Best ever running books

It's my birthday soonimage and my missus wants inspiration on running books to get meimage

Already got: Ultramarathon Man, Born to Run, The Greatest (Haile' biography), The Ghost Runner, Running for my Life, P&D, Road running for Serious Runners (LOL!), Daniels' Running Formula

Any suggestions? Money no object- well to me, anyway!!imageimageimage

Comments

• That Murakami (sp?) one. Is it `what i think about when i think about running`. Class above imo.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Fictionalized biography of Emil Zatopek  Great .
  • From Last to First - Charlie Spedding
  • ET- oops- should have put that on the already got list- good read thoughimage

ATM- Thanksimage

• Red S- looks promisingimage
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    I have a few of the books mentioned. My favourite is Running with Lydiard by Arthur Lydiard. It won't be to everyone's taste cos it is a book which provides the groundwork of how to train.
  • Feet in the Clouds

The Perfect Distance, (Coe and Ovett) - Pat Butcher

The Lore of Running- Tim Noakes (essential manual for every runner)

The extra Mile - Pam Reed

Wild Trails to Far Horizons - Mike Cudahy

• A good list of books there, some of which i will certainly look up.

As a follow up question I wondered if anyone could suggest some that would be a good read for non-runners as well - shock, horror! Yes, there are such things as non-runners image

I've been asked if I'd talk to the local library group about my first marathon attempt, and have been asked to include something related to books as well - it being a library group and all! I'm assuming most of them don't run, so might not find the training type books of as much interest.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Have a look at some reviews of the Zatopek book and of the film footage about him on youtube, jason. His story is definitely of interest even to a confirmed non-runner. On the human-interest front, I found it heartbreaking. I like that in a book...image
  • How long did he rule Mexico for?
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    imageIt's not that  fictionalized..But, hey, it would make a great movie twist...The shorts, the vests, the Russian Army, the Mexican Army, St.Wencelas Square, sombreros...It will work Sussex R! Send me a draft script...
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Feet in the Clouds is a great read if you have an interest in Fell running and particularly the BGR.

• Just noticed FICTIONALISED-thats intersting. Kind of like the David Peace book on Clough. Not the not-so-god film version!
  • Feet in the Clouds should also have been on my already got (and read numerous times!!) list. Some great suggestions everyone- will give a list to Mrs JD- thanks a lot!image

Helen- I'd suggest that FitC is well worth a read even if you're a non-runnerimage

• For non-runners Born to Run is still a fascinating travelogue and a good yarn - even if the barefoot message is a debateable.

The Bart yasso book is an easy read too, (cant rememeber the title but goole bart yasso and you'll find it) 

• I just read the biography of Ron Peters called 'Plimsolls On, Eyeballs Out', a very interesting read.
  • Helen - someone I know texted me this week to say they're reading Born to Run and loving it - they are not a runner.  It's v good if you haven't read it.

Jason - I flicked through my Charlie Spedding book last night to remind me of how it read and I would hugely recommend it.  I also looked at Charlie's website and blog.  He's recently recovered from lymphoma and is back running.  I didn't realise he'd been unwell.

• RS- hinting heavily to the missusimage

Born to run is fab for runners and non-runners, i'd agree. i've read it at least 6 timesimage

• Helen - 'just a little run around the world' would be a great book for a non-runner
  • the list so far

Ultramarathon Man
    Born to Run
    The Greatest (Haile' biography)
    The Ghost Runner
    Running for my Life
    P&D
    Road running for Serious Runners (LOL!)
    Daniels' Running Formula
    That Murakami
    From Last to First - Charlie Spedding
    Feet in the Clouds
    bart yasso

i will be down the library soon
  • Maths chick- oops! That should have been on my already got list too! Embarrassing as Rosie is  a member of our club!!image
  • Just to let you know: my birthday today and got the ultrarunner Marshall Ulrich's Running on Empty from the mrs- about his run across the USA- think she's trying to get rid of me- it was Dean Karnazes for Xmas!!imageimageimage

Don't think this was on the list- but it deserves to be- cracking read- ploughed through the first 60 pages this eveningimage

Thanks to merlie for the list and to everyone for the suggestions- many of which I will be buying myselfimage

Updated list:

Ultramarathon Man
    Born to Run
    The Greatest (Haile's biography)
    The Ghost Runner
    Running for my Life
    P&D
    Daniels' Running Formula
    That Murakami
    Feet in the Clouds
    bart yasso

'just a little run around the world'
    Running on Empty- Marshall Ulrich

• Thanks Jason D.  I'll nick your list and pass it to my folks.
  • One other I would recommend is "The Perfect Mile" by Neal Bascomb. It tells the story of the "race" between Roger Bannister, John Landy and Wes Santee to run the first sub-4 minute mile. I thought it was very well written and told the story very well.

Another interesting one is "A Runner's Tale" by Dick Callan, who was a UK international runner in the late '70's / early '80's. A pretty straightforward read, but an interesting tale of the ups and downs of a very good runner who just fell short of joining the "elite".
  • I think most of those in my list have been covered, except "Mud, Sweat and Tears - an Irish Woman's Journey of Self-Discovery by Moire O'Sullivan". I loved it.
  • I think we should keep this list updated for everyone's birthday/Xmas wish listsimage If anyone has any more to add, just copy and paste them on:

Ultramarathon Man
    Born to Run
    The Ghost Runner
    Running for my Life
    P&D
    Daniels' Running Formula
    That Murakami
    Feet in the Clouds
    bart yasso

"Mud, Sweat and Tears - an Irish Woman's Journey of Self-Discovery by Moire O'Sullivan"

"A Runner's Tale" by Dick Callan

"The Perfect Mile" by Neal Bascomb

• And if anyone can get rid of those annoying spaces in the list, even betterimage
  • Ultramarathon Man
    Born to Run
    The Ghost Runner
    Running for my Life
    P&D
    Daniels' Running Formula
    That Murakami
    Feet in the Clouds
    bart yasso
    "Mud, Sweat and Tears - an Irish Woman's Journey of Self-Discovery by Moire O'Sullivan"
    "A Runner's Tale" by Dick Callan
    "The Perfect Mile" by Neal Bascomb

Any better, JD? image
  • Just got The Ghost Runner out of the library - no need to be buying books for the moment.
  • Frodoimage How?

Merlie- cracking read- will probably make you very angry on his behalf though....image