Gait analysis advised

Having just returned from an injured calf and being prone to back problems, I've been advised to see a podiatrist and have gait analysis done.I do have oneleg longer than the other and when out running for the first time since the injury had pain in my foot and up the side of my leg, this subsided after I stopped.

The question is. Should I go ahead with gait analysis, it's expensive and I can't aford to waist money but am willing to pay if it helps cut down injury as I'm fed up with pain and it's sooo hard keep building up milage only to have long lay offs and have to start all over again.
PLEASE any suggestions.

Comments

• Yes, do it, it helped me stacks,and I'm going again.
    Mine cost £25 and was worth every penny.
  • It's probably a long way from you but at the Advance peformance running shop in Peterbourough they have a free gait analysis if you buy a pair of trainers. They also have a Podiatrist, physio and sports massage upstairs. I believe that their podiatrist has some very competitive prices on orthotics.

Give them a ring ther're in the back of RW under Cambridgeshire running shops they also have a great web site.
  • Salford Uni podiatry dept does it - so other unis might and i believe that the assessment and treatment is very reasonably priced- why not ring round your local unis to see if they have a podiatry dept?
  • Thanks all. I'll definately get on the phone and do some research into the unis. Need to do something as at present all running seems so stop start due to injury. Would also be prepared to travel quite a distance for a good recommendation.
  • Ditto that re Advance Performance. Very revealing. My previously-cherished plates of meat are apparently very freaky. Didn't go as far as podiatry, so can't comment on that.
  • Village runner,
    We have a physio/podiatrist type person who comes into school. Chatting to her today and mentioned had trouble with my knees, 3 mins later she had already spotted one leg shorter than the other, fallen arch, weight leaning over to the shorter leg therefore knee problem. Wow, I would say give a podiatrist a try if you have a problem.
  • Re Advance Performance. They only do the lower leg fm the back.If you have back problems you need gait analysis fm the hips down. I fractured my hip 20yrs ago & a private physio showed me on video that the affected hip doesn't move whereas the normal one does which explained my odd gait. Adv Perf couldn't pick that up. Def worth the dosh if you find someone who knows what they are doing