Brighton half marathon

Regarding the Brighton half marathon, about which a great deal has already been said, and all the other races mentioned in correspondence which were incorrectly laid out on race day, I was sold a half marathon i.e. 13.1 miles for my £25+ fee. What I got was a race not of this merchandisable quality, so, technically, I suppose I and the other 10,000 or so runners who took part are entitled to ask for a refund. I don't suppose race organisers will want to hear this, but it would be an incentive to get the details right. 

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Nope, you got more, so they can charge you all for the extra course that they laid out... based on £25 you all owe about 76p.
  • More a case of "doing what it says on the can", I think.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Wetter beat me to the cheeky response!

The serious response, is that I did a race once where they screwed up by not having a marshall in a key position. It meant that only 1st place and myself out of the top 15 did the full route.

Therefore, their races were screwed as they hadn't done a full 10k, and mine and the winner's races were screwed a bit as we suddenly didn't have the competition to push on in the last 2k.

To the race's credit they offered everyone affected a free entry for the next year's race.

That's probably optimistic for all 1000 people though, the race would go bankrupt...might be worth a cheeky little letter if you're a tightwad though.

• No, I'm not a tightwad,however, my comments were made from the perspective of a running club secretary who has helped organise a road race for over a decade. Our race costs affiliated runners £8 to enter and for this we give a special one-off T-shirt (different design each year ) and a goodie bag containing a carton of juice, a bag of crisps, a drinks bottle and a fluorescent armband. That is what we regard as decent value.The event  was very highly praised by Runners World.What I am saying is that from an insider's point of view is that the race organisers will have to do better next year and learn from this year's race. It wasn't only the course measurement that I remarked upon, the marshalling was not perfect, either. Clusters of marshals, spread out along the course, with large gaps between them are not as useful from a "collapsed runner" point of view, as marshals spread evenly along the course.All I said in my original forum post was "could do better". I stand by this.
  • PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    DH,

I have to agree wholeheartedly on one of your points; there are now a large number of commercial races that are just getting too many of the basics wrong.

It seems every week a race is the wrong distance, starts late, runs out of water, has a nightmare congested start, has baggage problems.

Then you look at the organisers and it is very rarely a running club.

There is one race in particular that is every year an utter disaster according to the forums and RW sings it's praises ......... it has a lot of advertising on the RW website though????

Piers

• Piers, what race are you referring to ?
  • PiersPiers ✭✭✭
    The race is I'm London, uses lots of Union flags in its advertising and one year it was so bad a forumite set up a stand alone complaints website.

However it gets thousands of entries every year as it is so heavily advertised.
  • The best thing to do, is to support those local club races and make sure they keep going. The Brighton half is my local race, although this one will probably be my last for a while. I don't go off to do those big corporate ones elsewhere. Give me the Seaford Half Marathon over the GNR anyday. Stick your big fees and your overpriced hotel rooms up your ass and do a lovely friendly scenic route with lots of people you know. Get in your car afterwards, parked a short walk to the start/finish and go home with a smile.
  • I look back on Brighton now, maybe as something of a wake up call, that things can go wrong, but knowing i gave it all my best, that my bad cold didnt defeat me, that i achieved a new PB, and my folks were there to support me. I wear the t-shirt with happiness. It may say 'half marathon' on it, and i still say it was 13.5 miles and not 13.42 what they are saying it was, but it was still a heck of a day for me. I was only 24 minutes behind the leader as well. That gave me a buzz.

I will be back next year. Paying for it i dont care. Its an experience i wouldnt miss.

• I have to say that I dont bother with Brighton races IMHO they are overated and expensive, plus the routes are not exactly inspiring -did the Brighton half in 2008 and I think there was a problem with the distance then and I recall the goody bag was absolute cr*p. Just been to Tonbridge Wells which was super slick organisation and great value for money. Nowadays there seem to be an abundance of races that charge alot  but come out as little value for money. I find the RW ratings extremely useful in deciding which races to go for. But then again I'm lucky in that I'm not too far from Hastings which I would consider to be one of the best half marathons in the country!
  • Just over a year ago I took part in the Run to the Beat half marathon - very expensive, again just a useless medal which gets shoved in a drawer, and inadequate marshalling. Of course, no surprise, it was organised by a "non-running club" organisation.

On the other hand, the Oxford Town and Gown, which I have taken part in almost every year for the last 25 years, is superbly organised with a field of up to 4000 runners, and this, too, is outsourced.( T-shirt included in the entry fee) However, the race director on the day is a luminary of a local running club with many years of experience. (Many of the marshals are volunteers from other running clubs in the county) I sometimes get the impression that this valuable resource is overlooked because the organisers feel they know as much as they need to. A perfect example of this was last year's Oxford half marathon, which had ruffled the feathers of many of the local clubs, the county AA, and some of the participants.This year, after mending bridges (if that is the phrase) and listening to local advice, we are hoping for an improved event.   

• Interesting comments - In my experience if a running club organizes the event then it is usually good because the running clubs themselves run the event with runners in mind i.e "if we were running in this race what would we expect from it" Marshalls are usually from the running clubs themselves or failing that an organisation who knows what is expected off them and not some disinterested teenager. All to often running races are looked upon as a convenient cash cow rather than a race with runners in mind. just a thought!
  • Also interesting that a lot of runners seem to rate a race by how good some useless medal was at the end. I judge it by the atmosphere, the scenery, the slick organisation, the value for money. To rate it by some piece of crap on a ribbon is bizarre unless you are five years old or something!!
  • Goody bag? like you are a toodler at a party expecting a party bag-how bizarre for adults to think like that!