BERLIN Marathon 2012

With only 201 days to go until the Berlin Marathon gets under way, I thought it was about time I got this thread kicked off. I'm sure all of you like me, will start their 28 week training programme next weekend.

Flights booked, hotels sorted out and already thinking about what kit you can wear to impress the locals right? Well hop on board the thread and introduce yourself.

Cheers, Tricky Dicky. image

Comments

• I'm doing Berlin this year, like you hotel and flights booked.

Have you had any correspondences from the organisers yet?

I've had comfirmation but nothing else.

Looking forward to it as part of doing all the majors.

• Hi Jonah, no can't think of any correspondence apart from the usual confirmation of payment. I ran Berlin last year and all the orgnisation was very straight forward, so nothing to worry about yet. I've also run London and New York as 3 of the 5 'Majors' but to be honest, these are self-appointed titles and I don't see much value in them.

I thought New York was a horrible course, very boring and hugely over hyped. Berlin was fabulous and frankly, London was even better. Maybe I am being setimental as a Brit living abroad (been in Belgium for nearly 12 years) but to be honest, I don't think so.

I got invited back to run NY this year but I didn't even bother to respond. Loved the city, really didn't enjoy anything about the race.

• I've ran London numerous times and it's still my favourite marathon.

Ran New York in 2010 and couldn't believe how hilly it was, like you said great city but the marathon was a bit of a let down.

Doing Berlin this year as well as London and Manchester, then next year I'm doing Boston hopefully.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    I'll be running it.  It's my first marathon, so I'm hoping it's gentle with me.  Unfortunately, in organisational terms, I'm a little behind, so unless I do something sharpish I will be travelling there by hitchhiking, and staying in a skip.
  • Hi, I'm running Berlin this year - first marathon for me too, so I'm excited and a little scared. Only 200 days of training to go eh?

I'm pleased to hear good things about the course! I also have some way to go in terms of organisation...

• Tim SyngeTim Synge ✭✭✭

Second year in a row for me. The course is incredibly flat and therefore likely to offer quick times.

Training? Well, I'll think about assembling a programme once London is safely out of the way!

I can't remember when the entrant pack came through last year, but it definitely wasn't this early. If you have received the confirmation of entry electronically, there is no need to panic ...

• I was very surprised to find a few weeks ago that for the chain of hotels i would choose to use in Berlin, already 2 out of 6 were sold out that weekend. I definitely didn't have that experience last year. No idea if this is a general trend or if this one company has dramatically improved its marketing?

I'm running Rome mara this weekend and will be pace-making some friends for Paris on 15th April.  So hopefully will get to take a good long rest before starting Berlin training. Welcome to Dachs and Hellsbells. Marathon newbies. What is your motivation for doing this mad thing then?

• Thanks for the welcome, TD. I've been running for a few years now, have done a few half-marathons and felt I'dlike to have a go at the full thing. Funnily enough, I was in New York during the marathon last November and watching that was what decided me to enter one!
  • DachsDachs ✭✭✭

It seemed the logical next step after returning to running.  I wanted to see what the fuss was all about, I guess.  I also kind of always had in the back of my mind that I wanted to run a marathon before I was 35.  Unfortunately, I turn 35 a month before Berlin, but that's a minor detail...

• I did my first mara in Cologne Dachs, 2 months before I was 40 Dachs. Berlin will be my 11th.  I am older now but much fitter.

• TD- Is that your 11th marathon, showing my age did my 1st marathon in 1981 Manchester.

Your'e right about getting fitter or maybe wiser in old age, I'm still getting PB's now.

I'm booked in the Best Western, do you know how far that is from the start?

• No idea Jonah, try Google maps or something. Probably also more than one BW in Berlin.

Yes, 11th marathon.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    TD - that seems to be the benefit of marathons.  Offering hope for continued improvement even as everything else crumbles.  By which I mean me, I'm sure you're holding together perfectly.
  • We'll see about that after this weekend Dachs image
  • TD- Checked earlier and it's the same hotel they suggest off the offical website so I presume it might be close to the start.

Easy 20miles at the weekend for me, ran the the Grindleford Gallop last Saturday 21mile trail race so legs still a tad stiff.

• I ran the Berlin Marathon last year in 2011. Awesome race, excellent course and unbelievable atmosphere. I fully recommend it. I have ran marathons in Berlin and Prague now and I can't choose between them in terms of which is the better race.

I am running the Stockholm Marathon in June and I can only hope for something as special as the Berlin or Prague races.

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭
    I'm in too. London, Berlin and er.......Sunderland just for a bit of contrast image
  • KW- Sunderland sounds different, maybe one for the future for me.

After Berlin I'm doing a 50 mile night race in the Peak District called "Dawn til Dusk" which sounds fun.

• After Berlin, I will mostly be sleeping image...

... and then have the difficult job of deciding what I want my goals to be. I'll be approaching 45 yo and am wondering to myself how will I continue to find the performance improvements which have thus far motivated me and driven me on to train hard. I have a mental goal (which i won't share yet) for Berlin, but if I achieve it, well, not sure where to go from there.

There comes a point in time where no matter how much energy you expend, you can't get much quicker. Now I might be deceiving myself and that could be some years away but i will want to reflect on this and learn from those around. But for now, I have to get down to Rome. A small matter of 42kms to be run.

image Ciao!

• TD- There is no reason why you can't carry on PB ing past 45 I got my PB aged 47(2.49) and looking to beat that at London.

Enjoy Rome.

• That's encouraging Jonah, thanks.
  • Hi all, I am also booked in for this race. I haven't booked the flights yet as thinking to whether I will be ready in time. In January I bagan coaching with The Running School team after having the biomechanical assessment done. It was not a great sight me running then so I have been relearning to run in a biomechanically efficient way. I am currently doing walk/run concentraing on time rather than mileage, coach thinks I should be ready for september, I doubt it somehow, have just sent email to organisers whether possible to defer entry till 2013, does anyone know whether this option is open for this marathon. I would so love to run it this year but worry it may be too soon for me, I have had to change so many things in my running style and some of them are still work in progress. It wouldn't be my first marathon but currently it's like starting on a couch to 5 programme, muscle memory is something terrible, you tire so quickly if you try running in a different way.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I really fancy this one but it's full for this year....2013 it is (if I survive my 1st marathon experience in Paris in 4 weeks!)

Just asked Mr Maj how he fancies a weekend in Berlin. His response: "Why is it that I feel this isn't just about a romantic weekend?"...
  • What could be more romantic than hanging up your sweaty kit Yer_Maj, massaging your blistered feet and then suggesting vigorous lovemaking whilst you no longer have any ability to resist his intentions?!?

It's easy to get into Berlin when it re-opens for 2013, so no need to panic. Have fun in Paris. image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    You've clearly met my husband before image
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

After Berlin, I will mostly be sleeping image...

... and then have the difficult job of deciding what I want my goals to be. I'll be approaching 45 yo and am wondering to myself how will I continue to find the performance improvements which have thus far motivated me and driven me on to train hard. I have a mental goal (which i won't share yet) for Berlin, but if I achieve it, well, not sure where to go from there.

There comes a point in time where no matter how much energy you expend, you can't get much quicker. Now I might be deceiving myself and that could be some years away but i will want to reflect on this and learn from those around. But for now, I have to get down to Rome. A small matter of 42kms to be run.

image Ciao!

I achieved my PB (2`43) a month before my 47th - at Berlin as well.  I`m convinced people slow down because they feel they ought to be slowing down. Go for it TD.
  • Beetle - thanks for that. I had a terrible time in Rome last weekend, mainly because I was feeling under the weather, so took a tactical DNF so I could go for it in Paris in a few weeks.

I've read that basically whenever you start running, you have about 10 years hard training to reach your peak potential. I started running when I was 39, lost a year to an achilles operation and have had 3 years increasingly hard training now. So maybe if I stay on it, I've got from now to age 50 to damage a few (personal) records.

I have a feeling that the age of the body is actually related to how we treat the it (insufficient exercise and sleep, poor diet, etc.). I'm trying to look after mine in the hope it can continue to carry me well through life.

Nice to know someone else is looking out for your body Yer_Maj image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    I've certainly got a few goals to aim for before I hit the big 50. And it's a great comfort to know that Mr Maj will be looking after my bodily needs during this time...
  • Flgihts booked last week, time for the accommodation sorted out but getting my friends to agree if they're coming or not is a pain.

Flying down to Munich after this for the Beer festival, a good reward I feel and making it all worth while

• ACDCgirl - I had a friend who had to bail out on Berlin last year and I think deferral was not possible. It's easy to get in the following year, so there is no real need for them to give your money back I am afraid. Good luck with the re-education.