Lost my running mojo

Chest infection has meant no running for three weeks. Only a month to go until Great Ireland run and it now seems like an impossible mountain to climb.

Never been a runner (as other forum threads will be testament to) more a plodder, but really want to get out there and go for it and yet now it seems impossible.

Seems stupid, but I feel like I've got so much resistance to getting back out there and yet all I want to do is get out there and go for it?! Seems strange and yet that is where I find myself. Any ideas?

Comments

• I think the idea of having to get started again is probably the worst thing, but your body won't have forgotten all the training you put in before.

I would just go for a run, don't set yourself any time, speed or distance targets, just go out and see how you feel and take it from there. I reckon it'll feel much easier once the first run is out of the way.

Good luck!

• Susan I would agree with with Carpathius on this one. I lost my mojo a while back whilst in the middle of setting up a business, full time work and few personal problems and hadn't exercised for about 3 weeks also, kept telling myself tomorrow and then not doing anything. Best thing I did... get out and run. Literally ran about 15 minutes around the block but I got the buzz for it back straight away. Haven't looked back since, the hardest part really is getting out there.
  • Couple of suggestions for you.....

If you're not a member of your local running club then give it a go -new people to run with, different routes and encouragement.

Get yourself a running partner, someone who runs roughly the same pace as you (article in this month's RW)

It's hard to back out of a run that you've agreed to do with someone. Great for someone to have a yacker on the run with as well as a bit of moral support when you need it and vice versa.

best of luck

• Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭

I agree join a club.

if I can drag myself out, I frequently don't notice the time or distance being occupied with conversation.

Its the easiest way to train for long slow distance, especially with the longer light nights being upon us.

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Lots of us have been there Susan, i had an unplanned break recently and i have to say just getting that first run out of the way was the biggest hurdle. It wasn't a great experience, i didn't run very far or very fast and i felt pretty awful but i couldn't wait until the next one once i'd finished. Now i'm right back in the groove and went for a nice slow 7 miles after work today. Go for it.
  • Sometimes having a goal can be more daunting and not so motivating.The pressure to do things a certain way can take away the simple pleasure you get from running.

What do you love about running? What gets you out the door usually? Does listening to music help? Watching Youtube clips about running?

Sometimes the hardest part is changing into your running clothes and going outside - tell yourself that you're just going for a walk and I'm sure you'll start running once you're out there. Good luck! image

• Thanks everyone!!! I can't tell you how uplifting I found it to get your messages.

I nearly didn't post, cos I thought you'd say don't be a baby, just get back out there, like my mother did!!

I read Carpathius and thought right..... just got my kit on and did a couple of miles. God it felt sooo good.

Too busy and late at work yesterday, but have just come back from five miles, which did hurt but what a joy to know that I haven't lost everything I've worked for, all those miles over the last few months have not disappeared into the ether.

Thank you all so much. (except for suggesting joining a club!! Disasterous run with club a few weeks ago started the descent into the abyss, much as I really really want the social bit of being in a club, I just can't run at the pitch I have to for the club and it isn't the club, it's me, they were so nice and welcoming, but just too fast and too fit!)

I think a running buddy is a great idea. Two women run past the house every day, might have to trip them up next time they come passed and make them take me with them!

Don't suppose any of you are doing the Great Irish are you? I'd give you all a hug for getting me back on track

• I was literally about to start this thread!  Glad to know I'm not the only one that lost some mojo.  I had a two month break due to some military training, but i went for a slow paced run last week and ended up only being able to run about a mile.  But the next day i ran 3 miles, and 4 the next.  I never really run more then 6 miles in a day, so I'm happy to say I'm back on track!  I think the hardest part was thinking that I'd lost all my previous training.  I've since found a coworker to run with and I already seem to be pushing myself harder to run farther.  I've signed up for 3 5K's in the next month, so hopefully things will start to pick up.  Good luck in the Great Irish race!

• 3 5ks?? What are you doing?

Keep looking at Mudrunner!! Always one for extremes, one minute crying cos I can't leave the house to run a mile and the next minute planning a bit of something extreme. I'd have to walk most of it, but it does look such an adventure (would say fun..but I'm not that daft!)

Have to say, absoultely honestly, two days back running and I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I feel like I've exhaled image It's a very very good feeling

• Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Get used to it, it will probably happen again probably through illness or injury. I've just had 4 weeks off with flu/chest infection and feel like I'm starting all over again. I've missed the first race of the year but I'm going to my club tomorrow to persuade someone the drag me round the 4 miles loop. Think positive light nights start on Sunday
  • Susan

yes i lost mine for the first time ever - it was ( or is ) the after math of benign prostate trouble, i'm mending now, and runinng a bit

only advantage i have over most is my expereince, but i still find it tough at times

when i am actually running i'm fine

oh yes i shoud add - all my runs are pushing my disabled 23 year old in his wheelchair

anyway, get your trainers on , have a drink , go to loo, forget distance and time i go have a plod

• Lot of it about. Mine lasted three weeks, well it's still hanging about but now don't feel like my airways are clogged with tar and coughing exactly like they are!
  • Mick

I just had a look at your website. Inspirational reading and I can completely understand how running might help you through your various challenges.

Heartening too, to hear that you could lose your mojo even after all the running that you've clearly done. Mind you I was exhausted reading your racing schedule! Think I'd want a lie down in a darkened room after all that!

Anyway am reciprocating by sending you positive thoughts to help get back out there and running and thank you for yours to me. image

• Susan

our website is out of date- our friend maintains it and he can only do that when i update him

were on 400 plus races 41 FM, pb 4:03 - 236 HM's Pb 1:43

loads 20's pb 2:58

thats just pushing Philip

my solo best was 24 years ago

but i am trying to say, we can all lose our mojo, we can all get bad days

ive had a migraine and cold for days , and its drained me

but, i have that vital expereince when it comes to dealing with running, fatiuge and pain

• forgot

thankyou - u take care now image xx

• Thanks to Mick and all of you, and those who messaged me separately, I feel , I hope, that I am back on track. How fragile all this is; mind you, that's life. A thin thread is all that separates us in life and death and so no wonder the wall that existed in my mind between running and non-running was in fact a mere silk. Have been running like a demon since Monday but what I've learned more than anything this week is the kindness of strangers.  A strange but wonderful week. Thank you all
  • Hi, first time I think I've posted on here!  I have only been runing since January 2012 and am 60 years old.  I did a 10k last month and a couple of short runs after that - then I had a lot of upper back problems.  It feels easier now but I still haven't been out - I'm afraid I've lost it!  Now I've read these posts I'm inspired again - actually on holiday just now but have my running shoes with me image

• Dear Margaret, that's good to hear! Mick and everyone else really helped me out and I did manage to do the Great Irish which was great despite being freezing, Hope you get a run in on your holiday. If you are in this country you might be dodging the downpours, but actually, I quite like that. If I look like a drowned rat, at least it detracts from the purple face!! It does make me feel really alive too. Hope it goes well!

• Cara HCara H ✭✭✭

Good to hear from others in the same situation as me. As I posted on another thread, I was running consistently 3 times a week, usually 2x 10km and 1x 5-7km. Hot summer, house move, uni course and various other stuff got in the way, but now I'm trying to get back into it after pretty much an 8-9 month lay-off. The hardest thing is definitely making the decision to get out of the door and getting my running kit on. I'm just home from a (nearly) 7k run and feel great. Problem is, I then want to go out again straight away after a shower and coffee (must be the endorphins), but the next day it's the same willpower struggle all over again!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    By the way, just to check... You have looked underneath the sofa and your bed haven't you?
  • Aaaah !! Lol!! That'll be where I've been going wrong!!! Going to check now .......

Ah no! No such luck image Did find a Twix however! Might have that now instead! image

• Cara! I know exactly what you mean!! I come home from run and I think, now Susan why haven't you been doing that every day since you were 12??!!! It was GREAT! Feeling great! And then the next day, I'm back to...."Now who are kidding?? You can't run! Never been able to run! Put the kettle on and watch Jeremy Kyle!! The excuses roll in so easily. Exhausted from work, hungry, sore toe, still not feeling 100% well, have work to do for tomorrow, cats have been on their own all day, need to phone mum, need to phone friend, need to see friend, need bath, need early night.........and it goes on and on. You can see I'm well-practiced in this!! Then I drag myself out, come back euphoric and tomorrow we'll start all over again!!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Do you have a target?

I actually signed up for a marathon before I started running. I know it sounds insane, but it means I have a target / something to aim at.

It means I'm not allowed to feel sorry for my little aches, I've got to get off my backside and train.

I'm not saying this is the way to go, but is it worth setting some sort of target to aim at?
  • Yes have Great North in September. Keeps me out there too....off and on!

I have put in my application for next year's London marathon so we'll just wait and see!

• Cara HCara H ✭✭✭

LOL!! Glad to see I'm not the only one with bipolar enthusiasm! I think booktrunk's idea of a target is good though - I am determined to get back to 10k regular runs since I want to enter a race. I have no idea which race, and that's all rather tricky since I only know my shifts 5 weeks in advance, but even so - I can't race until I can run the distance image Your Marathon target puts me to shame though. And I've just had an email from a mate who has entered a 20 mile race! Still, little baby steps....

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

<grin> i've not put anyone to shame, image i'm not going to look good, or be quick in anyway image This first one will be purely about Survival.  It's 14th October, This Sunday is my first 7k and i've just got to keep my fingers crossed that I don't pick up any serious injury in the next 4 months. EEK it's the 14th today it's literally 4 months today.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Just me and my watch. It's just on my plan that i've got to run 7K image

• can i say as an experienced marathon veteran

there's only so many hours in a day, we either have to fit training in , in that time slot, or we have to  if we wish something  sacrifice  on something, ( biggest killers is addictive rubbish TV, IE soap ) - it will not help your fitness - or you need to make the day longer by getting up earlier or going to bed later 

its easy to lose ones mojo, it only takes a few missed geniune days of training, then we start making silly excuses for not training, and before we know it, we lost it all - or at least the lesser expereinced its difficult

then, when one does get out there ( hydrated - and correct footwear, and any anti chaffer ?? if used - ) cutting corners does not work -

make it enjoyable, not a race, not a choir, every other day, or short run one day, longer run another day - make the pace easy, gentle - or make most of each run easy, and last little bit back really give it what for

trust me, that little and often, easy training, nice and enjoyable will pay divedends- then  if and when one want to, make it longer or harder

my advice would also politely be to anyone - when seeking advice of people - enquire first not so much ( of their expereince ) - but of the furthest distance they have been and in what time

you cannot learn of someone who has never covered the distance your seeking or the time your seeking - if they have not been there  

• Thanks Susan E and everyone else for enthusiastic support!  Planning a short run later today and looking forward to it........ I have a goal of another 10k in September and I'm not the sort to pull out/back down/generally fail - so I do really need to 'put my best foot forward' - preferably both of them image.  Its a sponsored 10k and I don't believe it's right to take the money from generous sponsors if I don't put everything I've got into it.  Will 'report' back later image