Iron Distance 2012 Training Thread

Comments

• Fingers crossed for you Mrs SA - backs are b*ggers, as I know only too well image

• What lovely news Mrs SA ... lets hope it does the trick  image
  • Good day for me today

LUNCH TIME
    Swim easy pace, 2400m in 48mins

PM
    Brick 90min spin then 90min run at Mara pace
  • That's lousy on the bike front Joddly image
    Hope the physio manages to sort the back for you Mrs SA. Nothing worse than injury holding you back.
    I'm at the end of a wonderful few days training in Sancture Sportifs in the south of France. I've learned loads but I've also realised I've so much more to learn.
    Saturday was swim and run analysis, I couldn't believe how wide I was pulling in the swim. Sunday was a 4 hour ride with hills into a 15 minute run, Monday was just under 2.5 hours of hill technique on the bike with an "easy " run in the evening (more like a tempo run for me) followed by 3.4km swim set. Tuesday was the long brick which was a 17km hilly ride into 5.3km run,repeat the bike three times and the run twice as the last bike was a cooldown. Then in the evening when we were all tired with legs that felt like lead, we did a run technique session to show how to run light and easy even if your body feels like lead the way it does in long distance triathlon. This morning is watt bike before going back to Barcelona to fly home. Rest day tomorrow and the massage is already booked!
  • Hope you get sorted Mrs SA, fingers crossed.

• Jeez Orcs... I'll bet the massage is booked!
    I'm going to give those brick repeats a crack. Doing a lot more bricks this season, but typically a mid-length bike followed by a run. The repeats sound enjoyably horrible.

Good luck Mrs SA. You must be a very good daughter in law!

Last night's turbo was cool, in that the time flew rather than dragged. Lunchtime run today. Feels good to be clear of the heavy cold that dogged me through Jan & Feb. Feeling good enough to enter another event!!

• Morning Boys & Gals

Sounds like a great training camp Orca,  I love the sound of warm weather spring training.  Did a couple of brick repeats last year,  typically 2hr bike, 30 min run x2.....all I can say is ouch!  Just finished a 90min strength endurance turbo session,  thought it had been ok until I tried to climb the stairs to my desk,  it shouldn't be that difficult to get up stairs surely!  And I've got a game of squash booked in for later on as well.

Fingers crossed with the Physio MrsSA,  hope he does the job and gets you up and running soon enough.

And hope your bike gets sorted Joddly,  it's more hassle trying to sort out the aftermath with the insurance company than the trauma of the bike being nicked I think.

Happy training todayimage

• Happy training all!

Hotel doesn't have a bike image. Aiming to run today. Looks ilke it ight hit 30degC here is Boston today. 10 degrees hotter in March than previous records. Nice! Will swim tonight too.

• Jaffa_ wrote (see)

thought it had been ok until I tried to climb the stairs to my desk,

stairs to your desk!!!!!! you got some sort of giants desk that has stairs to it?
  • I've picked up my first cold for a couple of years and I had to drag myself through a heavy pool endurance session last night. 

I CBA'd with my bike this morning but settled on a cycle to nowhere in particular, which clocked out at just over 42 miles by the time I turned into my street.  The route took me along the North Antrim Coastline, past Royal Portrush GC and on beyond the Giants Causeway before turning inland and heading home.  A beautiful, if overcast and slightly breezy morning.

Feel like shit now but I didn't actually feel too bad whilst on the bike and without my cold I could have undoubtedly clocked 80 miles.  I checked my Garmin average speed and it read over 17mph which wasn't too bad for the route and the way I feel.

• All is good in sunny Kernow image great 22 mile commute in this morning via the hilly scenic route with spring in all its glory, a nice 40 min dinnertime run with some speedy stuff chucked in with no problemsimage i am even off to the pool at 4 to get a grip on this swim malarky image truly i am back in the game image
  • Max ... great news mate

VT'd ... well man'd up image
  • The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    Jaffa_ wrote (see)

stairs to your desk!!!!!! you got some sort of giants desk that has stairs to it?

You do make me chuckle, Q.

Just waved my wife off for a training ride on my bike. I'm preparing to file it in the "no good will come of this" box.

• The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    Jaffa_ wrote (see)

You've seen the length of my diddly little legs mate,  I need stairs to get everywhereimage
  • Good luck woth the physio Mrs. SA. really hope you can get sorted and resume running.  If not justr sorted and no back pain will be a winner.

slowerthanilook wrote (see)

Just waved my wife off for a training ride on my bike. I'm preparing to file it in the "no good will come of this" box.

Agreed. Now I really want a carbon bike and yours is too big. Lock your credit card up.image

• Another good (for me) day

LUNCH TIME
    - Weights session

PM
    - 2hr zone 1/2 riverside run

My legs are sore so I'm glad that tomorrow is a recovery day image
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Don't you think there's something rather satisfying about a recovery day when you really need it, Will?

I'm still grieving for my stolen bike, and trying to contact local clubs. I'd like to post on the Team MK site, as they're nearby, but I'm not a member. I wonder if Slim or Max's bro might be persuaded to ask them to keep a look out for a small (50cm) black & white Colnago World Cup cyclocross bike with (perhaps still) eggbeater pedals and a black Selle saddle?

Meanwhile I will resurrect my old commuter, which had been consigned to the turbo, at the weekend.
  • Joddly I do know someone who is if the boys cant help just let me know

Keep a look out on Gumtree as well
  • Joddly - when my MTB was stolen, I was advised to inform all local cycle shops especially if you can let them know the frame number in case it came in for repair or service.  I was told local cycle shops will inform the police if a stolen bike comes their way
  • Nice turbo this morning for 50 minutes but i think it will soon be time to chuck it in the cupboard for the year as the morninngs are getting better all the time got an hours run and sea swim planned for this evening followed by carbo loading with fish n chips image
  • Joddly i will give my bruv a ring and also ask him to put in on his MK facebook contacts
  • joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Max, and everyone else for all your help.
  • joddly wrote (see)
    . I'd like to post on the Team MK site, as they're nearby, but I'm not a member.

Most clubs are happy to put something like this up on their sites even for non members - partly fellow feeling, partly because they know it could so easily be one of their members - I know our tri club has these alerts up on quite a regular basis (unfortunately) - worth asking anyway

hope something comes of it

•  Ok....my running is really strong, pacing myself at high end Z2, avg 76%,of max HR which is on the mark, towards the end of my run I increase my pace and max was at 94%, last night max was 96%.  Am I wrong to be pushing myself to my near max HR or is this the norm as fitness improves. I dont feel any ill effects after a run, in fact i feel really good....any comments would be helpful.
    Another 5 miles last night high end Z2 but it felt tough.
  • Razor i generally try to do the same with my runs make em "quality" and stick a bit of omph intowards the end but i am always mindfull that i do not push it so hard that i accumulate fatigue into the next session
  • Bit of a recovery day for me today as i have a long drive North this afternoon/evening

LUNCH TIME
    - Swim - 2400m
    - tried to push the pace a bit but failed ... 48mins
  • Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

First physio appointment this morning.   Never thought a sports massage would hurt so much image I had to apologise for swearing at one point.   The Physio seems to think my back problem stems from poor stomach/pelvic floor muscles which is tilting the pelvis when i run and causing the compressed nerve.   As i write this i am sat on a gym ball !   Very good for strengthening the stomach and pelvic muscles I was informed .

• That's good (I think) Mrs SA isn't it?
    Were they able to give you any timeline on when you could expect to see improvement?

Max, did you say Sea-Swim??? Good grief, it's a bit early for me, it'll be another month before I brave the great outdoors for a sea swim!
    Legs feel good after this morning's massage but I'm enjoying my rest day. Have to do things like grocery shopping and throwing out anything that went green in the fridge while I was away this evening!

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Orca - no unfortunately she didn't.  Its a case of how longs a piece of string.   She was very thorough and keen to get me out there running again though.   Lets hope its weeks as opposed to months.

My next appointment is next Thursday and i have been asked to go for a run on the Wednesday night to "aggrevate" my sciatica.  Sounds harsh, i know, but when i see her the next day obviously in some discomfort it will give her a point to work from (if that makes sense!!)