Stinky shoes

Who'd have thought - I go running in my Minimus shoes in the tropics and they smell of cheesy wet dogs! Anyone got any tips on how to freshen them up? I am wary of just biffing them in the washing mashine because of all the welded bits on them...

Comments

• Hand wash, then dry with newspaper in them...
  • Or you could try a trick I heard about the other day; put cat litter in your shoes. The absorbent odour eliminating sort. Leave overnight, tip out and... fresh shoes!

Only works with unused cat litter - obviously image

• Thanks, both very helpful - I may go mad and do both!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    small wrote (see)
    Or you could try a trick I heard about the other day; put cat litter in your shoes. The absorbent odour eliminating sort. Leave overnight, tip out and... fresh shoes!

Only works with unused cat litter - obviously image

A friend of mine swears by this. I've never tried it but his shoes always smell pretty decent.
  • Bicarbonate of soda does the same thing, and can be a bit cheaper than cat litter (plus you can use the leftovers, not like cat litter!).
  • Mine smell of....well see my profile
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭

I get this problem with my trail shoes after running through mud in them. I wash them by hand in hot water with planty of daz (or similar) in it. Dry them by stuffing with newspapers and then if they still smell, Scholl do an aerosol that seems to kill anything.

• Thanks all. FYI, this is what the nice man from New Balance said when I wrote to them:

Thank you for writing. I apologise for that smell after using your 00 road shoes. You can scrub your shoes with an old tooth brush or similar soft bristle brush, and a light detergent (dishwashing, laundry or silicon-based cleaning product), then use a damp cloth to wipe clean. Allow your shoes to air dry thoroughly for about twenty-four hours before wearing them again. After washing your shoes by hand, put a dry cloth in the shoe all the way at the end where your toes rest to make sure the front of the shoe does not collapse once it has finished drying. Do NOT put your shoes in the washing machine or use any type of intensive cleaning product like Clorox which can contain bleach. The chemicals in those intensive cleaning products can break the shoes down or cause discoloration.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to my e-mail. Have a nice evening.

Joe S.

• Just leave them outside and only put them on when you go for a run.
  • For me the cedar thing really works incredible! I bought special cedarsoles online and after a few days my smelly problems are already gone. I can only recommend these insoles instead of any home remedy.

• Jeez, Nick, I'd never thought of that. Thanks. Or otherwise, perhaps if you'd read the bit in my original post that mentioned the tropics, you'd have understood that no matter how clean my feet are, they still sweated in the heat. And therefore my cheesy shoes (which aren't anymore, thanks to the helpful replies) have nothing to do with my personal hygiene.