Options

Running + weights

Just looking for a little advice from more experienced runners. image

I currently combine weight training and running on three days a week. On Tuesdays I do 5 x 800 intervals followed by weights, with the focus on the intervals and weight dialed down a little. On Saturdays I do a parkrun in the morning and then weights at 'proper' level in the afternoon. Now that my 'medium' runs on a Thursday have gotten to a decent level (10 km +), I'm wondering what combo is best to do on that day. Should I do weights first then run immediately? Should I do weights in the morning and then wait to run until the evening to give some recovery time? Or does it just not matter? image

Matt

Comments

• Options

Oh, probably worth adding that my other two sessions are a 30 minute recovery run on Wednesday and my long run (currently 15-20 km) on Sunday. Rest days Monday and Friday.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Do you have any particular training goals? I suppose the answer depends on what you want out of your training image
  • Options

I'm training towards my first half in May - looking for sub 1:50, near to 1:45. I'm also parkrunning most weeks, and looking to bring those times down. My current PBs, very recent, are 22:53 for 5K and 48:43 for 10K (which I can do better than, given that that was at the Goring 10K this Sunday, which was in driving rain and over hills! image )

Basically, running is my priority but I am keen to gain a little strength and tone as well, hence the weights. I've managed to drop about 10 lbs over the last few months, but need probably to drop another 6 lbs to get to where I want to be, weightwise....

Matt