Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Whether it's IMUK, IM Wales, Outlaw, Challenge, The Brutal, Forestman, The Big Woody or you're jumping on a plane or a train to foreign fields, hopefully this thread can be as successful as last year's was. I really valued this as a melting pot for views, opinions, wibbles, hints, advice & experience. The "Fink for Outlaw" thread feels a bit narrow, so hopefully this can be a busy place to share your journey!  

So who's doing what this year?

slower: IM Wales

Comments

• Grand idea Slower..

Slagiatt: IM Wales , Outlaw

• Slower great stuff i didnt want to resurrect the thread as the Fink one popped up and i didnt want to tread on anyones toes, but it is a bit narrow and dosent seem to be generating the cross race discussion we had last year

I am up for Slateman and then Outlaw this year but am slowly coming back from injury at the moment hoping to start running again next week
  • With Outlaw being early this year, there's lots of scope to do 2 events, isn't there. Looks like being a nice summer.

Lovely of you both to contribute, folks... although i'm worried about you dipping in, Max, tbh. You appear to be carrying some sort of injury curse around with you this year. I can hardly talk though. i've barely started 2012 training, but i've had more illness and injury in 2 months than in the whole of 2011.

So when's the fixie coming out?

• slower: IM Wales
    Mrs SA Outlaw
    SA IM Wales, but have got Manchester marathon first, then The Hairy Arse, oh yes plus the DIY half IM, possibly looking at the Thunder Run as well

Its only when you put them down on these threads there looks to be loads I'm doing this year.

Me and Mrs SA are out at Jodrell Bank Cycle sportive next week first event of the year, 80 miles, haven't been out the bike enough, its gonna hurt, been doing loads of running, 18 mile this weekend, last weekend did first brick of the year, 15 mile bike followed by 15 mile run.

• Just the Outlaw Iron Distance for me this year and I am not following Fink other than to ensure my long bike and run are long enough each week.  Plan for the year is Beaver Middle, Outlaw, possibly the Thunder run with SA et al and then the Vit.  I will throw in an Epic Events 3.8k swim or two as well in  the lake district.

Haven't done a brick yet and haven't done a swim session of over an hour either.  Did a 10 mile run before work today which is the longest of the year so far and I plan to increase it by a mile a week going forward.  Longest bike so far is 3 hours but getting consistnet commuting miles in. 

Not too bad on the injury front though which is key and my weight is back down to levels not seen for 6 years which is helping the running and hills on the bike.  Decent consistentcy for a number of weeks now if less than massive individual sessions.   

Mrs SA Outlaw
    SA IM Wales
    Darkness: Outlaw

• On the injury front i've had ear issues that have pretty well kept me out of the pool for 2 months .. but back in the water  from today barring further issues .  Seem to have picked up a bit of a lower back issue after last weekends run.. but weirdly seems to ease off when training so bike and gym sessions have been ok this week ... will see how it feels on the run tomorrow. 

summary of training efforts year to date .

Swim , maybe 2 decent (more than a mile) swims this year  image

Bike.. couple of longish turbo sessions, and an average of around 75 miles a week on the road, mainly comuting

Running.. Dismal .. longest run of 7 miles .. took 1hr 20 + ...  On a brighter note the longest id done before IMW last year was just over 10 miles.. and i only managed that the once a few weeks before race day.  So by that standard i am actually way ahead of plan  image 

• Got outlaw lined up and hopefully thunderun with a few halfs and other running races this year but wedding 14th Aprial so thats the biggest thing planned. With look should have a few marathons and maybe a sneaky half ironman or two once I've setalled down and know what I'm doing (would a first)

Mrs SA Outlaw
    SA IM Wales
    Cake Outlaw

• For anyone thats not doing Outlaw, if you volunteer  (Pirate feed station) you get free entry into any of the swim events the day before Outlaw, I will be attempting the 5k one

• SA..its after my IM....so not sure I will fancy a swim but will take my wetsuit.......
    I would love to go back and do IMW but will leave that to 2013 i think.....

My bike training is the best I have ever done........so waiting for a fall now to stop me dead.....
  • Slag - do you wear earplugs when swimming?
  • your text looks in the right place to me
  • kittenkat wrote (see)

Outlaw but I'm close to pulling out, not because I'm injured or can't do it, but because I've lost the drive to actually want to do it.

But I'm working through that with some sage advice from good friends.

We'll see.

what !!! and pass up the opportunity to hang out with the Pirate massive ??  surely not  image .   Hope you get your outlaw mojo back soon KK .  
  • Slow the fixies and MTB have been out all winter my road and TT bike havent hardly turned a wheel since Ironman Wales
    KK my mojo is a bit down compared to normal so i have shifted the goal from sub 11 to have a nice day out with the pirate clan suddenly pressures off enjoying what training i can do at the mo and am gonna keep it unstructured and loose this year
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    KK hang in there!

Mojo will be back soon as soon as weather starts improving, some of us slow uns need your wisdom and guidance along with all the other pirates.
  • KK I hear what you say image at the moment i am full of how easy i am gonna take it cos i am coming back from injury but its a fair bet i will thrash myself to death on race day image
    I hope you get your mojo back and your hearts not in it pull out its only a race gotta do whats rright for you not everybody else. I admired Lee the Peas decision to pull when she realised she just couldnt commit what was needed this year
    Mrs SA Outlaw
    SA IM Wales
    Cake: Outlaw
    OrangeCannon: Lanza, Outlaw, Wales

Decided this year to do Lanza as I always fancied it... Trying to go as well as possible so am trying to go for it and hopefully get into the top 15%..... I am getting tired at the moment though (I know that's the point of training)......
    Outlaw was going to be the fast one
    IM Wales as I enjoyed it so much last year I couldn't resist it

Lots of big weeks at the moment, just had 2 weeks easy for a half marathon but still feel hammered
    Got a training camp in 3 weeks time - getting a little worried about that as well, ( you know, that mixing with proper triathletes, am I fast enough to keep up etc etc. I know I am but I never feel like it...)
    Swimming is a bit static
    Bike feels quite strong but no idea if I've got any faster
    Running feels way stronger than last year
  • slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    Mrs SA Outlaw
    SA IM Wales
    Slimshady: Embrunman

Great idea to resurect this thread! My triathlons this year start with the Stowe Oly then Bala ( got to be better weather than last year!) and then Embrunman again.
    Training is steady at the moment with nothing spectacular but some consistency. I am doing the Silverstone Half marathon next sunday if anyone else is there?
    Mrs SA Outlaw
    SA IM Wales
    NV: Outlaw

Marshman as a warm up in early May. Not sure what else I'll do. I want to try to PB at half marathon off the back of the Outlaw fitness.

Just recovering from shoulder ligament injury after a crash on the bike. Back running again without too many issues, but not going to be swimming for a while yet. Thanet 20 mile race tomorrow if the shoulder continues to behave.
    Mrs SA Outlaw
    SA IM Wales
    Hope: Outlaw

Really looking forward to it. Will be nice to a big Pirate one again. image

Also doing the Marshman in May.

• Nice one STIL,   good thread. 

Mrs SA Outlaw
    SA IM Wales
    Jaffa: Outlaw

It was always my plan to have a year off long distance tri this year,  then the Pirate ship setting sail for Outlaw made me think twice,  it should be a good party and I feel I need to earn the right to party so I've entered.  
    Going to blag it off the back of no structured training though,  got a couple of marathons coming up in the next 7 weeks and then LeJog in 3 months time so that'll do.  My swimming is so gash that spending any significant time on that won't make a huge amount of difference.

Mrs SA Outlaw
    SA IM Wales
    Meldy: Outlaw

Also settling in for the Marshman/Outlaw combi and a few marathons thrown in towards the end of the year 

Coming in to March and the training is getting interesting and the weather is getting better   image
    Mrs SA Outlaw
    SA IM Wales
    Meldy: Outlaw
    Spongecake= Outlaw

Apart from my little mishap last week training going ok,I think.Kind of following a Fink get me round plan.Maybe go back to Helvelyn in September if I survive this one.
  • Slim Enbruman again! You glutton image me and bruv are doing the MK Code breaker Collosuss on Easter monday are you playing ?
  • Oh and a great niggle free 3 hour ride on my singlespeed cyclo crosser and i didnt fall off once image
  • slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭
    Max - just checked my shifts and I seem to have that monday off!
    I'll check to see if there's entries left and if so - I'm in!
  • and it just so happens I shall be in Devon on Easter Monday!!   Such is life   image

Codebreaker was a nice course !