Sat 24 March 2012

RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Morning all

off for a slow Parkrun before Eatleigh 10k tomorrow, all the family involved except the daughter who goes back to uni for a shift at the hospital later.

Take care

Comments

• Morning.

Sounds like a nice family outing planned there RFJ. Is daughter is nurse training?

Alehouse - glad to hear that breathing, at least, has improved.

What:             short, easy, run.
    Why:               it's nearly a rest day.
    Last hard:     22/1
    Last rest:       3/3

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    LMH, yes, 1st year... she is on her 1st placement and had her first experience of someone dying on her on her last shift on Weds.
  • Morning

Yesterdays Lyrics:'Radio GaGa by Queen from the mid 1980s

What: Run later

Why: Things to do.

Have a good one, if you can

• Awww RFJ, tell her it gets better! Is she enjoying it? Adult or mental health branch?
  • alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Thank you for the pilates advice, will sign up for the session next week and see how it goes.

Rest day yesterday...was hoping to swim today but the pool on the caravan site is not open image So may run today instead of tomorrow...depends what the wife and kids want to do when they get back from horse riding. At least I havehad a run every other day since last Sunday...so 3 runs in the last week and a swim. They may not have been very far but it all counts and I'd better lose some weight this week! image

What: maybe a 3.5 mile run later
    Why: Trying to get a routine
    Last hard: ?
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: I think so, but not entirely sure image

Have a great weekend all

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

RFJ - nice when all the family takes part. We had a couple of runs like that, when the kids were still small enough to be doing fun runs. Then they/we started sailing. We did that as a family too, throughout their teenage years. Verrry useful. Good luck with Eastleigh.

alex - are you on hols? Always difficult to get into a routine in those circumstances. Well done for managing to get out.

Me? Almost 10 miles. Intended to run 12. Really lovely running though. After months of struggling the ability to run 6 miles, thinking hey, I used to be hurting by this point, and now I'm cruising past it. The madopar seems to be making a huge difference at the mo. Ok, ran out of go abruptly at about 8 miles, fought on for a bit, but decided in the end to cut it short and walk home. Next time I will take a second dose to take half way see what difference that makes. The nice thing is that this stuff comes in doses way way under any maximum, so I can experiment.

Go carefully all.
  • G'day.

26 miles d&d. Went out intending to do 24 at least with a target of 25. Felt good and weather so nice that i kept going. Felt good and finished strong. I know some peers say not to run the distance but its a formula I've tried before. Its also a great confidence boost. I rehearsed my pre-race routine (breakfast etc), ran in my shoes for race day and took on some lucozade sport. All went well so all positive here. Next week is another big one, then with Mad March over its in to Taper Time with all its paranoia, neurotic tendencies etc. Oh, the joy.

Thought - my race package hasn't arrived yet - can anyone tell me if it should have arrived by now??

Stick - did I miss something during my absence (the Madopar??)
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nice running Paddy

LMH - Adult Nursing with a preference towards pallative care, at present

Jnr is likely to get a good time tomorrow if he can keep his head in place, he had a 19:26 2 weeks ago over 5K, I will be happy with anything near to 42:30 and that will be hard....

Lovely parkrun with Mrs RFJ this morning, jrn a few mins ahead of us, but all nicely prepared for tomorrow.

Take care

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon from a pleasant Leicestershire (visiting mum). Unusually not as warm as the north west though. LMH: shouted hello on the way!

What: nothing

Lyrics: no

RFJ: Yes it's quite tough mentally working in a hospital when young: when I was 17 I worked at a hospital as a porter at the weekends...working in the "winter gardens" as the ice cold mortuary was known, was rather traumatic.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Sounds like a good family day out RFJ.

Stickless - the Madopar seems to be making a world of difference to you. It's great that you can experiment with and adjust the dose so much too.

Paddy - I won't be going as far tomorrow but hope to feel as good! Not so atthe moment though, think it's just cumulative fatigue as I remember saying last week that I'd rather run the 20 and then lose a couple of days to illness than not run the 20, feeling on the edge of unwell again today - despite just a 30 minute run. I'm hoping that turning my head round and going out with no more intent than bimbling round comfortably will at least get me my 20 miles in the three hours coach has allowed.

Alehouse - we didn't warm up until afetr lunch - very foggy this morning.

Hope the scales are kind Alex - when is weigh in day?

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Paddy - the madopar is a dopamine preparation. An imaginative registrar authorised its use as a training aid some time ago, but then I wasn't doing any long runs, and so didn't try it. Now I have been trying it, and wow! What a difference. It's interesting to have a way of separating out the lack of dopamine effect from the lack of fuelling/lack of training effects.

Actually, I have a theory. I reckon that some who hit the wall in marathons do so because they too run short of dopamine. Even ordinary people can use up their supply. Of course, fuelling and hydration problems can also stop you in your tracks the same way. I think the clue which might indicate dopamine supply problems might be cramping. I have avoided the killer adductor cramps following running when I have resupplied the dopamine stocks. You don't need madopar - a generous helping of broadbeans will do it. I think I can tell what is fuelling/hydration/general fatigue problem and what is dopamine problem because for me the dopamine problem is strongly left-sided. If my right leg is working and my left leg isn't, it probably is not fuelling/training/hydration.

On the other hand, and more interestingly, I suspect part of training is that by challenging the dopamine supplies in training, you build up the capacity to make it. Which is a very interesting thought for us pd folk.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    ..and very impressive run. Let's just hope the gods of marathon are kind now, and nothing goes pear shaped in the coming weeks.