toilet tactics

My wife finds herself unable to "unburden" herself on race days (before the race)
By contrast I'm infuriatingly "efficient" in that respect.

what can she do to make sure she does a healthy number two before the race starts?

is it about food/actions on the race day morning or food the day before or even overall diet?

I'm sure a hot curry the night before would do the trick but thats a bit too drastic and probably too diuretic as well. Want her to remain hydrated but start races a touch lighter!

Any advice please?

BTW - apologies if the subject matter is a little too base for any of you but I've tried to put it all as subtly as possible.

Comments

• Has she tried inserting a finger and wriggling it around?
    This will act like a homemade serpodrity
    I hope this helps
  • Sometimes people have sex to induce birth. image
  • My prerace meal is a spagetti bolonese. Plenty of tomatoes, onions and courgettes in the sauce-Keep the salt content low. Make sure you get up 2-3 hours before the race start. If all else fails have sex with her as above ;0)
  • Zulu Warrior image

Geordie boy - The OH is also super efficient in that area. To make sure i have unburdened pre race/pre lsr, i have a big mug of super strong freshly ground coffee (something scientific about coffee having a stimulative effect on the colon) and a bowl of porridge (2-3 hours before race) and that sorts me right out.  I have a mug of decaf green tea (same size as big mug fresh coffee) straight after coffee to balance out dehydrating effects of coffee. IMHO i would not recommend a hot curry the night before, i find spicy food pre race plays total havoc with my system, but then we are all different image 

I try to stick to the no salad/high citrus 24 hours before a race rule, as the extra fibre makes me want to go too much. If the coffee/porridge doesnt work,  one of my friends  does a core workout the night before a big run. The belly movement really gets her digestive system going image

• Hi,

I have managed to solve this problem over the past two years.  I have either a lasagne or curry the night before (makes no difference to me though) and then have a cup of senna tea before going to bed.

It was recommended to me by a fellow club runner and certainly does the job in 'clearing you out'.  In fact I'm usually so empty afterwards I must have lost a stone!!!!!  I generally get up, have a glass of orange juice with my porridge and wait for the previous night's senna tea to work.  Doesn't take long  image

The packet was given to me but I believe you can by it at Holland & Barratt.

Good luck!

• "is it about food/actions on the race day morning or food the day before or even overall diet?"

A bit of all of the above, really. Plus getting into a set routine that works, then sticking to it.

People with spinal cord injuries are often taught in rehab how to re-train their bowel so that they can reliably 'empty out' at whatever time of day suits them best. I'm fairly sure the general advice they are given would work just as well for able bodied people. Again, I think it's mostly about routine. 

For me, an early rise and a mug of coffee does the trick.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭
    go play hide and seek - never fails.
  • i don't race much but do train early morning and never have trouble dropping a little brown onion before i run
  • TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭
    Perhaps she could try eating dried dates or prunes (the ones that are moist) - at least half a pack the night before is likely to do the trick the next morning.
  • Haha. Likely to keep 'doing the trick' for the rest of the morning too!
  • Thanks folks

we'll try

a) senna tea

b) coffe and green tea

c) spag bol

d) sex - but of course remembering the immortal words of Burgess Meredith as Rocky's trainer, "women weaken legs"

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Two huge mugs of black coffee a couple of hours before the race sorts me out whether I am bunged up or free flowing.

• Nerves mean that whatever I do I'll be needing a poo immediately before the start anyway.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Don't underestimate the power of routine... my body has been trained to recognise a glass of orange juice mixed with water as its cue to perform. Works before all LSRs and races.

• Graeme Obree (cyclist) suggests peppermint tea.

I agree with literatin about routine although things can be different on race day if you suffer from nerves.

• My problem is 'the other side'. I tend to need to pee four or five times before a race, no matter how much or little I drink, only to find I need to pee again soon after the gun has gone off (that's not a euphemism, by the way). Number 2s tend not to be a problem for me until after I've done a race - when, actually, it's no problem because there's usually a loo available somewhere.

• Coffee first thing for sure!

• Routine. Try to go every morning right after you wake up, and it'll be nothing new come race day.

• Zulu Warrior wrote (see)
    Has she tried inserting a finger and wriggling it around? This will act like a homemade serpodrity I hope this helps

Sick and wrong.

• oii wrote (see)

IMHO i would not recommend a hot curry the night before, i find spicy food pre race plays total havoc with my system, but then we are all different image 

Me too.  Likely to keep me up all night with stomach cramps.

• Fergosi wrote (see)
    oii wrote (see)

IMHO i would not recommend a hot curry the night before, i find spicy food pre race plays total havoc with my system, but then we are all different image 

Me too.  Likely to keep me up all night with stomach cramps.

conversely - my marathon PB is off the back of a hot curry the evening before...image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

Just wondering how Geordie Boy's OH was managing in the year and a bit between his OP and his response yesterday.....hope she's not too bunged up image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I'd suggest a nice hot water drunk straight when you wake up, and then finish eating 3hours before your race start.

the adrenaline and nature will then set things to work.

Getting it right for training takes a lot more sorting I find, especially when the session is demanding. Fruit and dairy need to be very carefully taken on board I find.