runners world magazine

Just received the new magazine and seriously thinking of stopping subscribtion due to same topics just under a different name from six months ago. Seems to be more and more adverts, I know that they have bills to pay but with the internet now can search for local clubs and see their upcoming races. Started my subscription years ago, pre internet I must say.

What are the benefits now of RW's subscription ?

Any else with same thoughts or totally opposite thoughts and think RW is brillant.

Comments

• I've never bought a copy and not gotten through it within an hour, the articles are good but there are just so few of them...then like you say you get pages and pages and PAGES of different runs listed, why they are listed is a bit beyond me as well as if I were looking for a run to join I'd look online rather then wade through pages in a magazine.

I do think they repeat themselves too much too and it can feel a bit simplstic at times. I now tend to read Ultra Fit which has far more indepth articles. Can be a bit build-my-muscle-now but there are some good and well written articles with just the right amount of technical info to keep me concerntrating rather then my mind wondering off elsewhere... And the adverts don't cover 75% of the mag either!!

• How many pages on barefoot running? Ridic!!! And FREE shoe guide??? Last I heard the magazine cost over four quid. Tonky?? If you are going to have a comedian writing then lets have someone funny.

More race reports better written-along the lines of the brilliant Jog Shop Jog article. And how about a tie in with the web forums. Not just the couple of lines they have now I mean.
  • I think most magazines repeat stuff after a while, they are great for first time readers or if you are new to the sport.

used to really enjoy it for about 18 months then found it was repeating articles so cancelled my subscription and borrow it from the library instead.

• I find with RW inevitably there is a headline on the front cover about losing weight. I also find in recent years they have too many quotations "coach brown says" etc and those are from American coaches. When we went on holiday to the states once I compared the american and british versions of runners world and there was sod all difference. However they have me by the balls as I usually buy the magazine on the chance of finding a decent article as well as the race listings. Ive tried Running Fitness but it seems to come a poor second. I agree with Sarah that magazines tend to repeat their stuff after a while.
  • I'm fairly new to running having been into it for about 8 months now and do like the running magazines, usually for my lunch break as I get constantly interrupted so have given up on trying to read a book at work. I tend to prefer Mens Running to Runners World however but have picked them both up this month for a change, once I've got round to reading them I'll see how many articles were repeated across the two.
  • I just got my first issue in the £3 for 3 subscription. I had a glance, noticed how many adverts there were and decided after the 3 I'll be cancelling. Most of that info you can get online, there wasn't anything really amazing in there that would be worth full price.

But how much new stuff can you produce month after month on running that wont be online image
  • Had another read of the magazine today, skipping lots of pages due to the adverts, will be cancelling the direct debit tomorrow.
  • TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭
    What annoys me sometimes is that articles in the magazine appear on this website as well after a while. What is the point of paying for the magazine to read the articles if they end up here anyways?
  • Prior to the internet it was a good source of information about running, training & races, however you can get all this information by the click of a mouse now.

• Most of the subscribers only articles are available for free at runnersworld.com

But if you don't buy the magazine how will you ever learn how to halve your 10k pb with just 3 30 inute sessions a week?image

• Ninjablossom wrote (see)
    I just got my first issue in the £3 for 3 subscription. I had a glance, noticed how many adverts there were and decided after the 3 I'll be cancelling. Most of that info you can get online, there wasn't anything really amazing in there that would be worth full price.

But how much new stuff can you produce month after month on running that wont be online image
    Can you do that? Last time I read the small print it said "minimum subscription 12 months" just that the first 3 are £3 and then the payments come automacly, if you stop early they'd either chase you for money or note as an unpaid payment (and so upsetting your credit report) or cancel your subscription...after the initial 12 months. Be interested to hear anyway.
  • A funny comedian would be a start.

Getting people like Jo Pavey writing articles at least means there's some level of informed advice.

Still leaning towards cancelling the direct debit, it never justifies what I pay for it.

Whenever I get one I'll go through and pull out all the pages with ads on both sides, and then read the magazine.. It is about 50% thinner after ripping out the ad pages.
  • And the covers! For 2011: one each of Paula Radcliff, Usain Bolt and Jessie Innes. One of a guy, all the others of women, mainly in a bra-top and short-shorts (even for the November and December issues - yup, very realistic), three posed on one leg, doing a quadriceps stretch, two in hand-on-hip poses, perhaps two or three looking anything like, you know, actual people running.

And most of the articles seem to be weight loss/beginners'. There are occasional interesting articles, but one year was enough - I'd get so disappointed with each issue (starting with the depression caused by those cheesy covers).

• They don't chase you. I cancelled my subscription after three isuues and they were still sending me monthly magazines for the next 6 months. When they finally stopped I never went back to RW and don't miss it any more. Other magazines for running are quite appaling as well, Womens Running is particularly bad. Well, apart from Trail Running of course. This is quarterly and always brilliant.
  • I picked up Outdoor Fitness magazine this lunchtime. I've not read it all but so far it seems pretty good. At least its a bit different.

On the whole Ultra-fit was far too "gym-bunny, get a six-pack and shave your chest" for me but I did really like reading the XXXtreme exercises (I think it was called). Reading about them, not doing them! They were the exercises that came with a health warning and were too hard for normal mortals to even attempt.

• This topic has come up on here a few times and the general opinion seems to be that the magazine is good for beginners.  i would agree with that, i have been running for 3 years now and in the early days i found the magazine hugely informative on matters of general running, nutrition, supplements, shoes, gear etc.  After 3 years of subscribing though i have noticed the same old articles come around again. credit where its due though, new contributors every now and again do mix it up a little.  i used to work on an interiors magazine and our features list was the same every year, we just rehashed the same feature with new graphics, images and expert opinion.  its the way magazines work, there is only so much to write about from one year to the next.

Personally i am a big fan of the ads and enjoy getting the little inserts etc to see what new shoes/gear etc are out. the shoe guide does seem to appear alot but i enjoy it every time.  i have made several purchase in the past as a direct cosequence of seeing an ad in runners world.

althogh all the info is available on line i have some weird sense of loyalty as it did help me stick to running in those early days when i had weight to lose and found it a struggle to get motivated, so i probably will stick with my subscription for now!

• I've subscribed to the mag for a long time, not sure how many years but even I've got fed up of it so what exactly will I miss out online if I cancel my dd?
  • i enjoy the magazine, but this month's was very poor. even more recipes than usual, even more adverts than usual, a bikila article based on no fresh interviews, and a barefoot running article (by a normally excellent writer) which went absolutely nowhere. plus, they seem to have got rid of that feature where a coach analyses someone's training diary - which i found pretty interesting. let's hope next month's is better
  • Well I no longer have a subscription, I did did not renew it when it was due because I got a bit bored with it. Also the "non subscriber bits"  on here were getting read less and less by me. I tend to agree that RW is great for beginners.
  • I gave up on RW after they did a double page spread on tying your shoe laces. As others have said; it's fine for new runners but becomes less useful once you've got a few miles under your belt.
  • I think that quote "it's fine for new runners" gets to the heart of it.

It's like those photography mags that are aimed at people who've just got their first SLR and will buy the mag twice or wedding mags that people only buy when they're planning their (first, LOL) wedding: doesn't matter if they just rotate the articles every few issues.

Far too often the main cover stories are 'lose weight in a month' or 'get the body you want - fast!'

From the times I've got some PDF versions of the American RW, it seems much more interesting for those who enjoy running for the running itself. A much wider range of articles, features and interviews. 

• Lose weight by eating chocolate cake

Get faster by eating curry

I'll say no more

• Its crap. This forum is the only decent bit of it.

When I read the US version (back in 2007) it was loads better than the UK version. Suprised that few people try Athletics weekly..ok, there might be some stuff on field events now and again, but its easily the best Athletics mag around I reckon.

Anyway, how long will 'magazines' last??

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I agree with all of you. I decided to subscribe and am now on 4th mag and I also am disappointed. Problem is I've been a more serious runner now for a few years and have gained a lot of info through this website, other websites and a few books - and the mag doesn't really tell me anything I don't already know.A few years ago I probably would have found the mag a lot more informative.

Totally agree about the covers - find a bit embarrassing. I enjoy the articles about famous runners - why don't they put them on the front. 

I also enjoy cooking - but the recipes in RW are all a bit silly.

I'll probably stick with it for 12 months and then cancel.

• BrizoBrizo ✭✭✭

same here. I got back to the mag after a couple of years out and thought that the last one was very poor with too many adverts. I agree i think this is aimed at new runners.

What extra stuff could be included? They may listen and include it ya never know. My 10p is as follows:

Better Athlete section with stories

Better food section for ideas

More Stretching and strength training ideas

Less Adverts

Links from RW Forums on hot topics