Blisters on each arch after 7 mile run in the rain

Hello peeps,

been on a regular running schedule for the last few weeks from the run less run faster book, and this last week I ran 6 miles of interbals on Tuesday, 7 miles of mostly steady pace on Thursday, and then 7 miles at an average 09:26 pace this morning.

This is probably the first time I have actually been out in the heavy rain for a distance of 7 miles.

Previously I would just chicken out, or go another time, but I'm trying to be good!

Around 2 miles from home i noticed a slight discomfort on my left foot, but elected to ignore it - completed the run on schedule, did my stretches, had my chocco milk, and about 15 minutes later was about to get in the shower, and noticed some discomfort on the inside of each foot, and spotted a blister on each, basically right on the arch.

My socks are pretty basic, ie sport direct puma 3/4 length ones (With no apparent seams), but it's all I have used up until now, and althoguh i have bought some higher end socks, I was planning to keep them for longer distances.

My shoes today were fairly well used Asics GT2140's - very comfy by all accounts, though not at the peak of their cushioning abilities it is fair to say.

So I have a few questions I guess.

It seems a bit of a coincidence that my first run int he wet results in two blisters - so is it fair to say that it is caused by running in wet shoes, and wet conditions....?

If so, would wearing better shoes and better socks have prevented this?

Additionally, now I have these darned blisters, believe it or not the first in my running career,  can I do anything to speed up their dissapearance, ie savlon or something else, or should I keep them aired?

I have an 8 mile run scheduled for Tuesday, hopefully in the dry, if the clisters are still present should I not run, or run with plasters..?

Many thanks

Dan

Comments

• Hi Dan,

I've just got myself a nice bunch of blisters after not suffering with them for years, and I think it's because I need new socks! Having wet feet - rain or sweat, will definitely cause blisters, so you need socks that will manage that moisture. Some people say two thin pairs or dual layer socks are best, but I like a nice thick pair (Thorlos are my current favourites!).

As for treatment, keep them clean - use an antiseptic to wipe the area, and a bit of sudocrem heals things up quickly. I'm going to try running on mine today, but I'm going to put LOADS of vaseline on my feet!

Good luck, and get some new socks!
  • Hi RC,

many thanks for the swift reply image

I am fairly sure my super cheapie Puma socks were not in anyway designed to handle moisture really, so that will probably be what the issue was.

I do have some new socks, had just been saving them for longer distances, I guess I will bring them into action then!

I will see how they fare over the next 24 hours (They are already starting to feel a little less uncomfortable) and will invest in some sudocrem if they have not improved enough.

Sounds like you are running when you have blisters, so your just putting vaseline on the blister areas before you put your socks on......?

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    Hilly twin skin socks for me! 12 miles in the rain this morning and no problems!

As for the blisters you should be ok to run on them with compeed plasters image
  • Dan - yes, went out just now, put vaseline directly on the blister (loads), then put my socks on. Obviously it wears out as the run goes on, but I managed to do 10K with minimal pain and no worsening of the blister. I'm hoping it heals up some time soon though!

Touie2 - I had some Hilly twin skins too, and they were really good until I went running on the beach and got sand between the layers :-/

I also tried a compeed plaster once, but it got stuck to my sock after a run, then I managed to pull half the skin on my foot off trying to remove said sock. What followed was a fairly embarrassing trip to the doctors with a suspicious red line running up my leg, and a course of antibiotics. I am clearly not qualified to use compeed!
  • touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    running_chemist wrote (see)

I also tried a compeed plaster once, but it got stuck to my sock after a run, then I managed to pull half the skin on my foot off trying to remove said sock. What followed was a fairly embarrassing trip to the doctors with a suspicious red line running up my leg, and a course of antibiotics. I am clearly not qualified to use compeed!

I've also had those embarrassing trips to the doctors after popping blisters, I just leave them now image

I've not had any problems with compeed but I guess you could make them more secure by microporing them in place image

Also I have found body glide much better than vaseline as it doesn't seem to wear off, not tried it on my feet, I prefer baby powder for them but have used it wear belts and sports bra usually rub and it is great image

• i am an expert on compeeds. Rub them in the palms of your hands before you put them on to warm them up so they are more pliable and stick better. Always put them on before bed so that they have time to stick before you walk or run on them.
  • I love Compeed patches, and also Second Skin which is pretty much the same thing but you get it in a big patch and cut it to the size you need. My preferred method for running pain-free with blisters, even really big and nasty ones, is to pop them and get all the liquid out adn get the skin as dry as possible, then to use a patch of either Compeed or Second Skin over them. Done properly, I don't feel a thing.

Just putting vaseline on a blister and running as normal can often make it worse.

• I always cover my feet with vaseline for long runs -never had a blister though it probably buggers up my socks....
  • I have to say, vaseline has been my saviour since the birth of this massive blister. And it's cheap!