Facebook Privacy

TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
I have a fb account on which I have to say I am not a big poster and really only comment on other people's pages and keep in touch with some younger members of my family.

Mr TS hates any site like that and says that they can 'get' into your computer and do all sorts of nasties!

I was a bit shocked this morning though to see a friend had 'liked' a photo on there which is not on my page (nor anyone else's as it is just a picture of me taken by Mr TS so no chance of a link from someone else).

Anyone got any idea how she can have seen it? Can fb get into your private stuff? Anybody else any experience of this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Was it taken from your phone. Maybe it is linked to automatically load to your Facebook
  • Your photos have setting - set to either be visible to everyone, to only your friends or to you.

You need to change those settings
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Plodding,

I think I have most stuff set to friends.

What I am saying though is the only photos that are on my fb page are ones that other people have put up on their pages which have loaded themselves onto my page and I'm OK with that.

The photo that I am talking about is one that is in my iPhoto and not on fb at all?

Thanks for your help

• Ian MIan M ✭✭✭
    Never used iPhoto, but a quick google suggests that it can sync with facebook. I'd have a look at your settings.
  • Yep - also have a look at your contacts.  The default on the iPhone FB app is to sync your contacts too.  I don't like FB assuming I want the world and their wife as my friend so have switched that off.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

There was a Privacy change a few months ago.

Question: Did Mr TS upload that photo? or did a friend? If someone has uploaded a photo of you, tagged you in it - then your friends can see that photo (even if they're not friends with the person that uploaded it). Does that make sense?

I've had complete randoms "liking" a picture of a friend of mine - turns out that they are "friends of friends of friends" but it's still a bit weird.

• TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Emmy,

No, that's the mystery, it is one of Mr TS's photo's, of just me, that cannot have been uploaded by anyone else.

I am going to pop round to my neighbour who is a fb friend and see what she can see on my page but I think I am going to bin fb as I am only really a lurker and don't use it much and the last thing I want is people, friends or otherwise being able to see my photos!

Thanks for your advice all image
  • Hope it wasn't a really private photo of you.just for his eyes only image
  • lol Seren

- If you click onto your own page, and then do View As ... Public (text at the top of the page) so you can see what is/isn't on display.  You can also do 'view as' and type a friend's name so you can see what she can see.  To change anything, go to Home > Privacy settings and choose the first option How You Connect. You can also limit past post visiblity further down the page.  
    - To control the information being shared by apps, including those apps your friends are using, go to Choose Home > Privacy Settings > Apps and websites then choose
    a) Apps you use. Apps you used or have used in the past can still be using your info. If you Turn off all apps, it means your information will never be shared even if friends are playing games etc but it prevents you from accessing apps, games and websites with your FB ID.
    b) How people bring your info to apps they use - I love the fact FB says people who can see your info "can bring it with them" when they use apps. If you click on Edit Settings you can control what information about you is/ isn't shared. If your H uploaded the image, I'd say it was the security settings on that pic that were wrong for whatever reason. 
  • TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Thanks LN, I have just been and checked my privacy settings and all was pretty much set to private and friends only.

The thing that is mystifying me is that the particular photo is one that only Mr TS & I have, both of us have it in our iPhoto library and no-one else will have it. He doesn't have a fb account so he can't be blamed. Fortunately it is a very boring one, fully clothed and even have wellies on image

Sorry to go on about it but I am absolutely mystified how it came to be in the public domain. i have asked my friend how she saw it and just waiting to hear from her. I have also been to my neighbours to see what peeps can see and you can only see a few that my niece has uploaded.
  • Sorry you had explained almost all that already. I'd go back and check yours and Mr TS's iphoto app settings.  There is a rogue setting in FB that allows automatic tagging of photos by face ID but that shouldnt' appy based on what you've said.
  • I have also set my Facebook to not allow any tagged images of me to show up in my Facebook without my prior approval

So anyone who tags me can see their photo, but unless I want it to be on my page, I don't necessarily approve their tag
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    Oooh, how do you do that? I have to periodically go through and detag myself...
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭

And how do I get this bloody pirate badge off my posts???

Not that there's anything wrong with pirates or indeed badges, It's just that I'm not a pirate and not likely to become a pirate...