Going Numb When Running

Hi i normally run 3 times a week and do two 4 mile runs and a 6 mile run at a weekend.
i run in the morning on an empty stomach and also dehydrated. last week i took a week off due to rain and ice and when i returned this week, half way round my 4 miles i got numb arms and a cold, numb sensation in both my abs and arms. just wondering if anyone has any idea why and if so how to stop it.
many thanks

Comments

• any answers would be greatly appreciated
  • I sometimes get numb fingers, arm. Think it's due to circulation. If you're running on empty it's probably harder for your body to fuel/circulate and keep you warm. If you ate before run, your metabolism would be heightened and probably run faster/burn more. That or maybe you need to stretch out properly. Don't worry!
  • I get a spreading numbness in my left arm when running at a hard effort level (5k or 10k race, for example)

I usually ease back a bit on the pace for a few minutes and it gradually disappears

If I'm doing interval training or hill reps it sometimes spreads to incude my lips - at this point I take it as a sign to have a break for a bit and allow the blood to start flowing around properly.

• I used to get numbness in my left arm when my heart was stressed during exercise and was diagnosed as having angina and had to have a stent fitted, I would get it checked out.
  • I get numb fingers after long runs of over 12 or so, never at the time but about 10 mins after I've finished . I've always put it down to circulation when my heart rate drops off.
  • I get very cold fingers and toes when running and other times. Been diagnosed as Raynaud's syndrome and is innocuous (usual type of it anyway).

Anything particular to left arm sounds well worth checking out though- I agree with DT 13- get it checked out- better safe than sorry.

• http://www.gouptoday.info/avatar1.jpg

http://www.gouptoday.info/avatar1.jpg

I get very cold fingers and toes when running and other times

• Hi

I understand that its ok to run on an empty stomach sometimes - but i always thought that runners need to be well hydrated and as you cover alot of miles, is it wise to be dehydrated - may this be causing your problem with numbness?

Hope you get it resolved soon 

T

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Connor B wrote (see)
    Hi i normally run 3 times a week and do two 4 mile runs and a 6 mile run at a weekend.
    i run in the morning on an empty stomach and also dehydrated. last week i took a week off due to rain and ice and when i returned this week, half way round my 4 miles i got numb arms and a cold, numb sensation in both my abs and arms. just wondering if anyone has any idea why and if so how to stop it.
    many thanks

Could this simply be a case that the weather was so cold, you lost feeling that way!?

Does it happen in warmer temperature? Anything arm or chest related I'd see a doc. Anything extremity related, fingers and toes probably wouldn't hurt to be checked either. Those are common with poor circulation and Raynaud's like people say above.

I actually had a foot feel numb for about 4 or 5 miles within a half marathon recently. Bizarre feeling, could hardly feel my foot hitting the floor, but still got a pb! weird one though.