Options

What are the two bodies low in the northern sky at the moment?

There are two bright stars or planets low in the early twilight sky this week, does anyone know what they are?

Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Dead North and low, Mr.P? I think those are stars..Have a look at this  Put in your co -ordinates and ...well, it's pretty fab image It's great for checking just before a pre-dawn or night run so you 'know' what you're seeing out there. The Orion constellation for me, as I head westwards..
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

That's them...just waiting for it to download...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

image It's the best system I've found..because it's not all charts and diagrams.It shows the earth and the horizon and, once you've put your co-ordinates in, you just have to orientate yourself and look up. You can use the constellation overlays etc...but I still can't  'see ' those animals. the ' fast forward' lets you plan runs towards the planets. They're usually easy to spot.

Err, stargazing apart, how are you?

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

It's clouded over here now so I can't see but it's quite fascinating, I'll try tomorrow.

We're both very well thank you, off to Paris in  couple of weeks. I'll drop you a line image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    image I've got the copy on my Netbook set to Paris. Ah, hours of fun...Have a lovely time!
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

The brighter one is Venus and the other to the northwest of it (for now) is Jupiter.  You'll notice they are getting closer together each night.  Meanwhile over the other side of the sky Mars is visible, reddish, and in the area of the moon at the moment.

Enjoy your night runs.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Wow.  Check this out - all five naked-eye planets are visible in the evening sky at the moment.  Including Mercury which a lot of people haven't seen before.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

• Options

Yes I saw them while out doing laps. I assumed they were Orions Belt.

The full Moon was impressive as well, sky was clear, lots of runners out.

Including one lady with rather nice shorts and an impressive pace on her.

...what?...what did I say...she was fast and had nice shorts...nothing wrong in that

Running is a lonely pursuit, nice shorts can brighten up an evenings training ......

• Options

Son and I were admiring them on the drive home tonight.  The sky is definitely bigger and brighter tonight, and quite stunning.  And just as we approached the undulating, narrow road to home the biggest, darkest, blackest cloud I've ever seen swallowed the light of the near touchable full moon as if Mr R Scott himself had drawn the curtain.  Amazing and inspiring.

Now......

Do I really want to move to a proper Sticksville house, lovely as it is, that is a longer commute, entails more taxi journeys, is a snow/flood-in spot and that, on paper, is entirely impractical but means I could live in the middle of nowhere, in a quite beautiful valley, with running, walking and road/MTB routes on my doorstep and will allow me to have the chickens that I want and allow me to indulge in a little bit of dog ownership? 

GAH!  Goddam perfect house in the middle of nowhere!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Mr. Puffy, are you sure you were looking north? image As T Rex says, the planets are really bright at the moment. But they're west-south/west... No rain, here, today so things are looking good for tonight...
  • Options
    Yes last weekend you had Venus and er Mercury I think and the ISS passing through all at the same time. Fantastic stuff !
  • Options
    if any of you have an iPad, get an app called StarChart (£1.99) - you can then go outside and line it up on what you see and it will tell you what you are looking at (and all the surrounding stuff). as it uses your GPS location it updates as needed so it's correct all year.

it's effing brilliant! there are other similar ones around but StarChart tends to be the most highly rated
  • Options
    If you have a smart phone you can download Google Skymap - shows what stars are wherever you point it!
  • Options
    Wow that sounds like an amazing app FB - do they have it for iPhone or just iPad?
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    oops...Sorry, Mr. P. I've just realised you mean 'north' as in hemisphere..image Looks like we're all in for a treat, tonight.
  • Options
    gfb - it works on iPhone as well but the bigger screen of an iPad makes it more suitable as you get a better resolution and coverage.

it shows the constellation charts as well which always make me think if someone was pissed when they decided a collection of stars looks like, say, a winged horse (Pegasus) image
  • Options
    Glad someone asked that, as I had been wondering. My little boy pointed to the brighter one and said that's grandad, and the other is our dog that became a star last year. That really made shed a little tear.
  • Options

Venus and Jupiter are really close these days. You can see some of Jupiter's moons with a pair of binoculars. The trick is keeping them still.image

Uranus was apparently visible last month too but I couldn't find it - I think you need either a telescope or better binocs than I've got.

• Options
    "Uranus was apparently visible last month too but I couldn't find it "

sorry about that - I obviously wasn't bending over far enough.... image
  • Options
    T Rex wrote (see)

Wow.  Check this out - all five naked-eye planets are visible in the evening sky at the moment.  Including Mercury which a lot of people haven't seen before.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/visible-planets-tonight-mars-jupiter-venus-saturn-mercury

Thanks for the link T Rex.

Some odd comments at the bottom though!

• Options
    fat buddha wrote (see)
    "Uranus was apparently visible last month too but I couldn't find it " sorry about that - I obviously wasn't bending over far enough.... image

LOL! Potty mouth.

Does anyone remember the *Bumhole* sketch on Spitting Image? I still laugh when I think about it...

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Right it's a lot clearer tonight, Mars is very clear and very red over the back garden and  Venus and Jupiter looking a little further away than last night. Saturn is there but I can't idientify Mercury.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Mr. P, Mercury is below the horizon now. 
  • Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    That'll do it.  It was completely clouded over earlier, I'll have another look tomorrow.
  • Options
    I remember a bumhole (bue moh-lay) sketch on Not The 9 o'clock News Aza.