Started 8 wk beginner's schedule today

Comments

• Seems like we've all got post christmas blues at the moment, not much running getting done or at least not posting about it much, myself included.

Norfolklass, are you seeing a doctor or physio at the moment for your knee issues? This does seem to be going on for a while now. I'm assuming that the lack of posts is down to a lack of running or pain when you do run?

I am running, more or less without problems, with a few 2.5 mile runs at lunchbreaks and a parkrun yesterday in 26 42. 

Plan this week is for at least 2 30 min runs plus a lunch run or 2 at work.
    If all goes well then 2 35 min runs the following week, with a 5 min increase each week thereafter.
    That should see me at 55 min runs before the Trowse 10k at Easter
    Fingers crossed that my knees behave themselves till then!

• Hi 

I am returning to running after a very long break - nearly 30 years!!!  Besides being obviously younger then, I was also a lot fitter and slim.  I am now carrying far too much weight, about 2 stone over my healthy weight range but ideally would like to be 3 stone lighter. 

I have read this thread from the beginning and it has kept me going all these weeks relating to what many of you have said, especially in relation to the progress you made each week. 

1’ve just finished week 5 of the beginners schedule and cannot believe I have managed to complete 8 mins x 3.  The first week of run1/walk 1 x 8 was so difficult that I couldn’t imagine being able to run any more than 1 minute.  This was a continuing theme at the end of every week when I thought I won’t be able to do next week’s run of 2 minutes, then 3 minutes etc. and was truly surprised when I actually managed it.  I've kept a log and find it amazing to read back and see how far (for me) Ive progressed.

On weekends I have what I call a ‘Test Run’ which is basically run for as long as I can without stopping.  On the warm up I did a brisk walk for 5 mins then a few 1 min jog/1 min walks and the 1 min jogs felt like 5 seconds so I must be getting fitter.  The last two week’s 'Test Runs' I have only managed 10-11 minutes where I covered an average of 0.86 miles and both times ended outside a particular house with a lamppost in the garden – now nicknamed ‘Lampost House’.  Well yesterday I was determined to get past ‘Lampost House’ and once I passed it, pushed myself to carry on as I knew it wasn’t far to reach the one mile mark.   I actually run just a tad over one mile (1.05 miles to be precise!) Think that is my first proper milestone.  image  The not so good news - it took me 12.54 mins.  I know its very very slow but I’m not so hung up on the time for now as I hope to improve on that once I can manage longer distances - and drop the pounds!

Next week’s run is 12 mins x 3 and looks an absolute killer.  Think I'm going to add in an extra week and do 10 mins x 3 instead and try for the 12 mins next week.  We’ll see….
  • Ellie welcome - sounds like hasn't taken you too long to pick up even after a long gap.

I have never been  a runner - my daughter is 30 and i have several stones to lose

Have been trying to make a start on fitness the last few weeks - very slowly.  So doing a lot more walking than running - got to build up some stamina,

Have not been out the last couple of weeks - had hubby in hospital for a few days so with work and to/fro as well as bit of housework just had no time - then boiler decided not to play and no hot water (so washing when clean is one thing - but something else when hot and sweaty so decided to give it a miss)

Have been out the last couple of days - yesterday 3.1km in 30min - occasional slow jog between lampposts on flat and downhill - last km all uphill

Today walked 6.1km in 1hr 10mins - not speedy but kept steady pace up and downhill.  Knee a little tender so resting tomorrrow

Will keep you all updated on how I get on - rest of you keep up good progress

• Hello again,

Well done Ellie and Ma'amy for your efforts since my last post.
    We all have to start somewhere, and i've no doubt that you will both continue to see the benefits and rewards of your running/walking as you go on. I think everyone on here can relate to your suprise at what you can do when you try!

Done 2 30min run, first on Monday, approx 3.5 miles in just over 30 mins (measured a 15 min outwards leg and then turned back, but was a bit slower on the home leg) and today a measured 3.6 mile route in 30.06.

Have a lunch run set up tomorrow over 2.5 miles with a work mate or 2, and plan a 3.1mile(5k) run at a set pace on the treadmill on saturday. The knees are behaving at the moment, so providing the rest of this weeks runs go OK, i'll be doing 2 35min runs next week.

• Evening!

Note to self: must remember to post before I forget what runs I've done! 

It's finally nealy arrived - I'm doing the Legends of Sherwood 10k on Saturday night so no running until then now to make sure I'm in the best shape! I have roped Mr Cheetah into doing it with me! image I'm telling people we're going for a "dirty weekend" image

The tent is ready to go, and I've invested in an inflatable mattress as I wouldn't fancy sleeping on the floor after a NORMAL run, let alone a hilly foresty muddy obstacle race. We have our headtorches, and two big packs of baby wipes(I might get some more though to be on the safe side!) and I AM REALLY REALLY EXCITED!!!!!!!! imageimageimage

I did a 5 mile run on Sunday, 9.45 on Monday and 5.32 miles with the club yesterday - and now I'm resting my legs ready for the big day, just one more weight session to do!

Snails - GO FOR A RUN!!!! you PROMISED!!!! image

Everyone else - GO FOR A RUN!!!!! image

Hi Ellie welcome to the thread - glad you've enjoyed reading it, I skip back to the beginning every now and again to see how far i've come! I've got a house on my route with a lamppost in the garden too, I thought of you when I ran past it on Monday! image

Iain - glad your knee is behaving, and Norfolklass, sorry to hear that your isn't.... Mr Cheetah has been having problems with his recently and has spent half the week with ice on it and the other half with a heat pad - his seems to flare up every now and again then be OK for a bit, then flare up again - he's hoping it's OK for Saturday.

Well done on your walking/jogging Ma'amy - you'll be able to get out more now the weather is getting better!

Right, off to get that last arm workout out of the way! Happy running everyone! xxx

• Hello everyone, long time no post! Hope you're all well and your walking/running is going to plan. After a crazy busy couple of weeks at work including a trade show last weekend, I haven't run for about three weeks. This has been a good thing, although it hasn't felt like a good thing and I've really missed it. But it's meant my knee has had a chance to recover a bit, and my calf muscles have finally stopped hurting after my disastrous attempt at running barefoot-stylee!

So I headed out this morning to see where things were at. The good news is that I did 6k - I was worried that my fitness would have really dropped off but it didn't feel as hard as I thought it might after a few weeks off. The bad news is that I did still get a couple of knee twinges, but nowhere near as bad as before. Whenever I did, I started concentrating on how I was picking up my feet behind me after they'd hit the ground - something mentioned in the book I've just read - apparently you should almost hit your bum with your heels, and by concentrating on picking up your feet you stop thinking about how your feet are hitting the ground, and you hit the ground more with your midfoot than your heel, which is kind of what barefoot technique is about.

I've also found some knee exercises to do, although I haven't actually done them yet, and invested in a foam roller, so I'm going to sort my knee problems with the belt-and-braces approach. And if I'm still getting knee pain after a month or so of doing all that, then I think a visit to the doc or a sports physio might be in order. Also, rather than stupidly pushing on to 10k I thought I'd quit while I was ahead, and will head out again on Sunday morning and see how that goes. I don't think I'l do the Trowse 10k at Easter but instead I'm aiming towards the new half marathon at Holkham in May, as I've already paid to enter it!

I also tried on a pair of Merrell Glove minimal shoes, as part of the whole barefoot running investigation. They're SO comfortable!!! Like putting on slippers! Obviously I haven't tried running in them, but I'm seriously thinking about investing in a pair...

Cheetah, the very best of luck to you and Mr Cheetah for tomorrow's night time craziness!!! Have a GREAT run, please come and tell us all about it when you've recovered!

Right, off to find those knee exercises...! x
  • Hi everyone image

Welcome to the thread Ellie - what you posted reminds me of exactly how i felt when i was doing the beginners schedule (and i'm still feeling it on the programme i'm following now, lol) - but the good news is that it gets better every week. Well done for getting back into the running after a 30 year break too.

Cheetah - you are running great as always, and i can't believe that 10K has come round already - wish you lots of luck, and hope you and Mr Cheetah really enjoy it. Can't wait to hear about it.

Norfolklass - i'm glad to hear you were able to go out and do 6K after not running for 3 weeks - thats very good going. Bit wick about the knee niggles, but hopefully they were just protesting cos it was your first run in a wee while. I have invested in a foam roller too, but it hasn't arrived yet - i've no idea what to do when i do get it though (apart from popping some Paracetamol, cos i hear it is painful) - ah well, no pain no gain they say!!

007 - you are progressing very well in your running times (and covering good distance too). You'll be well ready for the Trowse 10K at Easter.

Ma'amy - i hope your husband is better now, and that you've been able to get out for some walks/runs.

Minty - hope all is good with you....have you been out for any runs at all?

I am on my second week of 'ease into 10K' - very similar to the beginners schedule. Each week has a 5 min warm up walk and a 5 min cool down walk and the programme lasts for ten weeks, and its based on running three days a week. I'm being really careful this time not to do two days in a row. My knees are slightly achy, but not like before and not in one particular spot, so i'm thinking its just 'not being used to it' kind of pain, which i would have had before anyway. Last week was run 3min, walk 1min x5. This week i'm on run 4min, walk 1min x5. I'm definately much better at being motivated to run when i'm following a plan.

Happy running everyone imagexx

• Snails!! Hello! So glad to hear you're still running and have a found a plan to follow, and more importantly that your knees are all better image I agree about needing some structure or a plan, I think I'm going to sit down and work something out that includes scheduling knee exercises and using the roller otherwise it's just going to sit in the corner collecting dust!

Hello and welcome rachel, ma'amy, Sian and Ellie. Just had a quick read back to catch up with where everyone is at. Well done for keeping going with the walking, running, swimming and skipping.

Rachel, have you found a new plan? 6 miles is 9.65k so you've already nearly finished the bridge to 10k! Did you want to run further, or faster? I think from what I've read on here it's a good idea to stick at a distance for a few weeks, rather than to keep pushing week after week. I've learned that lesson the hard way! Have you got any races planned?

Ma'amy, I was never a runner until last May, and I've got some weight to lose too. Since last May I've lost a stone without really doing any dieting, it's all been through exercising more, but I know if I want to lose another stone I'm going to have to eat more healthily as well. We can do it! I hope your hubby is recovered now? Well done on your 6.1k walk, hope your knee tenderness has gone.

Sian, how is the 8 week plan going for you? I've got no idea about skipping, but as it's more exercise it can only be a good thing, right?? When is your race for life?

Ellie, well done for returning to running! Like Snails says, you're so right about thinking you'll never manage to run for 3mins, then 5mins, then 8mins. I seem to remember week 6 is a bit of a shock to the system: running nonstop for 20mins!!! Lots of people, me included, said they were dreading it and never thought they'd be able to do it. It's not easy, but it is doable, and the sense of achievement afterwards is fab image I think that's when you start training your mind as well as your body. You'll be doing laps past Lamppost House in no time!

RoadRunner, how are your knees??

Secret Agent, I'm so glad to hear your knees are behaving after having to start again. Did you ever get to the bottom of exactly what the problem was? It sounds like you're in good form if your parkrun time was 26:42! I've never run 5k in under 30mins, and I've slowed my pace right down so as not to put too much stress on my knees. Pretty sure I won't be running the Trowse 10k but I'll come and cheer you on!

Keeping my fingers crossed that we all stay injury-free! xxx
  • Hi Everyone Many thanks for the welcome.  This is such a great thread and probably one of the friendliest and inspiring I’ve read on any forum. 

Ma’amy –  You are doing a good pace on the walking, especially as they include uphill bits.  Last summer, when I decided I needed to take some exercise, I started walking, probably about 2.5 – 3 mph.  I didn’t have a plan and just went on random walks for about an hour or two.  It was the best way for me to start building up my fitness.   I’ve no idea why in January I then decided to turn walking into jogging – albeit slowly! 

Iain – Good way of spending your lunch time by fitting in a run and I imagine really sets you up for the afternoon – unlike myself who tends to get drowsy after lunch! 

Cheetah/ Norfolklass/Snails  - I’m glad you’re all still posting here as I’ve found your running posts really interesting as you seem to continually push yourselves all the time and its obviously paid off judging by the runs you are doing now.  I’m someone that could quite easily quit and one of the challenges of running is overcoming the barriers of pain, distance or just getting out the door!   When I ran all those years ago, I was running with a boyfriend at the time who pushed the limits every week but now I have to try and do that myself!   

Snails – Hope you knee is recovering so you can get on with your schedule.  The Ease into 10K sounds like a good training plan to do with your knee problem.  I totally agree about having a plan and it does give you motivation to work hard to achieve it.  The beginners schedule has given me the structure and discipline I need (even though I’ve altered it this week!) but its still a challenge every week.   

Cheetah – You must be super fit now with all the running you are doing and definitely worthy of your name!  Your Sherwood run sounds like it’s going to be really good fun running through a forest in the night.  That first beer will taste fab and I bet the after party will be a great atmosphere after all those events.  Looking forward to hearing all about it. 

Norfolklass – Barefoot running sounds interesting!  Its great having a goal such as your half marathon – just the thought of that makes me feel tired.  Interesting what you say about training the mind.  I noticed on one run I was thinking about something so much that I didn’t notice how far or how hard the run was and as I soon as my mind was back on the running, it became a bit of a slog again.  Its amazing how a distraction in the mind can take away the feeling of pain! 

Hello and apologies to anyone I've missed out. 

I’ve added in another week on my schedule and done 3 x 10 instead of 3 x 12 as it was just too much to contemplate.  Day 1 wasn’t too bad but Day 2 on Wednesday for some reason was hard going and I ended up taking longer walk breaks.  On a positive note, I was thinking that I’ve now done 30 minutes running in one session compared with 8 minutes five weeks ago so at least the endurance is going in the right direction even if the timing is still very slow!  Day 3 should have been last night but when I got home spent 2 hours cleaning an extremely dirty car inside and out so felt I'd done enough exercise for the day.  Will be doing the run tonight and if I'm honest, not really looking forward to it after Wednesday.

Hope everyone’s having a good weekend.
  • Hi everyone,

Well i did my run 4min, walk 1min x5 today - i almost didn't go but i was glad that i did. Its funny, i read somewhere that you can regret not having gone for a run, but that you never regret it when you push yourself out the door and actually do the run - i always feel better having done it and today was no exception.

Ellie - i think it was a good idea for you to add in run 10, walk 1 x3 - i remember finding the jump from 8 mins to 12 mins really difficult. In fact, the programme i'm doing sounds really similar to yours. I laughed when i read that you quit sometimes and that your challenges are distance, pain and getting out the door - i thought 'welcome to my world' - you sound exactly like me, lol.

Today has been the first time i have found the run 'easier' (though not easy) - i read what Norfolklass had posted above about 'running style' and how you should almost kick your bum with your heels - i actually found it less effort when i tried lifting my legs more cos i usually don't hardly lift them at all.

I wonder how Cheetah and Mr Cheetah are getting on at their run....can't wait to hear the craic.

Enjoy your weekend everyone imagexx

• Is it just me or has this thread suddenly "woken up"?

We all seem to be running and posting again.

Well done every one for recent efforts, its hard work but worth it in the end.
    I do get a bit niggly when I cant run, either because of injury or other factors stopping me getting out.
    It annoys me because I put a lot of effort into getting fit again, and to be prevented from maintaining that level, and knowing it'l drop off if I'm forced to stop for a while, is very disheartening.

Lunchtime runs do give me a mental and physical boost sometimes, especially if i've had a slow morning or been behind a desk for a long time, it seems to refresh me and wake me up.
    Dont know if its the exercise, fresh air or trying not to drop the soap in a shower room full of men that sharpens the mind!!

Have completed 2 more runs since my last post, did an easy pace 2.5 miles at lunch with a workmate on Thursday, and a 5k (3.1m) in 24.52 on the treadmill yesterday, also in my lunch break.
    Tomorrows plan is a 35 min run, but not sure when i'll be able to run again after that, prob not till Friday, which will be another 35 min run. Helping at parkrun on Saturday, so may get a bit of exercise then if i'm tail end runner.

My knees aren't 100%, and I dont think they will be again as long as I keep running, but i'm learning how best to manage them, and maintain a training routine i'm happy with for now.
    Its mostly not running 2 days in a row (most of the time, cant always be avoided), wearing supports on both knees, and not pushing to progress too quickly, be it increased pace or longer distances.
    I still get aches in my right knee and lower leg, but nothing major. I find I feel it most if i'm on my feet for long periods of time, and after a longish run. While actually running, it doesn't seem to bother me too much.
    Wierd.

• Mooooorning!!!!!!

Well we did it! Our trainers have been through the washing machine and are drying out on the radiator, and the rest of our running kit is now on a hot wash, but I bet even that won't get all the mud out - there was a lot of it!!!!!

We arrived quite early to set up the tent and pick up our race packs - the race t-shirts are actually very posh and I can wear mine as something other than a nightie! We were there to watch the end of the daylight 5k race - there were only about 60 runners taking part in that one but they were very muddy and had two 7 foot vertical walls to scale before the finish. Apparently last year they were smeared with baby oil but they'd been kinder this year! Some people didn't even bother and just ran past the walls (cop outs!)

Later on as it started to get dark it was our turn - starting with a scramble over hay bales then an uphill track into the forest.  We reached the first obstacle pretty soon - a crawl under a tarpaulin through some dirt.

Much of the run was on single file narrow trails through the forest - so we could only really go as fast as the people in front as there was no margin for overtaking - I would have liked to go faster, and took every chance I could to get past the slower people. I lost Mr Cheetah just after half way!

A lot of the obstacles were the forest itself - the trail was marked out up and down very steep hills through the trees. It was pitch black in places so I'm glad my headtorch lasted. It was getting to the point where I must have been at least two thirds done, and I wasn't very muddy at all like the 5k runners had been... then I got to it..... a SEA of thick mud that I can only describe as chocolate fudge pudding, waist-height, with logs to go under less than a foot above the mud!

I took the only way possible - just dived in and came out squelching at the other end, trying and failing to shake off as much mud as possible as I ran! The next obstacle was a cargo net to scramble under - followed by a shoulder-height log to scramble OVER - I couldn't quite get up but someone gave me a leg-up and I jumped over and instead of landing gracefully on the other side as planned, I sort of kept on going round and landed on my bum instead! 

Then it was through the "spooky wood" - pretty much squeezing through spiky trees with no identifiable path - I was just following the person in front, who also had no idea where she was going! 

Soon I could hear the finish line (couldn't see a bloody thing though!)  - and after squeezing through some cobwebby-type ropes across the trees and not getting tOO tangled, I spotted those 7 foot walls in front of me. Not wanting to take trhe easy way out I asked a nice marshall for a leg-up and pulled myself over both of them, landing a bit more gracefully than when I went over the log earlier!

• I crossed the finish line in 01:50:00 - ish, it turns out Mr Cheetah only finished a minute before me! We want to do it again next year but start nearer the front so we don't get stuck behind people on the narrow bits - and there were huge bottlenecks and queues approaching the obstacles so we want to try to avoid those too.

Later on, after removing as much mud as possible with baby wipes and changing into dry clothes, we headed to the party tent. The band were terrible but fun, the beer was overpriced but very welcome - and it took nearly as long to queue for food as it did to complete the race - but the steak and onion baguettes were more than worth it!

It is absolutely chucking it down now, so we just shoved the tent into bin bags - it can dry out in the garden when it's not raining! I just need a warm shower now to get the mud dreadlocks out of my hair.

I also have a very impressive bruise on my arm - I didn't feel it when it happened, I blame that scrambly log though!

Off to get clean now - but I WANT TO DO IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! imageimageimage
  • Nice one Cheetah, sounds absolutely mental!

• Its not just you 007, i think we've woken up again image

Cheetah - sounds like you both had a great time, especially as you want to do it again next year. I'm not sure i like the sound of the 'waist-high chocolate fudge pudding' bit image It sounds like it was good craic though and a good atmosphere.

• Hi Everyone! Hope you are all doing ok! Sorry for ignoring you for so long! I haven't run since Centerparcs and have been rubbish but I am trying to psyche myself up to start again. You know how it is, when you've left it a while it puts you off going because you 're dreading how rubbish you're going to be, so you don't go and then it gets worse, etc.

Just had a quick read about Cheetah's night time run, sounds great fun! Going to have a read to catch up with everyone else's news. 

God it is sooo hideous outside today,  I'm saying to myself that as soon as this cold wet spell passes I'm going to get back out there (hopefully this week). Will have to go either early in the morning or at 5.45ish when my hubby gets in, so I'm looking forward to some runs in the park if it's light, I missed those over the winter. 

Will try to not leave it so long again til my next post! xxx

• Evening - I went for a 6.61 mile run tonight, I had to try really hard not to climb over anything or crawl under anything! I felt strangely clean at the end too. I was only doing 10:42 m/m due to still being a bit achy and bruised - but I figured anything under 01:50:00 would be an improvement! image

Snails - that is SOOOO true about never regretting going for a run! I've always loved the feeling after a run that I really didn't want to do! 

Ellie - definitely a good idea to add the week of 10 minute runs, I remember when I got to that week I thought it was going to be 12 minute runs, then it turned out the plan that the running club were following was a bit different and had 3 lots of 10 minutes instead - but a big jump to two 15 minute runs after. I think I did the 10 minute runs on two of my weekly runs - then tried to do 12 on the other two so I could work up to the 15 a bit more gradually! 

Iain - glad the knees are behaving as well as they can! I found similar with my dodgy hamstring, it felt fine when i was actually running - just REALLY hurt after!  The foam roller seems to have sorted it out all together now though, I just need to remember to keep using it!

Norfolklass - I can't wait to hear how you get on with your barefoot style experimenting. There was a man wearing those minimalist shoes with the toes in at the running club last week, I wanted to see what his form was like when he was running in them but I lost him before we set off. I'll report back if I see him again!

Minty - listen to Snails about not regretting getting out there!  Or else I'm coming to Norwich to chase you round the block! image

I'm now enjoying having the week off work, I've already gone nocturnal as usual, and Bacardi Oakheart Rum was on special offer so I'm going to enjoy a few glasses - purely for medicinal purposes to relax my achy bits! 

Night all xxx

• http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/motley_and_sparkle/120304172022_P.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/motley_and_sparkle/120303170734_P.jpg

OK let's see if this works - the race photos from Saturday are up, and I can't link directly so I'll have to improvise!

One is of me in mid-flight after jumping off the last wall (the big black bit behind me that is so tall you can't see the top of IS the wall!)

And just so you can see what I mean about the waist-high chocolate fudge - one of me with chocolate arms and legs!

It appears if you want the photos to be any bigger and without a big watermark in the middle you have to pay a fortune for 'em! image

• Good  pics Cheetah - in the first one you look like you've been dipped in chocolate.....bet it was a nightmare getting it off after it had dried in a while....image

Today was Day one of week 3 in my little programme - so it was walk 5mins, (run 5mins, walk 1min x5) and then walk 5mins. Went to the forest park to do it. It was okay, and i'm getting back to being not so short of  breath now. The first 5mins running (albeit slowly) are still the hardest though. Its a nice fresh day out, but very cold.

• Hi everyone.

Snails - I can relate to the feeling of not wanting to go out but when you do, you feel so pleased you made the effort.  Sounds lovely having a forest park to run around; nothing like that for me within walking distance although there is a deer park about 30 mins drive away so may venture out to that when the weather gets better.

Iain - Must be frustrating with your knee problem.  Made me laugh about the soap/mens shower room!.  Did you manage to get some exercise at the Parkrun?

Cheetah - Massive congratulations on the forest run.  It reminded me of the type of assault courses they used to have on the Krypton Factor (showing my age here).  Sounds like it was a good atmosphere though considering all that gruelling activity.  Hope your washer coped with all the muddy clothes!

MintyB - Nice to see you back posting as I have read your thread from the beginning and wondered whether you were still running.  You've done well to fit in all your 5K runs when you have two small children to look after.  Do you have any goals for this year?

Norfolklass - Have you been keeping up with knee exercises and using the roller?

Ma'amy - Hope the walking is going well.  Have you managed to get out this week?

Well, I completed 10 mins x 3 last week and the last one felt slightly easier.  This week has been the dreaded 12 mins x 3 and for most of it I found a real struggle.  First attempt I only managed 12/12/4 and with longer walk breaks.  Second attempt slightly better managing 12/12/8 and shorter walk breaks.  I knew I wasn't going to make the last 12 so "told myself" I had to double the previous effort so reset app for 8 mins and had to run until the flippin beep went.  Yesterday was the final one and I really wasn't in the mood so just had to get myself ready and get out, thinking anything is better than nothing.  The first few minutes were dire and I was so tempted to stop and walk but knew I would be disappointed if I gave up so quickly so just plodded on - literally.  Second rep was easier as I had warmed up by then.  When it came to the third, I "told myself" (again!), if I didn't complete it, then I would have to do it again next week and that thought was so awful I just had to get it over and done with.  I can't tell you how pleased I was when the 12 min beep went.  Really pleased I made the effort though even though I had very sore feet and was hobbling a bit on the way home. 

Next week is 15 x 2 and again I'm going to extend the walk time initially and then work on getting that down, even if it takes a few weeks to achieve it.

I was going to get out in garden as it was lovely and sunny when I started writing this but its clouded over a bit now so may do some seed sowing instead.  Already got some cucumbers and tomatoes started.  image

Hope you've all had a good weekend.

• well hello agin - sorry for the break - pulled something in my knee couple of weeks ago so have not been doing anything

Cheetah - looks and sounds like you had fun image

Rest sound like you have been doing good - keep it up image

I did bit gentle walking yesterday - then today have been for a walk in the sunshine - 6.1km in 1hr 10min - thought first exercise better do gentle - will get out during the week and start some slow jogging.  Will keep you informed on how I get on x

• I have just started this today. I may have done more than 8 lots of running as I lost count. Going to go again on Tuesday evening I think. My objective is to be able to run for 30 mins continuously. I didn't sweat as much as I thought I would which I hope is a good sign?

Might have to invest in a cheap digital watch too as my analogue Seiko can be a bit tricky to read.
  • I have been robbed!

Thieving buggers!

Some-one has nicked my running mojo, cos i'm completely crap this last week.
    Tuesday was OK, completed my run more or less as planned.
    Friday I went out to do another 35 min run, and found myself out of sorts after a mile or so, stopped to stretch my legs a bit, and stood up to feel a bit dizzy. Started to run again but found myself stopping a few minutes later. Ended up walking home.

Went to run again today, and again found myself with a distinct lack of motivation and will power, and again ditched the run. My head just wasn't in it today, dont know why.
    I've got the Trowse 10k in 4 weeks, so really need to get myself back on track if i'm going to complete it in a half decent time.

Going to go out with the club tomorrow evening, I need other people to help pull me along even if I dont feel like it. Running with a group has always been a good motivator in the past, so hopefully i'll be back on track soon.

Helped at parkrun yesterday, just marshalling, no running.

• Hi all - finally got physio appointment: 30th March.  So hopefully I can get this sorted out and get some guidance to avoid it happening again any time soon!!!!  I'm confident because I'm seeing the same guy who sorted out my dumb shoulder. image
  • Hi everyone,

Welcome to the thread dfm - well done onn getting out there. When i started, i used the stopwatch on my mobile phone (having tried my normal watch and like you, got a bit lost keeping track of time).

Roadrunner -  i'm glad you've finally got your physio appointment - hope you are able to get back out soon. I'm sure the time you've spent waiting for physio will have given you a good break from running anyway, so hopefully will help towards your recovery.

007 - when i read your post i was like 'Oh no, thats awful', cos i really thought you and Mrs 007 had been burgled image. I think we all get the lack of motivation thing now and again, and certainly if i set off with my heart not in it, then i'll always fail to complete my target run/time. Hopefully a club run will replenish your mojo levels.

Ma'amy - hope your knee is getting better. Its good you got that long walk done yesterday, and even nicer it was sunny for you.

Ellie - the forest park is about 7 miles from me, but its worth it to go there cos there are so many different trails to run on (and then i finish up by feeding the ducks sometimes - although i have been known to drive back home again with the bread still in the boot). Yay on getting the 12m x 3 done!! Good luck with the 15m x 2 (which i think i actually preferred cos the number of reps was only 2 - when you try it, try thinking that you've 3 reps to do, and that'll make 2 seem easier - thats how i used to get my head round it anyway - cos its actually less running than you did last week, which was 36mins, this week you're on 30mins.....look forward to hear how you get on).

Cheetah - have you managed to recover from Legends? I'm sure you had a nice week off work - back to the grindstone this week then?

Minty - i have been in your position with not being motivated to run, but after a few half-hearted attempts i did get back out again, and cos i'm following a set programme i find it easier to stick to it then. I'm sure the lighter nights will make it a bit easier over the next while so that you can even try a short run.

Norfolklass - how is your knee doing? Have your foam rollering and knee exercises helped you at all? My foam rollering has started to - flipping painful it was especially on my ITB. Watch a guy on you-tube do it though, and he puts the leg that isn't on the foam roller over the one that is, and puts that foot on the ground to help take some of the weight off - so that has really helped.

I managed to finish week 3 of my programme - thought i was going to have to repeat it again, cos my 2nd run of the week was terrible - i actually thought i was going to throw up, and was dizzy - but it was actually cos i forgot to eat my banana before i left, so i won't make that mistake again. Now i'm going onto run 4m, walk 1m x4. Have to say my shins are a bit sore, but i'm trying to ignore it in the hope that it goes away. I'm not sure its cos i'm getting back into running, or if it using the foam roller - i suppose it could be either.

Happy running everyone imagexx

• Just got back from the club run, and what a difference a day makes!

The group was around 25 people, various abilities and ages.
    A quick briefing told me that it was a 4.5 mile run, and that i really needed to keep a regular runner in sight because there was no way i would remember all the turns of the planned road route!
    Ran at a comfortable pace and completed the run in just over 47 minutes. Slower than i normally train at, but on an unknown route and a bit further than i've been running recently, i'm still quite pleased with my effort today.

The Mojo is back!

• Yay well done, glad it found its way back image
  • Hi everyone,

I runned tonight - 8 mins run/walk 1min x4 - it was good and i enjoyed it. On rep 3 my shin was getting achy and my right hip a little tight, but i have foam rollered and am sitting with my ice pack on now, so all is well.

I love it now its getting a little lighter in the evenngs too.

Hope you're all well,imagexx

• Evening all! Hope you're all fit and well?

Firstly, happy birthday Minty, hope you're being spoiled rotten image Don't beat yourself up about not running so much recently, sounds like we've all been running a little less, apart from Cheetah! Hope you've had the chance to enjoy the glorious weather, I spent most of Sunday on the allotment, it was glorious. Have you set a date for another parkrun yet? Might help to get back into it if you've got something to work towards.

Ellie, I'm glad to read your running is continuing to go well. Big congrats on getting through the 12mins x 3 - hope you felt suitably smug and pleased with yourself afterwards! I hope your hobbles and sore feet haven't turned into anything serious? I remember the Krypton Factor too, I always fancied having a go at the assault course at the end but don't think I'd manage it these days!

Secret Agent, yay re your mojo returning! I think it's quite a common thing, I've had a couple of times in the past when I've run for a couple of minutes then just been unable to carry on, complete lack of energy and not enough will power to force myself on. But I'm glad your knee didn't give you any trouble - do you think the slower pace made a big difference to that? I felt quite sad when I read your post about resigning yourself to always having knee problems, I'm longing for the days when I can run without anxiously waiting for the first twinge image

Cheetah, great photos!!! Hope your washing machine recovered from your trainers and kit image has your bruise gone now? Hope you had a great week off work. Have you got another race lined up yet? I haven't actually run with bare feet yet, but I think I might start the couchto5k thing again with bare feet once I've done my next half marathon in May - don't want to cause any more twinges before then!

Ma'amy, I hope your knee is better? What is it about knees??? They're obviously quite badly designed, you'd think that we'd have evolved better joints by now, they always seem to be the first thing to cause problems. I hope the asking is going well and your knees are coping ok.

RoadRunner, great news about your physio appointment. Am I right in thinking you're in Norwich too? If so, who's the physio? Just in case my knee doesn't improve?!

dfm, welcome to the thread, did you make it out again on Tuesday?
  • continued...

Snails, how's your programme going? Well done for having a plan, it makes such a difference. I bet the forest park is lovely at this time of year, are the stags shouting again yet?! It sounds lovely and so nice to have a choice of trails to run on. I think I need a bit more variety. Glad your dizzy spell was down to lack of food and nothing more serious, how are the shins and hip doing?

Still haven't started any knee exercises or used my foam roller, I must get myself organised and make the effort. I've done two more runs since my last post: 2.68k (I was aiming for 5k but needed to stop and go home to use the loo!) which went really well, I managed to run using a mid-foot strike and didn't have a single knee twinge. My pace was also the fastest it's been in months. Then I did another 8.32k, aiming for 10k but I did have a couple of knee twinges, plus a return of the calf pain in my left leg. From my first attempt at running in a different style I know better than to push it as it took over a week before I could walk properly, so I quit while I was ahead. Going to try and get out for a 5k tomorrow morning but it means getting up at 5:30 so I'm not holding my breath…

At the moment I'm not sure if my new running style is solving my knee problem, or it's the fact that I'm not running three times a week at the moment so everything is getting more recovery time. I don't want to push too hard but at the same time I need to build up my distance again otherwise I'll never make it round the half marathon. Ideally I'd like to get to the point where I can run 5 miles, 5 miles and 10 miles at the weekend without any problems. Definitely need a plan to stick to.

And I should probably start by going to bed, I've just seen the time! Happy running people, here's to an injury-free week x