Compression tights!

Hello,

Just wondering what the general consenus is towards compression tights? especially with regard to seeing off shin splints. My sister (never been a runner before) is running London this April and having real trouble with her shins. So far as I can see, compression tights may well help but what do you all think?

Cheers

Comments

• They are great for stretching, my 2XU tights require me to bend double to take them off!!
  • Skins A400 active for me.
  • 2 pairs of 2XU calf guards here, love them, especially through the winter.
  • i generally wear them after a run rather than durin (apart from winter to keep warm)
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    i have 2xu calf guards, and i find them very good for recovering.  Cant comment on shin splits though, but have heard they help
  • I've not heard anyone talk of them as being good for shin splints.
    Better recovery I've heard some talking of, but not shin splints.
    Has she tried the stuff on here : http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beating-injury/beat-the-seven-body-breakdowns/7126-5.html

Mind you - I cant see how the magic tape would work.....
  • I have 2XU compression tights absolutely love them. They have helped with my glutes and calves for sure. She could also try compression socks or calf guards.
  • The consensus is that they do nothing for shin splints, not even on the radar. The evidence is weak to none that they help recovery and none that they help during running.
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Numpty question alert! I apologise in advance....

Only one person has referred to when they wear compression gear. I understand there would be benefits from both during and after, but are there any views on when to wear them and what works best? E.g. Do they keep your legs fresh if you wear them on regular runs? Are they a long run only tool? Does wearing them on the long run help or restrict you? Should they really only be worn afterwards? Might they be something to wear in the cold bath??

Sorry, loads of questions, and obviously I should just try them for myself.... But they are super expensive! So I am looking for ideas as to why I should invest (and how many pairs?).
  • I can't afford 2XU compression wear, not even the calf guards on ebay image I have though bought calf compression wraps (Runners Need have them) which I do notice the difference on, I also like how I don't need to worry about them getting old and losing their compression as with the wraps its up to me to pull them tighter to get more compression. I can't remember the name but they are blue and have two velcro straps. I used to wear them when I had what I assumed was shin splints, the shin splints turned out to be a stress fracture (!) yet the compression wraps helped them so I'm sold. If I could afford the 2XU I would though as they look a little bit more chic!
  • (see)
    Numpty question alert! I apologise in advance.... Only one person has referred to when they wear compression gear. I understand there would be benefits from both during and after, but are there any views on when to wear them and what works best? E.g. Do they keep your legs fresh if you wear them on regular runs? Are they a long run only tool? Does wearing them on the long run help or restrict you? Should they really only be worn afterwards? Might they be something to wear in the cold bath?? Sorry, loads of questions, and obviously I should just try them for myself.... But they are super expensive! So I am looking for ideas as to why I should invest (and how many pairs?).

You could try the Sub-Sports compression tights, available on Amazon for £19.99 with free postage. Excellent reviews. I've worn them throughout the cold weather, they've kept out the icy blasts and I've stayed injury free. Not for me in the bath but quite nice in bed on very cold nights.

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I like compression tights, they're more useful after training but I do like running in them, not sure that they have any benefits over normal tights but I do like the tight fit!

Calf stretching and general strengthening were more use when I had shin splints! And changing my shoes image
  • Theres nother thread on here with quite few runners confirming benefits during longer distance and for recovery. In colder climes i need tights and helps with ITband keeping my muscles warm so Im gonna give them a try for a few more pounds than decent winter tights. Forget the 2XU though thats a waste of potential shoe money image

• Hi guys, I wrote a short blog about the general purpose of compression tights and compression gear, those more experienced runners among you will probably know what works for you already, but if you're still confused about compression gear, why not give it a read!

http://www.therunningshoereview.co.uk/blog/compression-tights/