Numpty IM Bike Thread

Comments

• hmmm

A nice shiny TT frame has just arrived curtesy of ebay image

Hope it fits!!!

I currently ride SRAM rival, but now I need to buy a groupset and Ribble seem to have 20% sale + 25% off shimano at the moment.

Their TT groupset comes in at about £350-400 for 105 and £500-600ish for ultegra.......  This included dura ace shifters / brake leavers......  (Site is down now so I can't confirm exact prices.)

So from your experience

• do groupset sales some up often....
    • should I jump now??
    • 105 or Ultegra?
    • gearing - same as my road bike or make it a bit bigger..??
  • What did you get OC?

I have DA/105 on my road bike, and the TT bike has Rival, and the SRAM shifting is fantastic compared to Shimano. Admittedly they are different types of shifters, but the SRAM is so positive. SRAM also have some whizzo TT shifters that always point forwards.

Merlin normally have some good deals on groupsets. You could always price the bits up individualy that you want.

My road bike is a compact with 11-26. TT is 39/53 with a 12-27. Considering a 28 though.

• well,

I have to name it Jason the Argonaute, (that will show my age.......)
    and its got 112 on the frame image

• I would think it would look with a nice set of Campag EPS image but that's a) going to cost more than the frame probably and b) is as rare as rocking horse crap unless you're on a pro team

if you're familiar with Shim, then stick with that rather than go with SRAM as you'll a) be familiar with the shifting and b) have interchangeable components if things go wrong with one
  • Went for sram force in the end ( i like the rival kit on my road bike)
    Blew the budget on the R2C shifters though

Still hunting for the cheapest rear mech but its in hand

I ride a compact at the moment, so got another of those...... should i have gone for a bigger one for a tt bike?

These gear ratios are a bit of a mystery to me. I have a 50- 34 and a 11-25 on my road bike. I can get up anything i normally ride, but do run out of gears on big downhills.....
    I could pick up a 53- 39 chainset.... but that looks a big step up esp at the lower end

Errrr.......
  • R2C...very nice.. Good decision.

With a compact you can stick bigger chain rings on it.I have bought a SRAM compact for my road bike so I can use that on the TT if needed.

34x25 is very similar to 39x28 - there is only 1" gain between the two.

• Here is a summary of my visitt to Halfords to look at Boardman bikes earlier today:

Me: I am interested in the Boardman Ladies roadbike. Have you any advice on sizing please?

Spotty - monotone assistant: It is up to you reallly.... get a small frame if you would like a small bike, large if you would like a larger frame and medium if you prefere somewhere in between.

Me: thanks (why did I say that!)

Spotty - monotoane assistant: You are welcome, would you like to order one now and you can collect it next week?

Me: No thanks 

WTF.... I don't know much about bikes but this was not going to get me to hand over £1200. 

• Brilliant...

Tell us near to where you are and someone will recommend a LBS that will sort you out sensibly.
  • Thanks Dustboy.

I have been using my LBS (Eureka near Chester) to fix up my batterd Carrera Tour de France. It just appears that there may be better value away from the shop brands.

Is it wrong of me to think you get more  bang for your buck from an online dealer (PX, Ribble etc..)? 

Also, if I did buy from somewhere else is it wrong to use my LBS for bike fit, services etc..?

• LBS have overheads that online dealers don't.

I'd not get fitted in a LBS and then buy online - that's sneaky.
    Getting it serviced after is fine - then you're paying for their work.

If you speak to Planet X they'll advise on sizing and I think they have a place in Rotherham you can visit.

Is that the Eureka cycles run by the guy from the Mills ?

• Yes, it is Keith from the Mills. He seems excellent from my numpty view point.

I was thinking of paying for a bike fit and being up front about what I was doing. Would this be fair as I don't want to be sneaky? ie. pay for a bike fit and use his expertise on sizing before buying, then buy online (or 2nd hand), go back for actual fit?

• I think that's fair then. If you're not taken by any of his bikes, then that's just the way it is ?

He'll still get money on your services and parts anyway.
  • The other thing about shops is - sometimes they will do a deal if you ask. I know my local shop will give 5% off bikes and 10% off everything else not already in a sale to members of any club - and they never ask for proof so I'm assuming they aren't really bothered if you are in a club or not. Other people I know barter them down even more saying I saw this for such a price on the internet - I never have the heart for that kind of thing but by all accounts it works.

So if you do see a bike in a shop it's worth asking their best price - at worst they can only say whatever it says on the ticket - and you can always take it back if it's local. Saw a brand new bike today - mail order - the Shimano shifter was broken on the first day - what a pain that now has to go back to get fixed rather than just popping it down the local shop.
  • Spent the day putting bits on the new bike.. 4 inches of snow mean no riding image

Its going wel, but I need a new brake cable outer as I cut it too short...... oops, the front only turns one way at the moment image

Anyway, I have some shiney sram r2c shifters.......
    Do i need any form of barrel adjusters for these....the rear deraleiur has one, but the front has nothing....

I cannot see much on any forums......or on bike photies....

My road bike has some inline ones b/w the bar tape and the point the cable goes down the frame.....

so if I need inline ones, any iea where I buy them from..???

• You shouldn't need one for the front, they don't usually need fine adjustment like that in my experience.
  • Thanks for the advice. I have done some more research and have my eye on a Dolan Hercules. The shop is about an hour away so will get over this week hopefully.

Any feedback on Dolan?

• Dolan bikes have been around for a long time - their founder Terry Dolan has been building bikes for over 30 years. lots of shops sell Dolan bikes and generally they perform well
  • I did a season of road racing on a Dolan Hercules and the Etape de Tour.  Never let me down at all.

Mine was, and I expect they still are, Chinese carbon frames which Dolan import, spray up and put their logos on, but nothing wrong with that.  My Dolan looked identical to other "manufacturers" bikes who did just the same. 

That is a few years ago now and the frame today looks different to mine but I expect the same applies.  This is true of a many carbon frames today.

• they're probably the same carbon frames as P-X, Ribble and many other well known branded names. you can buy these frames direct from the Chinese builders if you know where to look - you can even but the exact same frame as Pinarello buy direct from the factory - aka Chinarello.

• There was a Dolan at the World Cup event on the track yesterday. Romanian I think. He used to supply all the Irish team I think - and Boardman rode a lot of his bikes before carbon fibre made it hard to just spray one frame up as another and nobody would know.

I had one of his custom built - lovely bike. He's an interesting character too. I think the CF frames are just bought in, but I doubt he'd put his reputation at risk if it were a crap frame.
  • FB and Cougs...how you guys doing?

I've been thinking about something to do and the Etape keeps coming to mind.

Have either of you done it? and how hard is it to get in?

Cheers,

RB
  • he's supplying bikes to Sean Yates's pro team I think as well - or was. I suspect they would be Chinese made but to Dolan's specs and not generic. the tooling needed to build your own carbon frames is way too big an investment compared to that needed to weld your own alu/steel/ti frames together
  • bleeding hell - Ratbag!

hi old timer....

not done the Etape - just never appealed to me. I do know it's not easy to get into though - lottery I believe?? there's plenty of other bike challenges that are easier to enter and will give a sense of achievement. how about Paris-Brest-Paris?? image
  • Hmmmmm....maybe I'm invisible......
  • OK maybe not...cheers fb...I thought it was well over subscribed....I just feel like a bit of a challenge...but would also fancy a bit of company...so what's happening this year that might appeal to me?

Yeah, sorry to barge in just like that....it's been a while...hope you're keeping well matey...
  • Ratbag - this year and last they've actually had 2 etapes a few days apart - different stages of the Tour - think that has made it easier to get into as it's doubled the places available. As far as getting in I'm not sure how quickly the places sell out - I don't think it is a lottery but I may be wrong - you might still be able to get a place as part of a tour package ?

I'm doing the Marmotte which is similar - but I'm pretty certain that has sold out now - there are lots of others dotted around though - I was looking at which one to do but went for the Marmotte again as I know others going down for it so it was that with a group or something else on my own. Have a look at Circuit of Mont Blanc or the Maratona - they look interesting alternatives.
  • I had to search well back to find this through the spam.

I have a second hand trek 2.1 which I intend using as my main bike for a couple of years.  I was never fitted for it, and it feels relatively comfortable, although I recognise and acknowledge the importance of a bike fit.

I am a newcomer to bikes (at 50!), and as such I am building my mileage gradually iaw the Fink program.  I have cycled numerous 20-30 milers, a couple of 40's and today managed my longest mileage to date, 55 quite hilly and breezy miles @ 15.5 av mph.

My problem is a tighteness across my shoulders and neck which led to me suffering fatigue long before my legs tired.  I googled the problem and read quite a few threads on different forums with the obvious different answers.  I have been stretching my back out and roll my shoulders more and more frequently on the go and as the miles build up, but the burn still niggles on.

Q1.  Will this ease as I get used to the longer days in the saddle or should I have that bike fit now?  I don't want to spend unecessarily if the tightness is something that will ease with my core strength training, and with time on the road.

Q2.  Should I go for a basic fit now, or would the rather expensive retul fit at my LBS be worth my money with the inevitable spend on new bits.

I am not avoiding spending money, just trying to avoid needlessly spending money if I just need to harden up.

• I'd vote for keeping at it. Was this just on your longest ride ? You've added a. Extra hour or so to the normal rides so you'd expect it to be a bit harder ?
    It will probably get better as you get used to it.
  • VT'd,Just wondering if it could be your cycle helmet being to low at the front so you have to force your head up to see where your going.I had to remove the peak off mine last year and the neck pain isnt as bad now.
  • I normally get something similar, but not today. That said I am doing daily shoulder excercises at the moment.

Good idea Spongecake!