Liverpool Half Marathon 2012

Comments

• Just out of interest Alan, why didnt the new start and finish materialise for this years race as hoped?
  • Really enjoyed the run but has anyone had problems with the official time. Mine says DNF I'm really hoping is just a glitch as I ran for charity and was relying on the official time. I know I came over at 1:43 but was hoping to shave 4 minutes off from the delay getting over the start line
  • Great race as ever Alan and almost perfect weather.
    Bring on the Marathon eh ?

Tee shirt is fab and I shall be poncing around in the gym later in it.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    1.32 for me today First race since May2010 due to injury so more than happy. Loved the course. Last time I did it it started and finished in the park. This was much better. Liked hitting parliament Hillnearly on too. Great weather. Well done and thanks to Alan and the team for a well organised event at least so far as I was concerned.
  • LOVE the T shirt and weather was great.

Collection of T shirt much better than last year & did not miss the goody bag, I have already decided the tech T will be worn as my main training top.

Only minor niggle is the arrangements at the start - notices with anticipated finish times would seperate out diferent paced runners and ease congestion also speaker by the tax building would help others know what was happening (think Chris was giving loads of encouragement but to be honest could not hear what was going on - in fact had no idea the race had started). These are MINOR points - the race was brill and will be doing it again.

second Liverpool half & I manged to cut nearly 20 min off last year (training does make a differencce it would appear!)

WELL DONE

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Missed the goody bag image

Great event, well organised and couldn't have ordered better weather.

Got to High 5 Kris too - legend.

Congratulations to all involved - you deserve it.

• Does anyone know where / when there will be photos - didn't catch who was doing photoraphy this time
  • link to photos is on Run Liverpool web site - not up yet tho.

Thanks for a brilliant race - must be my favourite 1/2 marathon by a long shot - knocked 13 mins of last years time and 6 mins of my 1/2 marathon PB.

Really really enjoyed it - excellent course - and great support.

• lovely weather got round just under 2 hours was pleased as had been sick this month and training got put back a lot so athough normal time is usually 145 was glad to finish loved t shirt but didnt realise there were goody bags where were they ? i was feeling a bit dizzy and not with it at finish so must have missed them !!!!!

• There weren't goody bags I think.
    Quality tee and medal were far better than the goody bags you normally get at races.
  • An excellent event. Well organised, good support all the way round. Better quality t-shirt than last year and cool design too.
    Thanks to all concerned.
  • cougie wrote (see)
    Great race as ever Alan and almost perfect weather. Bring on the Marathon eh ? Tee shirt is fab and I shall be poncing around in the gym later in it.

In the gym later.... respect.

Are you the cheerful pirate who sped up te hill and shouted hello?

• As far as I was aware there was no goody bag. Certainly didnt see anyone handing any out.
  • Fantastic race, well organised, thanks to all the supporters, they really helped, looking forward to next year's race already!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MikeyMikey ✭✭✭
    I had a great day. After a really disappointing Marathon in October due to illness, everything came together today so I banished the ghost of October 2011.

• Great day, even if I did struggle a little on the 3 mile finishing straight!

Bit of a bottleneck prior to start, but with those numbers only to be expected.

Did also wonder whether having expected time markers before the start to try and get similar runners together would help. Must be frustrating for quick runners having to pick a way through slower runners who went off early and also puts pressure on slower runners to perhaps run faster than they should. Just a thought!

• Fabulously organised as usual. Only thing I could say needed improvement was the parking on the dock, only seemed to have one pay station open so was massive queue. But despite this really enjoyed the race (third time of competing and will be signing up for fourth)Oh T shirt superb!!
  • Love this race. Good organisation, lovely course. I agree that it was quite congested in places but time markers at the start are rarely adhered to in my experience. This race is quite rightly growing in popularity so bigger crowds are to be expected. Really enjoyed my run, no PB but need to put the training in for that I suppose!
  • Ref Paul Plested blog

Yes mate far to many bottlenecks this year, but on saying that what a fantastic event well done Alan and the team again.... the t shirt is fantastic....

• Nice start and finish on the sea front, and good useful shirt, but other than that quite a dull route for me, I wouldn't fancy running that regularly.Pity about the bottlenecks but to be expected with the numbers I suppose, and it was really chaotic at the end, lots moaning that they didn't have a goody bag, I'm not a fan of them myself, I can get leaflets in the post,  
  • Cracking race.  I thought the course was excellent and managed a PB.  Not run it before, but will definately do it again.  Sefton Park certainly feels a lot different half way through a half, than it does in the second half of a full marathon.  Only complaints are before the race - the car park pay station was ridiculous, and somehow the queues to the toilets were prohibitive in spite of there being loads of portaloos.  Being a bloke I was able to take the open air option.
  • I enjoyed the day but IMHO the start needs to be staggered by expected finishing time. I'm not especially speedy but seemed to spend most of the first 4-5 miles trying to get past slower runners. I guess I should be a bit more pushy at the starting line!
  • Just looking at my chip position, 543 out of ~6200 runners and my chip time against my gun time (1:35 against 1:50). I definitely need to be a bit nearer the front when the gun goes.

My own fault. Lesson learnt.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

There's a fine example of why the start needs to be a little more ordered.

In the results there is a  runner, with a chip time of 03:20:00 and a gun time of 03:20:18.

• Well done to Alan and all the volunteers again for making this another great race. Really enjoyed the route and well pleased with my time of 1:55. My only gripe would be the start - far to many runners packed together trying to get over the start line, but otherwise a great day. 

• As I advised earlier, we have attempted to move the start / finish to the Pier Head but it has been possible to do so. I am aware the small start area but would say

With an bigger start area we can manage the runners better, however, I would add that whatever system we put in place some runners will choose to ignore!!!!!

We will be able to move the start / finish area next as I have agreement with the Liverpool Museum to use their land to pass through.

As for the course being 'dull' I never understand that. It's a race not a sight seeing tour.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Alan.

Please don't take these observations as criticism - I had a great time and would definitely do it again.

You did a tremendous job and should be more than happy.

Plus - Princes Park, Sefton Park, Otterspool Park and the River Front, dull? Nope

• Orbutt - I tend to ignore criticism as you can't please everyone all the time. If you look at what we have achieved over the last four years - it nearly disappeared altogether in 2008! - then we have ourselves a fantastic Half Marathon event. The improvements have come about through keen observation, improved resources and the fact that if you didn't know, I am a runner myself. So I know what runners expect from an event.

i think what some people overlook is the fact that I am constantly reviewing the events and looking for improvement. That won't change for any event we deliver.

I think the HM yesterday was the best we have delivered so far. That said, it will be better next year. It seems everyone enjoyed the day yesterday which is great.
  • Yesterday was my first ever race and I really enjoyed it. The atmosphere was great and the route was too. Mile 11 - 12 seemed to go on forever and I didn't finish in under 2 hours as hoped but that's something to aim for next year! Thanks to all those who organised this and the other runners who kept me going at the end....I was running on empty at the finish line!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Alan - I forgot to say, Mrs O used the text system and was very impressed with it. Really quick results.

Another great initiative.