Getting caught short

A bit of a rude topic here, but has anyone got caught short? In other words, have they done a run, a half marathon etc, and their bowels / bladder have demanded to be emptied whilst going round?

I say this, since aside from the fear of getting a stich, or not completing the race, i am always afraid of my body taking over with its functions. I have only had it happen to me once, when i was doing a training run, and i had to rush into a Starbucks.

I think i understand why so many people are queing for the toilet before a race, and i always make sure i am completely..well you know...before i go on the starting blocks...

So anyone got any stories? Fool proof methods of beating this? And really, what does one do, when you need to dump, for lack of the better word. Is there any rules with running etiquette?

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I had to pee during a marathon once (well, it was the Marathon du Medoc, too much wine, you know!).

I went behind a wall at the edge of a field.

Other people (men) were none too bothered about watering the vines in full view.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Immodium, watching diet before a race (reducing veggies a few days before) does the trick for me!
  • Ghostrider,

it's known in the trade as runners trots.  If you stick that into the search box at the top (assuming that it plays ball) you'll find lots of previous discussion on this.

Some people use imodium, others have found that by cutting xxxxx out of their diet the situation improves (where xxxxx can be dairy, caffeine, fibre etc) and some people accept its just going to happen and either have a favourite bush or run a short loop from home, come back, use the loo and then carry on with their run.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the latter category and carry bags with me to clean up the mess - I often hope people assume I have a dog along with me somewhere as I head towards the dog poo bins (although as my bag usually has tissue in too  not sure what people think!!) - I usually take 3 immodium instants in the hours before a race.
  • Good advice thanks. I know what Joggers Trots is. When i first started running properly i used to get bad diarrhoea after the run. I've learnt the hard way with that one.
  • Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭
    Immodium before a race, but on training runs i'm surrounded by fields and lanes so a doggy bag and wet wipe in the pocket in my shorts just incase of an emergency! Only once, in a field near Bampton has this been required.
  • i often have this problem, but mostly its like pre-show nerves. need to pee constantly before the race but once it starts im too busy focusing on what im doing i forget about it.
  • I have experienced this since forever and can't seem to totally cure it but to help prevent it.
    With me, I have found milk products to be a main culprit, so maybe lactose intolerant?? All-bran I have to stay off too, and same with veggies, just reduce them. Sounds a lot but it's worth not having to feel like you're going to explode.
  • This is why I dont eat or drink the morning before a race or long run.

I have seen runners drinking before a race rather than warming up only to need a piss minutes after the start. Nerves made them drink, the movement of running did the rest.

Hydrate and fuel your body in the days before. Eat and drink light the evening before. Dont eat anything after 8 pm. Listen to your body take notice when you go to the toilet in relation to excercise.

If you must eat eat very light. Very . No bowls of porridge. No full fry ups. 3 hours before a race is safe.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=13665

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    i was on a training run and was despite to go luckly i was passing some toliets so shot in quick
  • That's why I never take part in evening races, I just don't perform well then so never bother with them. In the morning it's ok, even if I have a dodgy stomach in a race itself it's ok and that's because of adrenaline and distraction. I used to have a problem with runners trot when I trained in the evening, now I run in the morning and don't have the problem anymore.
  • Never eat fish and chips the evening before a run. Especially if the piece of cod is twice as long as your head is wide.

5 minutes into this morning run and that fish supper wanted to return to the ocean so to speak.

Oh and to those who hope that running will give you that flat hard stomach. It can, but because you will have less slack there so to speak when you have to go you have to go.

This last piece of info I got from a once less than svelt friend.

• i havent yet had that, my brother has that happen every time though.
  • Food / drink has never affected my running.

I've done the 'recommended' pasta meal etc the night before, but I've also had a huge takeaway chinese and beer. I also had a huge fry-up on the morning of GNR 2010. 

Come to think of it, my best times have been after a dirty food binge!