Birds (the feathered variety)

Although the weather's not so good today, our little feathered friends were out in force this morning and how lovely it was to see (and hear) them! I saw:

Parakeet, Robin, Great Tit, a pair of Magpies, Wren, Wood Pigeon and heard a Skylark. Not bad in 20 mins I thought!

So what have you seen? (Any wildlife - not just birds).

Comments

• Hi Peter

I've got a lane down the back of my house bordering on some woods and when I was walking along it t'other night a bager shot out of a garden, ran along the path in front of me and then into the woods.  It was a smallish one but a solid little lump.  Glad it didn't hit my legs!

This morning: great tit, blue tits, hedge sparrow (trying to get on my Vision feeder), the usual assortment of wood pigeons, tits, and magpies waiting out the front for my neighbour Bill to put the food out.  I often see great spotted woodpeckers in my downstairs neighbour's garden which I overlook.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Peter Everitt wrote (see)

Although the weather's not so good today, our little feathered friends were out in force this morning and how lovely it was to see (and hear) them! I saw:

Parakeet, Robin, Great Tit, a pair of Magpies, Wren, Wood Pigeon and heard a Skylark. Not bad in 20 mins I thought!

So what have you seen? (Any wildlife - not just birds).

Your knowledge of birds is obviously better than mine.  Out of that lot I think I'd recognise a robin and a parakeet.  As for the skylark, I'd only know one of those by sound if it went "'scuse me, skylark coming through" or something.

There are some incredible green parakeets flying around Greenwich Park, although I didn't notice any this morning.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I've not really been looking in the garden today but have noticed a wren, collared dove, blackbirds and various tits (probably great, blue and long-tailed but they didn't stop for long enough for me to be sure).

Yesterday I had a pair of mallards.  Every year at around this time they come to the pond (read puddle) looking for nesting sites.  I have to chase them off every morning for about a week and eventually they get the hint.  I'm not being cruel - there really isn't enough water and food for two ducks and the chicks would suffer.

• My friend was out receing a hiking course for his Duke of Edinburgh students when a skylark landed on his chest.  He stayed really still for about 2 mins then put his hand near it.  It jumped into his hand, sat there for about 30 secs then flew off.  He looked up and saw a raptor high up in the sky and assumed the skylark had landed on him looking for protection.
  • I saw a pair of Great Tits
  • Seeing badgers is great isn't it, Red.  image There's a very large hole in a hedge bank in one of the lanes around us and OH and I were coming back from a lsr in the dusk on Sunday. I did wonder if we'd see who lives in a hole like that.

Today I have seen; robins, blue tits, great tits, sparrows, magpies, herring gulls, wood pigeons, blackbirds and crows. I can hear buzzards and woodpeckers and on Monday afternoon, insomniac owls image

• I get mallards on the grass at the front of our housing development + a flock of long-tailed tits occasionally in the garden.  I live close to a lake which I swim in from May onwards, where moorhens and coots often launch themselves into the water as close to me as they dare just to assert who's the boss of the lake.
  • I get tits on my fat balls ... and I'm a woman image
  • PhilPub wrote (see)
    Your knowledge of birds is obviously better than mine. 

This is a brief but invaluable educational resource.  A bit dated (ie it predates the introduction of parakeets to south london), but otherwise it's informative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfvEgWINUFc 

• Morning Red Squirrel - I'd love to see a Badger running around I only ever get to see the squashed variety! And I'm afraid I've given up with the bird feeders as the local squirrels just rip them apart within minutes (and they seem fat enough already!). Often see green woodpeckers but not today.

Hi Philpub - I'm no expert, but used to be interested before the lesser feathered varieties became more interesting! I've no idea what a Skylark looks like, I only ever see them as a hovering dot but I know what they sound like.

• Pheasants.

Just seen one, I'm not being rude, honestly...

I love the sound of the sky lark. image

• I forgot about the owls Smallio.  Bloody noisy some nights. image  I heard an insomniac robin at 1am.  Must be the street light a few doors up from me confusing it. image
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    I can now add robin, pigeon and magpie to my list of garden birds.
  • My dad just reported to me that there's been a sparrowhawk in his garden for 3 days and the small birds are nowhere to be seen.  They're normally hanging around expectantly first thing for mum to put seed out.  image
  • A Sparrowhawk Red Squirrel? Very interesting. I had one in my back garden a few years back (and my garden is the size of a postage stamp!) busy plucking a Collared Dove. I never realised we had such birds round my way (outskirts of West London) and never seen or heard one since. We get Kestrels regularly enough and I have heard a Tawny owl (but not recently).

Keep them coming!

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    We get sparrowhawks occassionally, even in our small urban garden.  In fact we tend to get a lot of unusual birds but each one only tends to hang around for a week before moving on.  They must be passing through to somewhere more interesting.
  • Red Squirrel. wrote (see)
    I get tits on my fat balls ... and I'm a woman image
    Oh Red...I think I love you...just sat here giggling away to myself over your comment...the boys think I am insane. They are (mostly) right image
  • Until a couple of years ago, we were visited every night by a badger. We used to put peanuts out for her and she would come right up to the patio doors image

We live on the outskirts of a town, but in a rural area so get quite a good variety of visiting birds. A couple of years ago, a pair of buzzards appeared....and now there are 4 of them. We usually hear them before we see them. We also seem to have rather a lot of noisy owls.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Today on my way to the station - great tits, blue tits, robins, blackbirds, starlings, collared doves and wood pigeons.

I also hear a green woodpecker's alarm call often, and hear woodpeckers drumming.

When I'm more out of town, running, I see badgers occasionally (mostly dead, though), foxes, and last summer nearly trod on an adder.

I saw a weasel once, and a slow worm, and usually hear cuckoos in the woods in the summer.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    candy ollier wrote (see)

This is a brief but invaluable educational resource.  A bit dated (ie it predates the introduction of parakeets to south london), but otherwise it's informative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfvEgWINUFc 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Just been birding myself.NW London, Buzzard, Red Kite, Goosander (What?)

🙂

• Ok it's a spoof documentary but annoying because they call a jackdaw a magpie and a pair of tits are actually nuthatches.
  • I saw a Skylark yesterday strangely enough .. never seen one before and it was about 2 foot away from me

We are in Kite country and they are more common than sparrows in these parts, connected or not but we seem to have an increase in the Buzzard population as well

I also saw 2 mad March Hares playing in the lane yesterday and 2 dead badgers who werent playing at all

I often stop on the way home from a late shift and watch the Barn Owl hunting which is a real treat image
  • What part of the country are you in Melds?

• I don't know why, but I thought you were in Devon.  I don't know Bucks.  Obviously there are v rural bits.  I haven't seen a barn owl for a while.  Think it's just tawneys in the woods by me.  Loads of them though - they have a regular 'owl prowl' organised.
  • yesterdays run - Flock of Lapwings, pair of Curlews,Little Owl and half a dozen Black Pheasants,plus loads of garden birds finches etc.

A run over the moors last Friday numerous Mountain Hare(pure white), Grouse and Golden Plovers.

• My Dad lives in Devon Squirrel   image
  • We have two green woodpeckers who regularly visit the garden, various tit, sparrows wood pigeon and doves. Recently we've had chaffinch (such a cheery song in the morning!) and goldfinch. Blue Jays in the woods. I see lots of skylarks on may runs and many little hedgerow birds I couldn't identify. On one of my routes I occasionally see a Barn Owl and once saw a heron. I love them all, birds make me smile. image

Never seen a badger though image
  • Never saw a badger either CB until I moved to Herefordshire. Now I see them all the time, mostly dead though image don't know where you are but sounds lovely place to run.

I run every Sunday past an orchard that always has a flock of fieldfares as almost permanent residents at this time of year. It makes me want to run out there every week and also gives me an excuse to hang over the gate and watch them. (and give up the running for a few or ten mins or so!)