there cheaper too so all good. I often get blisters in non worn in shoes, to help with this a good smear of Vaseline on the affected areas does help.

Jolyon Bland: working on core can help no end with good running posture. Always worth finding the time and getting in to the habit of doing this.

• Has anyone got any views on ice baths or variations thereof? Found my legs ached a bit after Sundays long run, nothing so debilitating I cant run but have been reading about how beneficial they can be in terms of recovery.

The thought fills me with total horror but it cant be that bad if people swear by it and I just wondered what everyones views were - is it worth it or not?

• Karen: I have cold baths quite often. Usually get in from a run then 15 minutes of stretching followed by some food and drink before into the cold bath for between 10-15 minutes, before a warm bath to clean up. I just sit in the bath so only my legs and groin in the water and only use cold tap water, (plenty cold enough at this time of year), I often wonder however if it does any good, but think the theory on it is it helps flush away the lactic acid build up in tired muscles. It is up to you whether you try it or not, but personally I feel it does help me and seems to speed up recovery to get ready for my next session. But there are probably many out there who say it is a waste of time.
  • Karen,

I used to do what Solent does. I now just wear compression tights for the rest of the day after the long run.

Both seem to work for me image

• I did it after my marathon last year went back to the hotel and sat in cold bath for 15 mins and i swear i felt better the next day!!! compared to year before when i couldnt walk down the stairs...image but it does take some doing though to get your backside sitting in it....bbbbrrrr... i grab a magazine to read to take my mind off the coldness..
  • yvonne: I have my stereo playing to listen too and maybe a hot cup of tea to sip whilst sat in the cold bath.

AGF: I have also considered compression tights to use as well as cold baths, but I hate tight fitting clothes so this is a non starter for me.

• As a bloke the hardest part is getting your bits in !!!!
    More pain than doing a marathon although the mrs thinks the result is hysterical image
  • Morning all

well 8 miles done yesterday  i decided to some hill training  so ran what i thought was a 4 mile out and back course that took me up the A38 towards Bristol airport but by the time i got home it turn out to be nigh on 9 according to the Garmin

The whole run took 1:26:01 with the Avg pace of 9.39 m/m mile 4 was slow at 11:10 but that was on the long steep climb so am i am really pleased about it

The first half of the route is all uphill the good thing is it all down on the way back

• Stig, is that into an ice bath or into compression tights? Could well be either!

I can't say the idea of a cold bath appeals to me at all, but I have toyed with compression for the claves. I often end up sleeping with the legs raised on a cushion to try & help recovery that way.

5 easy for me last night. Every thing appears to still be functioning after Sunday.

• Stig: I hear where your coming from. It is not very good for your pride sitting in a cold bath, but a warm bath afterwards normally cures thingsimage.
  • Helen - the ice bath. The tights aren't a problem as I use an extra pair of socks down the front image

SR - I'm think next time of just using a cold shower on the legs but agree about the warm bath after.
  • Not sure about cold bath or shower at minute perhaps when it warms up a bit.

5 mile recovery run for me last night but didn't do the core exercsies I had promised myself.  WIll try and start a routine today of core exercies pre run and streches post run.

Due a 50 mile week which will be my highest total mileage.  Think I will get my home made foam roller (bit of pipe) out.

• Jolyon, I agree about the cold bath/weather. As stated I have done them in the past but do not fancy them now. I just realised that i did them in the summer as it also helped cool down in higher temps. However at the moment I come back from long runs cold already!!!  I will do them in the run up to abingdon though.

Well done on the 50 mile week jolyon, very good, I hope to do the same this week. 

I hope everyone is having a good week, sounds like Toby is getting the training in. hope the rest of you are too. Its warmed up a little here. 

I still have a runny nose/man flu....but managed 7 at MP today. Hopefully it will go soon.

• Hi all, just joined the forum, running my first Brighton marathon this year!.

Training has been going really well except for really sore ribs!! this week, not sure how this happened.

Just done a slow 5k with my new garmin, then downloaded it onto garmin connect, first time i have used this, great way to analyize your runs.

Have a good weeks running all..........
  • Hi All,
    I'm bowing out of this year's marathon and deferring until next year. I'm not where I hoped to be fitness wise so I am going to take the time to get there hopefully over the coming spring and summer months. My leg is still not 100% and I am carrying extra weight from normal and after umming and aahing I finally made my mind up last night. It has been a tricky decision for me but now that I've made it I am happy that is the right one. I will be popping on to see how you are all getting on. I hope your training continues to go well and that you all achieve your own personal targets over the coming weeks. Happy running, I will be thinking of you!
  • Sorry to hear that. But if it feels right then it probably is. Come back stronger and fitter next year image
  • Fair amount of activity over the last couple of days!

Welcome Kentmark,  glad to hear that things are going well and hope you enjoy the forum image

fortysomething, sorry to hear you've had to bow out image, but respect for making the call. Never easy but sometimes it has to be done. Thanks for your good wishes to us all.

Re trainers / racers -I use the same pair to race in as I do for training. If the Brooks work well tho, I'll try and get another pair in March so that I can break them in, but they'll still be fresh enough for the marathon.

Re cold baths: I can't quite cope with the cold baths, but do have a cold shower on the legs for a couple of minutes or more after a run, and then just turn the heat back on for a normal shower. This definitely helps me recover better.

Good run this am, 6x1 mile repeats. Did the first mile too quick, partly because the new shoes felt great image, but maintained the intended pace for most of the other miles.

Hope you all have good weeks!

Waves to all  imageimageimage

• Morning all

Well 5 miles yesterday and as i had to set the treadmill up for the wife decided to do them on that while watching a film rest day today with 14 tomorrow

as for cold baths i have to say i never been temped much prefer a hot bath with my spar matt going

AFG got to say we have been very lucky with the weather here in Bristol so far we had very little snow so the paths have stayed snow and ice free

Fortysomething sorry to hear we won’t be having the pleasure of you company this year it must have been a tough decision to make but you do need to do what’s best for you

kentmark welcome to the thread

• FayaFaya ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that Fortysomething, must have been a difficult decision, but totally understandable.

Hello Kentmark! I have a garmin forerunner and I love it! It's really helping me keep my pace under control at the moment. (I have a habit of wanting to run faster, not a good idea for LSRs!)

Remember I said my ankle was feeling a little unhappy at the end of my 15 miler? Well, that was Sunday, I didn't run Monday or Tuesday and did a 1 hour run yesterday and it's feeling a little unhappy again. Nothing terrible, I can walk on it fine and I could probably still run on it, it's just if I can feel an ache occasionally. Not entirly sure what to do about it. image

• Fortysomething: Brighton is not worth the hassle this year if you are not in shape. Just get yourself back to where you want to be and have another crack at it next year.

Faya: if your ankle is still a little sore it is probably best to have more time off running. I would leave it until next Monday or Tuesday before trying a gentle run to see if things have improved. A few training days lost at this stage is nothing much to worry about and then start your plan again next week, (do not try and make up for lost training though when you do start back), if when you do try running again you can still feel it, I would advice a trip to the Dr's to get a proper analysis of what the problem is.