Help Needed With University Design Project

Comments

• The accident statistics will be part of the product research. Thanks for your helpful reply.
  • 1. Your age
    2. Your gender
    Male
    3. Do you use earphones while running? If not, then reasons would be helpful: safety etc.
    Yes, for recovery runs only (my cadence follows the bpm when doing speedwork, so I keep them at home then)
    4. What type of earphones do you use? in-ear, over ear or on ear etc
    'Ear Clip'
    5. What is the make and model of the earphones?
    Philips SHS3300
    6. Do you have any feedback for the particular type or make and model of earphone, any suggestions for improvement, complaints or positives?
    I prefer the over ear pads, as I don't like to push buds into my ear, and I would never want a headphone set with a band between the 2 speakers

Good luck mate, You could have got some more replies if people just honestly answered your questions at face value instead of getting on their little soap boxes.

(Product Design graduate here, so know where you're coing from on researching)

• My pleasure, always like to help the youth of today

How many cyclist being killed wearing your product do you think would lead to the development being cancelled ?

• DMaxDMax ✭✭✭

Male

I use them for running

Earbuds

Bose IE2

i'd like to be able to customise the earbud for an exact fit. I think if any company developing earphones were able to ensure people can mould them straight out the box, they'd be onto a winner.

I don't like headphones with a band either.

Noise cancelling, while a good thing, may not be ideal for runners as they may not hear cars, dogs, attackers, etc approach image

I also like the fact that my earbuds are stablised on another part of the ear so that they do not move around too much. Other things I like are water/sweat proof headphones, a minimalist look.

You may want to consider customisable headphones as well. The ability to order a given colour or put your name on them or something may attract some people. Also, have a sports company as a partner may help with branding.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

1. Your age
    Under 30
    2. Your gender
    Lady
    3. Do you use earphones while running? If not, then reasons would be helpful: safety etc.
    Pick and choose really. If my ipod is next to my running clothes then Yes. If it's not - i wont. It's not so much about safety as if I do wear them - I only ever wear one ear.

Small comment: what other option would there be to using earphones? Having portable speakers?

4. What type of earphones do you use? in-ear, over ear or on ear etc
    In ear. The others irritate me.

5. What is the make and model of the earphones?
    Philips but couldnt tell you which ones. I have a tendency to break earphones quite a bit so don't keep a pair for long

6. Do you have any feedback for the particular type or make and model of earphone, any suggestions for improvement, complaints or positives?

I like hardwearing earphones that are "idiot" proof (e.g. can stand being pulled, sweat, caught in zips etc). To be honest - I like any earphone that distributes a good sound to the ear but it silent to those around me (noise cancelling).

• Emmy_bug wrote (see)

Small comment: what other option would there be to using earphones?

Running without music?

I know, it's a crazy idea. It will never catch on!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Kryten wrote (see)
    Emmy_bug wrote (see)

Small comment: what other option would there be to using earphones?

Running without music?

I know, it's a crazy idea. It will never catch on!

My question was more based around his original comment:"Do you use earphones while running?" and for me that implied "do you listen to music when you run?" - hence my comment.

As i said in my post - for me it's not a big factor in my running and I actually prefer hearing the sound of my feet on my pavement!

• Spartan Dave, I am certainly no youth as I am well into my 30's and am a mature student.

The point of the module I am currently doing (Product Research) is to learn about market research and the many different approaches to it.

I am entirely confident that no actual products will be developed as a result of this research so you can rest easy that no deaths will come from it. It is simply one of many market research avenues my team is exploring as part of my degree course. Thanks for your input.
  • Could I politely ask that if anyone does not want to help out a student in his research project, does not approve of the questions or find them "inspiring" or simply does not like the thread to kindly find something better to do with your time and refrain from posting on the thread.

To those of you who have answered I sincerely thank you and can assure you that it will help our team a great deal when we come to compile the report.
  • I should add to the above that I also appreciate any constructive (positive or negative)suggestions or comments etc to do with the project. It all helps (except for the trolls)
  • Intermanaut wrote (see)
    @Michael Wilson 15 - You asked me some questions, you spacker.  It would have bene both impolite and remiss of me not to answer. 

Not really, you could just ignore the thread.  Before I opened it and saw that you'd replied, I guessed correctly that the comments would be more disparaging than constructive.

CNBA doing the survey to be honest.  Suffice to say that the only time I listen to music on headphones is when I'm walking or travelling on public transport.  Any "study" which even begins to talk about using headphones and cycling in the same context should ONLY be one which gives empirical support to the idea that it's bloody stupid to combine the two activities.

• I am entirely confident that no actual products will be developed as a result of this research so you can rest easy that no deaths will come from it. It is simply one of many market research avenues my team is exploring as part of my degree course

Michael Wilson 15 wrote (see)
    The accident statistics will be part of the product research. Thanks for your helpful reply.

Difficult to calculate the accident statistics if you don't make any of the product......

• Here we go again, Spartan Dave, I have no idea what point you are trying to make or whether you even have one.

"Difficult to calculate the accident statistics if you don't make any of the product......". This is a frankly baffling comment as there are countless sources of statistics for all sorts of information which a person can access without having to be involved in that particular field. Does a journalist reporting on the banking crises (using statistics) have to also be a banker?

Furthermore, I would make the point that many runners use running machines and are relatively safe from fatality as a result of earphone use.

I will be extrapolating from your trolling that you are a 40 year old male who does not use earphones when running for fear of fatality (even when on a running machine), so thank you for your contribution to my survey.

I would now politely ask that you stop trolling this thread.
  • Perhaps I should have been clearer in the original question that I am interested in the use of earphones during sports activities (running on this forum for obvious reasons) in any environment. This would include on running machines, cycling machines etc where I am fairly confident the risk of fatality is fairly low.

That said, the strong feelings against the use of these devices while outside is very helpful to my research and I appreciate the feedback. In particular from "PhilPub" who managed to express his opinions in a helpful manner and one which will be useful in my studies, all while not being particularly interested in the survey. Kindly take note "Spartan Dave" and "Interwhatever", that is how most normal people conduct themselves.
  • "40 year old male"

oh - how I laughed.... image

MW - you really are coming across as a pompous twat you know irrespective of the original question. this is an open forum, you don't "own" the thread and anyone can post if they feel like it so accept that and you'll be a lot more comfortable.

and on that note I shall depart - you have my comments earlier to your survey which were - to reiterate - I don't run with music so I'm not bothered with headphones designs for such use.

• Darn it, fat buddha, you forgot to tell me about the on-line surveys which you were inspired by??

I agree of course this is not "my thread" and the internet is a free place where rude and cowardly people can hide behind a computer and spout whatever rubbish they like. It can also be a place where people help each other out. You have made your position in the former pretty clear.

Thanks for your input all the same: male, 50, loves to run (probably away from normal people) with Lady Gaga on at full volume.

Great news on your departure though, one less troll to ignore.
  • actually I lied - I'm still here....

but solely to answer "you forgot to tell me about the on-line surveys which you were inspired by??"

the answer is - the one I just completed for the role I have as a volunteer at the Olympics but that really has nothing to do with running except in an oblique way in that running will take place at the Olympics. not an exceptional survey in the scheme of things (asking about availability dates etc) but it was much more inspirational to me as a survey than yours.

you did ask

bye

and do enjoy your stay here - it's been a pleasure talking to you
  • The pleasure has been all mine, it's rare any "normal" people get to converse to individuals who are inspired by on-line surveys. I am sure there are plenty more out there to occupy your busy and productive schedule.

• Just for you fat buddha, an on-line survey on trolling. You can combine two of your loves at the same time:

http://thekingofhate.com/forums/Thread-Trolling-Survey
  • Michael Wilson 15 wrote (see)
    University courses are split into separate  modules with 6 for each year. It is not, and to my knowledge has never been, one continuous module to complete any degree. So even in year three a new module requires the students to start all over again to study the requirements of that particular module.

The module I am currently involved in (and reason for starting this thread) is titled Product Research and requires the students to get into teams and do research on one of a selection of potential products. My team is at the very first stage of product research for sports (particularly running and cycling) earphones. We were given this task two days ago.

I am going to attempt to rise above all of this silliness and appologise to you for the tone and insulting nature of some of my posts/comments. I am sorry. Hopefully, on reflection of the course structure and early (two days) nature of the research you will understand my frustration at your insulting comments.

But you didn't mention running machines......   But you did mention cycling, Which has to be the most stupid use of earphones I have ever seen, Even from a MATURE student

Oh to be 40....

• I appologise for my failure to mention that sports earphones used while running and cycling could also apply to their use on running and cycling machines. It's not really the point of the survey, it's the running part that's important (while wearing earphones) wherever and however you choose to do it.

Do you also find the use of earphones on cycling machines "stupid"?
  • Is the above picture reflective of the average mental age of the trolls on here?
  • That one is pretty good, might use it on the cover of the report.
  • Michael Wilson 15 wrote (see)
    I appologise for my failure to mention that sports earphones used while running and cycling could also apply to their use on running and cycling machines. It's not really the point of the survey, it's the running part that's important (while wearing earphones) wherever and however you choose to do it.

Do you also find the use of earphones on cycling machines "stupid"?

Apology accepted  (There's only 1 "p"   in apologise by the way, Standard of today's students eh ?)

But the point of the survey was wearing earphones whilst doing exercise, You said running, You then expanded it to cycling, Now it's cycling machines...

I assume that even if you are stupid enough to cycle with earphones, you would wear a helmet ? Therefore the ease of wearing earphones under a helmet comes into play...... So you may well require different earphones on a cycling machine to cycling on the road...

Only trying to help young man

• I was just on bikeradar and look what's there....  Oh surprise.  But I'm sure you meant running: