Tried 12 different shoes with no luck

I had a gait analysis done several months ago at Sweatshop and I do overpronate a fair bit (which i knew anyway, my street shoes always wear down very unevenly).

Trouble is, I've not been able to find a single pair of moderate support shoes which don't slip at the heel. I've tried different socks too but no joy. My foot seems to sit too high in the shoes. I'm currently wearing a pair of NB 500s which I know nothing about - bought them because they fit and I needed something - but finding them quite heavy.

Prior to this I had another pair on NB's (560) and a pair of Nike Zoom both of which fit fine.

Anyone else have the same problem, or know of a "deep" shoe?

Comments

• as a thought have you tried changing your running style to more of a forefoot landing approach?? that will avoid issues with heelstrike and overpronation and you won't need as much support which in turn will open up a whole world of shoe possibilities - and will also avoid heel slippage. I'm not saying it's the right running approach for you (I'm a confirmed heelstriker and never needed to change) but it might be worth considering

• Or different lacing perhaps ?
  • fat buddha, I've never heard of doing that - I thought people generally landed on their heel before rolling forward. Is it like trying to run on "low tiptoe"?

cougie, I've tried lacing the shoes right up to the last hole further round the ankle. To stop them slipping I have to lace them so tight it hurts. It just feels like my foot doesn't go far enough down into the shoe. Are there any other ways to lace shoes?

• Try Mizuno Inspire 7.  They are a moderate support shoe with a narrow and deep heel cup. In fact, a lot of people (including me) couldn't comfortably wear them as the heel collar was too high and tight.  I'd be really surprised if your heel slips in those.  They are on close-out at the moment as Mizuno have released the 8.  The 8 is a more conventional heel collar height, so may not suit your needs. 

If you need more support than the Inspire offers, have a look at Mizuno Nirvana 7.  Similar high and tight heel fit to the Inspire 7, but more stable and cushioned.  Again, they're supersceded and the Nirvana 8 returns to a lower heel fit which may not suit you.

Generally, I've foundthe USA brands (Nike, New Balance & Brooks) have wider heels and narrower forefoot, whereas the Japanese brands (Asics & Mizuno) tend to fit the opposite - narrower heels and wider forefoot.

• Have you tried the loop lacing technique that uses the extra hole at the top?

After a bit of searching I found this is the best example of how to do it (scroll down to find it).

Loop Lacing Technique

It's always worked for me to lock the heel in.

• Thank you, that's really helpful. I'm going to look for the Mizuno shoes and I've bookmarked the lacing page so I can try it out. I'll also remember the tip about the different brands and try them first (assuming I can find them, good running shoes are a bit sparse round here).

I'll have to stick with the ones I have (race in 2 weeks, doubt that's a good time to change shoes) but do need to get some better ones than the £20 anything-better-than-nothing shoes that I have now!

• Carpathius - no, heel-striking is generally just the way most shoe companies have made people believe they should run by sticking massive heels on the shoes! If you run with no shoes on at all, you will run midfoot because landing on your heels hurts and jars your ankles, knees, hips and back.... Yet for some reason when people put running shoes on they start landing on their heels, and then rolling to the forefoot, which creates almost all the pronation problems people claim to have. People who come to running younger, and fast runners, will tend to be midfoot strikers. They land almost underneath their body, which is more-or-less upright but slightly lent forwards, on the ball of their foot with a partly bent knee, which absorbs the impact and then push off which allows all the energy they stored in the bet leg to be released like a spring and propels them forwards, and the leg recoils up towards their bum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfrsOFadIKQ

• Is it worth taking a look at why you overpronate before trying to find another pair of stability shoes?

I always used to be encouraged to go for moderate stability control shoes when I went for gait analysis, but last year I decided to investigate exactly WHY I was pronating. After seeing a physiotherapist and a chiropractor, I've discovered that my pronation comes from weakness in my glute medius and instability in the pelvis. I'm much happier and run much stronger now that I've been working on strengthing/correcting those issues. Also, I don't really want gammy hips when I'm older so I think it's worth checking these things out!

• Thank you Dancing In Spikes. I'll pay a bit more attention next time I'm running and see whif I can tell what bit of my feet I land on.

Oddly enough, none of my old running shoes aren't showing any uneven wear pattern at all (I made another thread about that) so maybe I don't heelstrike anyway. I do run pretty slowly though.

xine267, that's a really good idea thank you.

• If any of you have a spare moment could you fill in a questionnaire about your Running Shoes for a Finalist research Project at Loughborough University.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/87KDP2H

THANKS!!
  • I'm resurrecting this thread to say thank you for all the advice.

I have been seeing a physio and have corrected my walking gait with orthotics but will probably always need support shoes. I went for the Inspire 7s in the end and they fit perfectly. After trying numerous other styles this was nothing short of a miracle - pity they changed the design!