Ricky Gervais, what a prise arsehole

Don't care if you think he is funny.

His latest comments about Susan Boyle

"I don't think she'd be where she is today if it wasn't for the fact that she looked like such a f–king mong. There is no better word to describe Susan Boyle. When she first came on the telly, I went, 'Is that a mong?'"

I don't particular like Susan Boyle, but I do have a downs syndrome son and I find that so offensive.

Comments

• to be honest there is 3 definitions of the word 'mong'

1. Adj. Lacking in physical and cerebal ability. General retardation.
    Generally: a total spastic

2. Someone in a vegetive state of mind/being usually effective after consuming large quantities of alcohol, weed, lsd, ecstacy etc or combinations of. ie. 'monged'

3. Mong is short for 'mongoloid', which was originally an anachronistic term for a Down's Syndrome sufferer. The modern Mong however is a total fuckwit, who deserves nothing less than complete humiliation for their idiocy. That includes all those dope smokers too, who relate being 'monged' to being chilled and mellow. Its because when you're stoned you act like a fucking retard, you fucking spazzes!

if meant as the shortened form in of 'mongoloid' then VERY OFFENSIVE

he is a prick anyway.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    What an arse! That's incredibly offensive and not remotely funny image
  • I don't find him funny in the slightest.  Never have done.  I didn't get the office - thought it was total drivel.  And these comments are totally offensive - sounds like he was trying to get a cheap laugh at someone elses expense - sign of a weak minded bully if you ask me.. 

I don't know much about SB - but watched a documentary about her a few months ago and really warmed to her.  Yes she might have had a few problems along the way, but so have most of us.  She's done pretty bloody well out of it and good on her.

• What's his problem?  Why target her?   There must be a reason behind this second deliberate choice  of language and target. It says more about him than her.

If it's publicity (because even bad publicity is good??) I hope he fails abysmally.  It's not funny. It's cruel, rude, sick and very needlessly offensive

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    Whilst not wanting to get into a debate on the use of words and their potential for offence, didn't this happen about 6 months ago?
    Or have I missed something?
  • A total shit and totally unfunny. I would wonder what sort of folk would find this sort of stuff funny at all. Maybe a sign of some sickness in society , given that he is so popular image
  • I think Ricky Gervais is more like his character David Brent than he would care to acknowledge. I loved The Office and Extras, I found them both very funny but uncomfortable to watch at the same time. Ricky Gervais just makes me feel uncomfortable, he comes across a bit socially inept. And, yes, the Susan Boyle comments are the words of a prize arsehole, regardless of how you define 'mong'
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Gervais produces some funny comedy, but comedians who have to ridicule others are utter scum. Frankie Boyle and many other "shock jock" types too.

It seems the British way though. Every time someone famous dies you get a raft of emails with some puns and generally twattish "Jokes". People do it on this forum too....wonder if they'd appreciate it the next time they lose someone.

an example of such a thread here...

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/168433/

• She does look like she has downs. Mong isn't really that offensive-just a shortened version of mongoloid in this case. But they way Gervais used it was totally wrong. "she looks like a fucking mong" He could have said it much better.
  • As usual when you look into a subject then things are not so black and white. Gervais did say later in his act that he didn't mean she had downs that would be offensive. I think Gervais was pushing the boundaries of comedy. He is quite brave to use disabilities in his routines. Much better than ignoring the subject like most comedians. It's not the first time he has used disabled people in his comedy. There was a very funny sketch on Extras once I remember. Ofcom have cleared him. Probably because they looked at it in detail and not just read the tabloids.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

What's  brave about it then? Edgy comedians, wow, where would we be without them eh? 

And just how should laugh-a-minute Ricky have phrased his observation then NLR? "She looks like she has Downs, ha ha ha"?

Prick.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Ian M wrote (see)
    Whilst not wanting to get into a debate on the use of words and their potential for offence, didn't this happen about 6 months ago? Or have I missed something?
    It did but Susan Boyle has only now responded. Not sure of the reason for the delay though.
  • This is such old news. Besides, no one has the right not to be offended, so if Gervais and his fans think he comment is funny, those who don't will just have to suck it up and get on with things.
  • Intermanaut wrote (see)
     no one has the right not to be offended
    My brain hurts.   So I have the right to be offended?  Gee thanks.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Taking the piss out of someone to raise a laugh is the lowest form of humour.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

there's nothing brave or clever mocking those least able to defend themselves in society.

i think the Manic Street Preachers summed it nicely when they sang, if you tolerate this, then your children will be next

• I agree Stevie. Just as you can't say don't be offensive then call someone a prick. Not sure whether it was me or Gervais he was calling but it doesn't matter.

• Come to think the title of this thread goes along the same lines. Don't offend my son you arsehole!!
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

You really don't get it do you? Sometimes I think you're a thirteen year old child who's hacked into her mum's account.

• NLR -fuck off- there's a dear
  • I never saw the routine but reading some of the transcript, it seems that the OP has misrepresented the facts, much in a way, a tabloid newspaper would. Why would Ofcom have cleared him?
  • I actually like it when you swear at me OW.

• @Hash. - of course you have the right to be offended, just as everyone, including you, has the right to say things that might offend other people. In many countries it's called "free speech".
  • Frankie Boyle, Ricky Gervais et al are not funny. They raise a laugh by poking fun at others. Frankie Boyle infamously poked fun at Rebecca Addlington about her nose after she had won 2 gold medals at the Olympics.
    Anyone who has to resort to such offensive toilet humour to raise a laugh should not be allowed to bear the title of 'comedian'. Also, the people who buy their DVDs and pay to see their shows are as much to blame, as they are encouraging their vile and offensive material.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

There's comedy and there's witless abuse.

Everyone's free to show that they get their kicks by being hurtful to others or that they lack the social skills to realize when they're being hurtful. Free speech innit?

• Are you saying we don't censor and  and everyone can say what they like in the 'name of humour'? or 'speaking their mind'

<prepares to speak mind in a humorous way>

I don't think anyone is suggesting censorship anyway. They are just saying he's not funny, not informed and deliberately offensive because he's so media driven and lacks any sensitivity. Quite often people like that can dish it out, but not take it. 

Tolerate this and ... you could be next. 

• There are some on the forum who are so emotionally vulnerable that attacking them would be like picking wings off a fly for the hell of it.

Why would you?

(because I can and it will be funny ...)

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭

Should you blame the comedian or the audience for reacting?

Personally I think RG is a twat and don't know why people think he's so great, but if people didn't laugh at the fuckwit he wouldn't be in a position to tell shite jokes.