Bracknell Half Marathon

I have an athlete who wants to run her 1st half marathon.

Would anyone recommend this race as a first experience?

Comments

• Yes. It's very well organized, the course has a few gradients and twists and turns but is not a killer, the start and finish venue is excellent, in fact it's an excellent race all round and superb value for money. It sells out well in advance so get in there soon.

Note to self: must book leave and enter as well.

• RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Yeah I've entered this as it's 4 weeks after Reading and I've missed some training due to injury so wanted another half end of April/early May. Had heard it's very well organised and I like the smaller races of about 1000-2000.

Muttley, how does the course compare to other halfs such as Reading (I'd consider fast) and St ALbans and Watford both of which I'd consider pretty tough courses?

• I've only done Reading of the ones you mention so can only compare with that. Bracknell is not quite as fast. It's fairly flat but has a couple of gradients, one a bit taxing on the legs at about miles 8 to 9 and some other smaller climbs. Nothing dramatic though. Lots of twists and turns, underpasses etc - it is Bracknell, after all and not scenic but not as bad as you might think. I'd say add a couple of minutes onto your Reading time. Note also the time of year. Bracknell takes place at the start of the warmer weather and has in the past been held on its own one-day heatwave.
  • Yeah i would agree with Reading being quicker. Watford is maybe ever so slighlty harder than this and St Albans is the hardest.

Its very quick first 6 or so miles, you climb from roughly 7.5 till just after 9, not a monster hill, but pretty tough at this stage. Last mile is also pretty quick being mainly slightly down hill.

Great start and finish area makes it really appealing and my favorite half in the area.

• Bracknell would be great - good atmosphere, nice course - as mentioned the hill up through Temple Park is a tough one but as long as you don't (as I did last year) kill yourself beforehand its perfectly manageable at a steady pace. The road sign at the top that says "Long Hill" always makes me laugh! I've actually PBd at Bracknell - 2 min faster than Reading the same year and I have yet to work out how!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I'm in! Better do some underpass training I suppose image
  • Does anyone have an entry they are willing to transfer ?

• SSING I miss the closing date again for the second year running
  • I'm doing this as my first Half Marathon and wondered are there normally mile/Km markers or does this vary from race to race ? also what is the norm for water stations or does this vary also ?

Cheers

Rich
  • Hi Rich,

There will be mile markers around the course, attached to lampposts or telegraph poles as close to the actual distance as possible - they are all within a few metres and give a pretty good guide.

There are 6 water stations around the course at approx 1.5 miles, 2.3 miles, 5.0 miles, 7.8 miles, 9.4 miles, 10.2 miles and a further one at the finish. Bottled water is provide at the finish, whilst the on course water stations will offer cups of water. The water stations will also have a supply of wet sponges to cool your fevered brow. Enjoy your first half marathon 

• Cheers Chris. Good bit of info there and more than I expected !! thanks again.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I cannot believe that i've missed registering for this event for the second year in a row! *smacks head*.

Good luck to everyone running this year!

• Bracknell Half Marathon Update 11th April 2012 - The Organiserrs are preparing to fill Runners Packs with a view to posting them second class post on Monday 16th April. This is your last chance to let us know if you have changed your address since entering. If you have moved and would like your runners pack to be sent to the new address please e mail the details, including your name and date of birth to half.marathon@bracknell-forest.gov.uk  before Friday 13th April
  • this is my first half marathon and really excited! thank you all for comments
  • Heidi - enjoy it...it will be my 36th(!) and about my 7th or 8th Bracknelll - have lost count!
  • Update 17th April All of the runners packs for this year's Bracknell half Marathon were posted out by second class post yesterday 16th April. They should start dropping through letterboxes in the next few days. Every year for some unknown reason a handful of runners packs do not arrive. If you do not receive your runners pack by the 25th of April please e mail half.marathon@bracknell-forest.gov.uk and let us know. We will not post out a replacement, but will have one ready for collection at the information desk on the day of the race, subject to the production of suitable ID.  The Organisers would like to remind everyone of the following: The race is full and there will not be any further places releasedThere is no waiting listThere is no deferral systemThere are no refunds for runners withdrawing from the raceRunners should not in any circumstances give their number to anyone else. The Organisers hope your final preparations are going well and look forward to seeing you all on 29th April 
  • Thanks for posting that information Chris, I'll look out for my pack.
    This will also be my first half marathon - very much looking forward to it!
  • I know someone who I understand has a runners pack for the Bracknell Half Marathon but is not participating. Let me know if anyone is interested in this space.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. The weather forecast for this one this year doesn't look too promising. It's going to be a wet one.
  • RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

I can handle wet......... I can't handle wet and windy. 

**EDIT** Looks like I'll have to handle it having seen the forecast, lol

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Looks like it could be a baseball cap job.

🙂

• I love this half marathon!!!!

There are a few hills but nothing crazy. Bracknell is generally a bit hilly with underpasses which you wiil encounter. The race is well marshalled and the directions are clear.

It's a nice small race to start off your running I'd say. South Hill Park is a great place to start and finish. Long Hill Road is the best road in my view. You are mainly going down hilll going down Long Hill Road and then turning right onto London Road so can pick up speed! Plenty of spectactors cheering and water stops.

One of the most organised runs I've done. You get a t-shirt, water and goodie bag at the finish and South Hill Park bar opens at 12pm for a celebratory drink image

Good Luck!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Ah, the underpasses. I remember swinging around lamp posts to help negotiate the sudden changes in direction encountered at these points on the course.

🙂

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Did I really say earlier on the thread that this race is held in the warmer weather? It's not that I often talk bollox or anything like that ... image

It looks like Sunday is going to be a real stinker weather-wise. Oh well, at least we can shelter in the underpasses.

• Wetter is better - My home town half!
  • Philip - does the person you know who's not participating on Sunday still have the spare place available ?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Which one of the 1000?

🙂

• I believe they do, but on looking at my entry pack, it says the entries aren't transferable, or maybe someone can enlighten me?
  • Hi Philip,

The official rules are as stated by the race organiser in one of the earlier posts in this thread - no number swapping is allowed. I've just been looking back through a thread relating to this race from a previous year and the organiser said :

"There is no "swap shop" for non runners to exchange numbers. We are aware that there has been some swapping, but do not condone this as each number is unique to the person that entered"

From my point of view, I thought I'd entered the race about 4 months ago so I've done lots of training but realised this morning that I'd not done in fact entered and am therefore keen to get a place as it's a really good race.  I've changed numbers like this before and (god forbid), in case any emergencies arise during the race, I make sure my contact details are written on the back of my number.

If you live locally to Bracknell I could collect the race pack and give you the money for the entry fee.  Please can you let me know if you are interested in doing this by clicking on "message member" below or contact me on 07500 702970.

Cheers

Lucas

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Not transferable.
    If you have an 'entry' you have an 'option' to run the race. You haven't possession of a 'ticket' to sell on or give away. Its in the rules anyway.

🙂