Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Hi NV

if you read this in time look out for the tail end charlie tomorrow at the Thanet 20 - tis me! image

Should have nice cheery marshal vest proclaiming my status image

• slower: IM Wales
    Slagiatt: IM Wales , Outlaw
    Mrs SA Outlaw
    SA IM Wales
    Darkness: Outlaw
    Cake: Outlaw
    OrangeCannon: Lanza, Outlaw, Wales
    Slimshady: Embrunman
    NV: Outlaw
    Hope: Outlaw
    Jaffa: Outlaw
    Meldy: Outlaw
    Spongecake= Outlaw
    Cat5: Outlaw (Marshman warmup)

Enjoy Planet Fanet, Podds and NV

• Loving that a few people are "putting it out there". Awesome, slim, that you're going back to Embrunman. Must be tought as teak. Love your "top 15%" ambition, OC, and that you're doing three events. Thoroughly un-surprised that you're back after all, Jaffa. Despite swimming like a toddler!

A good mate of mine who'd fallen out fo love with WTC events after having done 9, has climbed back on to the corporate bandwagon after they announced the new qualification rules for Kona.... 12 WTC IM's and 3 consecutive years, is it? He's doing Lanza and Wales too. Must be tapped in the head like you. What's wrong with doing Florida and Austria.

I guess you'll either re-discover your mojo or you won't KK. I won't try to molly-coddle you along.

I'm managing about 7-8 hours a week at the moment. Just going to bimble along until Muffin has done Outlaw, then put the hammer down for 12 weeks before IMW. Doing the Long Weekend and the HairyArse before that and a few sportives. It's starting to dawn on me now that as the wife moves up through the gears, I'm in imminent danger of being "chicked" on the run as well as in the pool.

That said.... my swimming is MILES better than last year. Hammered a 400m-ish tt today to log a time on Meldy's Pirate Swim challenge. 400m-ish because I lost count as usual. Frustratingly, I was told that I stopped after 14. Dick head. 

• Cake: Outlaw
    marshallini: Outlaw
    Mrs SA: Outlaw
    SA: IM Wales
    slower: IM Wales
    Spongecake: Outlaw

After 7 years of no cycling or swimming I made a comeback late last June.  The initial intention was just to do Bala standard. The training went well and as I've be threating to do another long distance tri since 2005  I thought I'd take advantage of this momentum and carry it on, so I enterd the Outlaw.

Quick question:  would it be unwise to do an Olympic distance race 2 weeks before the Outlaw?

• That would all depend on how you 'race' it ...

I wouldnt think it would do any harm but looking at the plans 2 weeks out of IM then you would be on 50% intensity and/or distance

Looking at your training I reckon you could fit one in before breakfast
  • If you did the olympic as a training day and practised your ironman pacing it would be great if you get caught up in the event ( like i would!) and cane yourself to death not so good image depends on your willpower

P!ssing down in good old Cornwall and as runnings off the menu gonna power walk for a couple of hours if i can motivate Wilson the mighty irondog to get off his new bed image
  • slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Pissing it down here and have come back in after two hours on the bike.  meant to do more but my hands and feet were like blocks of ice!

I can see the turbo looming this afternoon.image

• Lovely walk with the dogs the rain stopped and the sun came out BUT hip was niggling after 30 mins didnt get any worse but although bikings not a problem i think runnings a way off yet. Perhaps i had better pack walking boots instead of trainers for Outlaw image
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Sleet is now turning to snow here, but as it's a rest day after Ballbuster, that's fine with me! Enjoy the turbo, Slim...

Max, sorry your hip is still bothering you. Sometimes walking is worse than running - have you tried a little jog?

• Ridgebackmax wrote (see)
    If you did the olympic as a training day and practised your ironman pacing it would be great if you get caught up in the event ( like i would!) and cane yourself to death not so good image depends on your willpower

I've no will power at all when it comes to racing. The course has potential to be very fast so I would be caning it for a good time. 

Think I'll give it a miss then.

Cheers,

Chris.

• Joddly i had planned some jogging in the local park tomorrow at work as its nice and flat and soft underfoot but i really dont want to make it worse and miss more training i think i will give it a go as its a short walk back to the office if it really flare up
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Cake: Outlaw
    Joddly: IM Wales

Hope all goes well tomorrow, Max.
  • Cake: Outlaw
    Dubai Dave: Outlaw
    Joddly: IM Wales

Did Adu Dhabi International Tri 1.5/100/10 yesterday in 4-23, 2nd fastest M50 bike split out of 42 and my first ever 1.5K swim in under 30 mins were the bits to be proud of, the puking on the run was the nadir. I have 2 x Sprints, 2 x Olympics and Marshman before Outlaw. 

I'm glad that this thread has started up as to be honest I haven't opened Ironfit since last June, my training is pretty well what I happen to think  is needed to get through what is peak race season for me.

• How much wonga did you win for that, Dave? IN tens of thousands... save the zeros. Does it merit a Race Report? Would love to give that one a try some time.

Slightly chillier here. Got out for a spirited 33M ride on a horribly blowy, wet day here. And then really rubbed some salt in the wounds by turning it into a brick. I hate bricks. Could somebody please come on and reassure me that their horribleness is worthwhile? image 

• There horribleness is indeed very worthwhile image
  • I hope their worthwhile Slower!
    I was windbattered for half of my 3 hour ride yesterday, then got blown home. Wanted a rest day today to tagged an hour run on the end.

I regretted it the moment I got home as I felt absolutely crap. Much better today though.

• Slower: Didn't win a penny this week! Hopefully will make up for that in the next two races when there aren't all these superstar veterans flying in from around the world. You should give Abu Dhabi a go one day, its incredibly well organised, you  get your own chair to sit on in transition! The water bottles at the aid stations are collectors items. The down side is that there are no age group prizes for anything other than the long course and you have to pay seperately for the event T shirt, but then entry is quite cheap compared to similar events at around 80 pounds for the short course.

• In the office by 08:30 this morning after a 2k swim. Not sure whether this is a positive development, in that it's evidenced the art of the possible. I usually struggle to get in by 09:30 without the swim! It may be that I don't enjoy another lie-in for a while.

Good session, Cat! A tasty 4 hours. Glad to hear of anybody else sharing the brick misery. A lovely weekend of training has fired me up for the week.

Perhaps I'll enter the long course at AD when they start paying Appearance Money to tail-end age groupers, Dave. Sort of like a "laterne rouge" prize?

• Good weekend training from me

40 mile ride on Saturday

18 mile very wet & windy run Sunday

Would of swam as well but the pool was closed all weekend for a gala, bleeding swimming club alway take over the pool, you would think they could find somewhere else to have a swimming gala image

• The trial run in thepark was not a resounding sucssess image hip started kicking off after 5 mins just grumbling so carried on and did 25 mins then pulled stumps its grumbling away now so looks like its back to cycling swimming for now. Looking back to last year i had a very similar crash and injury in january and managed IMW but didnt manage to get running and training properly till late march so i am hoping this dosent hang around to long. Just looked at the refunds policy and if i am not running again with 12 weeks to go i will be manning the feed station.
  • 20 mile race yesterday for me. My first at that distance. I was about 5 minutes quicker than I'd expected, but about 5 minutes slower than I was hoping for at the 13 mile mark. There should be some sort of UKAA rule about putting all the hills in the second half of a race.

On the up side, my crashed shoulder hasn't reacted at all to the running. Getting a bit jittery about the lack of outdoor bike miles so far this year though.
  • Force 9 gale training for me today

Oh, and someone turned the temperature down as well !
  • Due to the vagaries of work travel and family life, my lunchtime bike became a run, and the evening turbo session (to allow Mrs Cat5 to go out) will be done with a house full of her guests...

It was lovely out of the wind today.

• indoor bike for me today with 90mins spinning ...

... followed by a hard jacuzzi and sauna
  • WildWill.... wrote (see)
    indoor bike for me today with 90mins spinning ... ... followed by a hard jacuzzi and sauna

That is my sort of brick.image

Recovery / technique swim for me rather than a rest day as diary is sticky back end of the week. Spent some time working on bi-lateral breathing, only result is back ache.

Have just discovered Green and Blacks dark choclate with hazlenut and raisins. Very nice.

• The weather gods weren't playing fair today .. 13 miles into work against a headwind , consoling myself with the prospect of a tail wind assisted fast ride home , but oh no, the buggers turned the wind around for another slog home against hurricane hornchurch .. Hope it settles by tomorrow.
  • You cycled today?? image

One of my dogs got physically blown off his feet this morning (and we're not talking small dog here)..............funnily enough I decided I wouldn't cycle to work today after that - any guilt being replaced by the decision that staying alive was healthier image

• A bright clear, cool and breezy day in Dubai so cycled pre dawn, hopefully will run tonight.

Slower: my mate won the laterne rouge at Abu Dhabi last year, this is what happens when you enter a race with a 200K cycle leg and never train further than 501

• Rest day for me today, first full rest for 10 days